Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 381 to 400 of 14,636

Retro_on_theGo

They only said "Strength and Speed" so I may be jumping the gun. Hopefully I'm just overreacting and I'm willing to bet I am lol. If it adds another fun, fair layer of depth to the game then I have nothing to complain about.

EDIT: WAAAIIT! I just rewatched the trailer. There is levels in this game! crap that is worrying. :/

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

Blast

Wow... Hype is real for this game

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MsJubilee

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

They only said "Strength and Speed" so I may be jumping the gun. Hopefully I'm just overreacting and I'm willing to bet I am lol. If it adds another fun, fair layer of depth to the game then I have nothing to complain about.

EDIT: WAAAIIT! I just rewatched the trailer. There is levels in this game! crap that is worrying. :/

Why is it worrying?

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Nicolai

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Oh shoot, I hope it doesn't make things unbalanced for new players.

It might be that clothes and levels are a really small tweak, and that you can play without worrying about those stats and still do well. I often ignore upgrades and weapons in games like Hyrule Warriors, where I beat hard mode no problem without finding better weapons, and forgot about the skill tree when I got bored of it.

Hopefully it doesn't become a necessity. Bill Trinen did say "if you want, you can focus on your looks rather than your strategy."

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

CanisWolfred

Yeah, they mentioned customization and progression. We'll see how they handle it, but it's...sounding like a system that's been in place since Counter-Strike. It's a popular system, I'll give it that. I would've prefered old-school weapon-gathering, but that can be problematic, too, and doesn't have much reason for continous play other than to get better at the game or just have fun.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

PrincessSugoi

A leveling up system gives me more incentive to grind and play online so I'm fine with it. Man, this game's style is so up my alley. Loving everything.

Current Playlist: Age of Calamity, Stardew Valley, ACNH

Hopeless permanent resident of Idol Hell.

3DS Friend Code: 4184-2503-1604 | Nintendo Network ID: sasamitails

Randomname19

Nintendo and SEGA have to make this happen.Even as paid DLC,just do it:
Untitled

Edited on by Randomname19

Avatar by AzulieZeiro and BeanMChocolate

cookiex

Nicolai wrote:

It might be that clothes and levels are a really small tweak, and that you can play without worrying about those stats and still do well. I often ignore upgrades and weapons in games like Hyrule Warriors, where I beat hard mode no problem without finding better weapons, and forgot about the skill tree when I got bored of it.

You're seriously gonna need better weapons and upgrade your skill tree if you ever want to survive hero mode though.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Nicolai

cookiex wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

You're seriously gonna need better weapons and upgrade your skill tree if you ever want to survive hero mode though.

Yeah I probably would have to. It's no fun for me, though. An increase of skill should be the player getting better at the game, not upgrades and leveled-up stats.

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

MegaMari0

Hoping there's a vanilla online mode and a ranked/lvling online mode. Vanilla for those who want a level playing field with no clear cut advantages based purely on skill. Like For glory in Smash. the other mode will include all the level progression and stuff.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

DefHalan

munchakoopas wrote:

Hoping there's a vanilla online mode and a ranked/lvling online mode. Vanilla for those who want a level playing field with no clear cut advantages based purely on skill. Like For glory in Smash. the other mode will include all the level progression and stuff.

I think "Ranked" could keep the weapons loadouts but just disable the stats from clothing, while "Public" matches have the clothing stats. "Private" matches, the ones you create and friends join, would have your custom rules.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

MegaMari0

DefHalan wrote:

munchakoopas wrote:

I think "Ranked" could keep the weapons loadouts but just disable the stats from clothing, while "Public" matches have the clothing stats. "Private" matches, the ones you create and friends join, would have your custom rules.

Thank you. that seems much more reasonable.

Nicolai

DefHalan wrote:

munchakoopas wrote:

I would love that, to have the option. Nintendo has notoriously been against giving their customers options, but I think that might be changing, especially with some things we've seen recently.

Got married.

Yoshi

So, essentially, a For Fun and a For Glory mode? That'll work...

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Inkling

NintyMan wrote:

Better view of the boxart:
Untitled

That looks awesome! HYPE MODE

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

MegaMari0

change the splats of color and the ink to flamethrower RED fluids and it's a rated M fried calamari game.

Retro_on_theGo

midnafanboy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Why is it worrying?

Because it's limiting. I don't want to worry abouty how my stats will end up, I just want my squid to look cool.

You can say just ignore the stats, but multiplayer is clearly the big focus of the game, and is the mode I will be playing the most. If the stats make a big difference, I'll have to worry about having the "better" stuff to actually win online and not get frustrated from constant loss.

It's just unecessary. I would have been ecstatic with customizable clothing but tacking on stats like this is something I just hate in online games. In addition to what I already said, it creates a barrier for new players. People who get it later will have to grind to get up to speed if the match making isn't good.
And even for someone who likes the game but is only mid level, they could get stuck in a lobby of all maxed out people and it will suck.

This is all assuming the leveling system even has a big impact. But if they're even bothering to include it it probably does. I'd love to be wrong though, because I've been so so hyped for this game until this piece of news. Still hyped, its just slightly annoying.

Nicolai

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

It's just unecessary. I would have been ecstatic with customizable clothing but tacking on stats like this is something I just hate in online games. In addition to what I already said, it creates a barrier for new players. People who get it later will have to grind to get up to speed if the match making isn't good.
And even for someone who likes the game but is only mid level, they could get stuck in a lobby of all maxed out people and it will suck.

This is exactly how I feel. When I lose in a game, I want it to be because I wasn't good enough at shooting and tactics, not because I had the wrong equipment.

Got married.

shingi_70

midnafanboy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Why is it worrying?

A lot of time it can mess with balance which why a lot of the better arena shooters don't do custom loadouts or stats with clothing. At the very least I could take weapons but not clothes having stats. Halo 4 jumped heavy into the custom loadouts and it really screwed a lot of the balance for certain modes.

My tagline for Splatton is the year's 2nd best Arena shooter.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic