Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 401 to 420 of 14,636

iKhan

Here's what I'd say. If Splatoon were a multiplayer only game, then having stats in the clothes would be a big deal. But it seems like it has a robust single player mode, so stats aren't that big a deal.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

Here's what I'd say. If Splatoon were a multiplayer only game, then having stats in the clothes would be a big deal. But it seems like it has a robust single player mode, so stats aren't that big a deal.

Why does the single player matter in this case? The stats don't magically not matter because there's an extra gameplay mode. It just helps you grind.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

shingi_70

iKhan wrote:

It makes me wonder what the legs the multiplayer will have. Nintendo hasn't shown off much of the multiplayer other than the first gameplay mode. Smash and Mario Kart have pretty thriving communities so I could see this staying alive based on that.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Why does the single player matter in this case? The stats don't magically not matter because there's an extra gameplay mode. It just helps you grind.

Because the multiplayer isn't just a massive difficulty cliff that you have to overcome to get the game going. There is a single player mode that gets you more up-to-speed stat-wise.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Retro_on_theGo

iKhan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Because the multiplayer isn't just a massive difficulty cliff that you have to overcome to get the game going. There is a single player mode that gets you more up-to-speed stat-wise.

According to the direct you gain experience from playing online. I didn't hear a mention of single player helping you out.

CanisWolfred

Nicolai wrote:

cookiex wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

It might be that clothes and levels are a really small tweak, and that you can play without worrying about those stats and still do well. I often ignore upgrades and weapons in games like Hyrule Warriors, where I beat hard mode no problem without finding better weapons, and forgot about the skill tree when I got bored of it.

You're seriously gonna need better weapons and upgrade your skill tree if you ever want to survive hero mode though.

Yeah I probably would have to. It's no fun for me, though. An increase of skill should be the player getting better at the game, not upgrades and leveled-up stats.

That's...not how Warriors games work, though. :/

Anyways, so long as they do it right (and it shouldn't be hard, it not like there aren't a bajillion examples to look at as a general guide), they won't really have much in terms of "stats" other than different weapons and perks do different things. There's no "getting better through grinding" just having more options the more you play. The starter weapons in Call of Duty, for instance, are perfectly capable of taking down a seasoned player, it's just that the seasoned player has more choices as to what they bring to the battle. Of course, we need more information before we can discuss more...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MsJubilee

shingi_70 wrote:

midnafanboy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

They only said "Strength and Speed" so I may be jumping the gun. Hopefully I'm just overreacting and I'm willing to bet I am lol. If it adds another fun, fair layer of depth to the game then I have nothing to complain about.

EDIT: WAAAIIT! I just rewatched the trailer. There is levels in this game! crap that is worrying. :/

Why is it worrying?

A lot of time it can mess with balance which why a lot of the better arena shooters don't do custom loadouts or stats with clothing. At the very least I could take weapons but not clothes having stats. Halo 4 jumped heavy into the custom loadouts and it really screwed a lot of the balance for certain modes.

My tagline for Splatton is the year's 2nd best Arena shooter.

Wow that is a little worrying

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kkslider5552000

I don't think Nintendo would pull something like that, at least to that degree. They love making their multiplayer games extremely accessible to noobs.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

Are people really worried about Splatoon on a competitive level? This isn't Pokemon. This is just like Mario Kart 8, in my opinion.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

Blast wrote:

Are people really worried about Splatoon on a competitive level? This isn't Pokemon. This is just like Mario Kart 8, in my opinion.

Oh don't worry people are going to make Splatoon competitive like in a day or two after it's release.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Retro_on_theGo

Blast wrote:

While that can be true, that's not my issue. It's accessibility. I want to have fun online. Does that mean I'm automatically playing competitive? No. I just don't want myself or newer players to be put randomly into lobby's with people way overpowered ruining their online experience. And I'd hate for all the fun customization options being kind of pointless by going online and seeing almost everyone wearing the same thing, even if I do wear whatever I want, ignoring the "best class" or something.

And it doesn't need to be competitive for balance to matter. You bring up Mario Kart as a casual example. Guess what? People hated the Blue Shell in Wii. It got balanced in 8.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

Drobotic

Blast wrote:

I can see that as a problem.Like people finding exploits or playing really cheap in the game.Since we still haven't seen THAT much on the game,I can't really say for sure,but I'm pretty sure people will find some way to make Splatoon some kind of competition.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

shingi_70

Blast wrote:

The type of game it automatically makes it competitive, especially if there's a straight up deathmatch mode. I mean smash brothers isn't inherently competitive (nor any fighting game) however you see Nintendo is partnering with APEX.

I mean with the information we know of the game right now I could break down ow a gameplay video of this can turn into a competitive game.

One thing to note is i'm super happy that this isn't a Metroid games. Everyone typically says Metroid should be Nintendo's Uber awesome shooter IP for multiplayer and single player. However the problem is that most people just want to console war it up and have a Halo clone so to speak. If Sony has taught us anything is that when your making a game you don't want to make a insert game killer as it becomes highly derivative.

Splatoon is uniquely Nintendo which is how it should be.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Blast

I'm just saying this is the first entry in the series. Of course there's gonna be problems on a "competitive" level but I'm gonna say this as nice as possible... "Get good."

Master of the Hype Train

Nicolai

Blast wrote:

I'm just saying this is the first entry in the series. Of course there's gonna be problems on a "competitive" level but I'm gonna say this as nice as possible... "Get good."

I plan on getting good at it, but I'd prefer to do that by playing the game, not by sorting through the mall for clothes. It's boring enough when I have to take my girlfriend shopping.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Zyon

I'm pretty sure both player stats and clothing bonuses only adds a little to your overall character. I'd doubt the developers for Splatoon would want players becoming OP just because their at a high level with a certain combination of clothes. I bet it'll come down to pure skill on how you play. Just like in Mario Kart 8 where the combination of kart parts doesn't really matter, it all comes down how well you play.

If you have a good strategy and skill you'll do great.

Zyon

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4646-2043 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyon17

erv

Seeing as the game is out already where I live, I can confirm that the stats ruin everything.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

JoyBoy

^ Exactly. What the heck are you guys talking about!?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Blast

Zyon wrote:

I'm pretty sure both player stats and clothing bonuses only adds a little to your overall character. I'd doubt the developers for Splatoon would want players becoming OP just because their at a high level with a certain combination of clothes. I bet it'll come down to pure skill on how you play. Just like in Mario Kart 8 where the combination of kart parts doesn't really matter, it all comes down how well you play.

If you have a good strategy and skill you'll do great.

Exactly

Master of the Hype Train

iKhan

erv wrote:

Seeing as the game is out already where I live, I can confirm that the stats ruin everything.

You live in the future?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic