Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - OT

Posts 7,201 to 7,220 of 27,917

Captain_Toad

Heh, Sakurai made little mac work in the smash series with it's limited moveset, and the Ice climbers (they only have one game), and the Wii Fit Trainer and captain falcon of all people. So I don't think that making pacman work be too much of a problem for him especially with the world games under pac's belt.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

UGXwolf

@Captain_Toad Those are all terrible arguments. There's a lot you can do with just punches, and characters with no physical in-game background are blank slates who would be perfect for creative flow. Pac-man is neither of these. He's a yellow dot that wanders around a maze, eating pellets and blue ghosts, and occasionally, lives with a family and appears to be bi-polar. Pac-man World isn't exactly iconic, and his recent appearance in Ghostly Adventuresis hardly something I'd shoot for, if I were Sakurai. I simply CANNOT think of an interesting way to portray this character.

Lloyd, Cless, Klonoa, or even some extremely obscure character I haven't even heard of would make a better addition to the roster. If they choose Pac-man, it's purely because of his iconic status and not because Sakurai can make an interesting character out of him.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

UGXwolf

I see nothing wrong with certain clones. Ness and Lucas are good clones. Fox and Wolf are good clones. Mario and Luigi are good ex-clones. Fix and Falco are bad clones. Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are bad clones. Link and Young/Toon Link are bad clones. See the difference?

Tsuchinoko

UGXwolf wrote:

@Captain_Toad Those are all terrible arguments. There's a lot you can do with just punches, and characters with no physical in-game background are blank slates who would be perfect for creative flow. Pac-man is neither of these. He's a yellow dot that wanders around a maze, eating pellets and blue ghosts, and occasionally, lives with a family and appears to be bi-polar. Pac-man World isn't exactly iconic, and his recent appearance in Ghostly Adventuresis hardly something I'd shoot for, if I were Sakurai. I simply CANNOT think of an interesting way to portray this character.

Lloyd, Cless, Klonoa, or even some extremely obscure character I haven't even heard of would make a better addition to the roster. If they choose Pac-man, it's purely because of his iconic status and not because Sakurai can make an interesting character out of him.

Exactly this!

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Eel

Pacman has had legs and arms for almost 20 years now.

The "he's only a yellow dot that eats stuff" argument is about as invalid as saying Mario's only powers are jumping and using a hammer.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

UGXwolf

Moorpheel wrote:

Pacman has had legs and arms for almost 20 years now.

The "he's only a yellow dot that eats stuff" argument is about as invalid as saying Mario's only powers are jumping and using a hammer.

If you thought that was the whole argument, then you didn't read my post. His other appearances fail entirely to come anywhere near the level of popularity the original yellow dot had. He's an icon and nothing more. I don't feel he would make an interesting or even a unique fighter, as the only things I've seen him do in a very long time are roll around (Sonic) and eat stuff (Wario).

SparkOfSpirit

The question is, if Pac-Man is in the game... why have they not announced him yet? I mean, Mega Man and Sonic were revealed rather quickly, so why not Pac-Man? That seems like the type of thing you'd throw out there as quickly as possible.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Justlink

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

The question is, if Pac-Man is in the game... why have they not announced him yet? I mean, Mega Man and Sonic were revealed rather quickly, so why not Pac-Man? That seems like the type of thing you'd throw out there as quickly as possible.

They want hype to be introduced and if he is there, if people keep begging and he's revealed, it makes people feel nintendo listens

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Tsuchinoko

justlink wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

They want hype to be introduced and if he is there, if people keep begging and he's revealed, it makes people feel nintendo listens

But, are there really large groups of Pac-man fans begging for his inclusion?

Justlink

Tsuchinoko wrote:

justlink wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

But, are there really large groups of Pac-man fans begging for his inclusion?

then i guss he's coming soon

Do you like videogames? If so, you must know
It's dangerous to go Alone.

Blast

If Pac-man joins the roster.. then who will cheer?

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

ZurrrrBlattTron

So this is kinda off topic but I noticed sonic looks overly happy in all his screenshots I find it funyy he looked like someone Hijacked his chile dog stand in brawl, and looks like "YEAH ALRIGHT!" ehhhh

ZurrrrBlattTron

Twitter:

DefHalan

siconlol wrote:

So this is kinda off topic but I noticed sonic looks overly happy in all his screenshots I find it funyy he looked like someone Hijacked his chile dog stand in brawl, and looks like "YEAH ALRIGHT!" ehhhh

He got his chile dog back

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Tsuchinoko

DefHalan wrote:

siconlol wrote:

He got his chile dog back

i wasnt aware of any Chilean breeds of dogs. Learn something new every day. Yay

Arminillo

I am here to fight for PAC-MAN! (cue fanfare and confetti) Pac-Man will be the Namco representative, if Nintendo so chooses to have one.

(http://www.gonintendo.com/s/226882-pac-man-scores-new-licensees-amid-strong-international-roll-out)

This link is a press release concern new licensing agreements over the Pac-Man & the Ghostly Adventures property. "The TV series has performed very well in all key markets including Spain, France, UK, Russia, Israel, India, Korea, Eastern Europe, Turkey and Canada improving time slots in all cases and ranking at the top of the ratings charts." Bandai-Namco and 41 Entertainment, the company in charge of manages the TV series, consider the new Pac-Man to be a very worthwhile and so far successful endeavor. However, something to take away from this article is that the US is not mentioned as "performing well in key markets". This may lend to an over illusion to citizens of that area that the property is of little impact. That is simply not the case, as this article and also the recent announcement of a sequel to the original Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures video game suggests.

Bandai-Namco is being very aggressive in the marketing and goal of increasing the profitability of Pac-Man, as evidenced in this article. What better way than to promote him in a game known for revitalizing series and garnering massive publicity? Super Smash Bros. has singlehandedly brought the Fire Emblem series to western markets, and gave Kid Icarus a rebirth over 15 years since its last game. The boost that would be given to this brand they are fighting so hard to improve would be massive, thanks to an appearance in the game Bamco is codeveloping.

On Nintendo's side, people are very excited for new characters announced for Smash Bros., the Mega Man reveal at E3 2013 rocked the internet, initially overshadowing fellow newcomers Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Having iconic characters announced for the game grabs the interest of the entire gaming community, and brings attention to Nintendo's struggling Wii U console. Introducing Pac-Man to the upcoming game would grab headlines and even cross over to the casuals who remember Pac-Man from their youth. Maybe they will even learn of the new TV show and merchandise?

In addition to the exposure Bamco actively searches for, Pac-Man would be a formidable fighter in the new Smash Bros. In addition to his classic run-and-chomp antics, he gained new moves in the Pac-Man World video games: The Butt Stomp, a leaping stomp that can be tripled in succession and send shockwaves, the Pac-Dot Shoot, in which he fires a Pac-Dot from his hand, and the Rev Roll, a move similar to Sonic's signature Spin Dash. In the new Ghostly Adventures property, he gains a ton of new abilities thanks to the array of Power Berries newly introduced to the series.
(http://pacman.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Berries)

Pac-Man is likely prioritized to be in Smash by Bamco more than any other character they have. Why else would Bamco develop a sequel to a game that only made 0.05 million in sales on the Wii U and 3DS combined, according to VGChartz? Simple, they want the success of the TV show to translate to game sales, and for the property as a whole to breach the coveted US market. And right now, they have a great chance of pushing that forward with Pac-Man's appearance in the new Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.
(http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72173/pac-man-and-the-ghostly-adventures/)

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Tsuchinoko

@suicune gotcha

Arminillo

Fear my wall of textual information.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Nintendo6400

To be honest I really think pac man is the only other 3rd party character that can make the list. I can't see anyone else Who could fit the list. I don't even care if he makes it or not.

Edited on by Nintendo6400

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

FriedSquid

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

No, Mega Man is the type of thing you'd throw out there as quickly as possible, and that's exactly what they did. The fanbase of people that want him in are much larger than those who want Pac Man.

If Pac Man will be in, then they would probably reveal him at E3 this year. Along with game demos, that could garner lots of interest in the game perhaps a few months or weeks before the 3DS version is released.

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Blast

Pac-Man gets revealed to be in the roster at E3
12 people cheer and scream

Mega Man gets revealed to be in the roster
hype intensifies because Mega Man is getting love that he deserves

I have nothing against Pac-Man. He's iconic but c'mon... he's relevancy is over....

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic