Forums

Topic: Should Nintendo jump in the HD Remaster, Remake and Ports Craze?

Posts 101 to 119 of 119

Blast

BensonUii wrote:

GC HD remakes please! Sunshine, Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Path of Radiance and throw in Radiant Dawn Wii, Pikmin 1&2 HD to complete the trilogy on the Wii U.

THESE are examples of remakes I would like to see, personally.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

SkywardLink98

Dipper723 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

They've already "jumped in the craze" with Legend of Zelda, but Nintendo needs to focus on new titles and leaving the "Nintendo only does rehashes" image behind. Ports/remasters/remakes will not help with that.

Nah, those are just trolls. Almost every game company does the same franchises over and over again. They just like to single out Nintendo, because they're an easy target,.

Nintendo makes themselves an easy target with games like New Super Mario Bros. 2 and yearly Pokemon releases.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Blast

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Dipper723 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

They've already "jumped in the craze" with Legend of Zelda, but Nintendo needs to focus on new titles and leaving the "Nintendo only does rehashes" image behind. Ports/remasters/remakes will not help with that.

Nah, those are just trolls. Almost every game company does the same franchises over and over again. They just like to single out Nintendo, because they're an easy target,.

Nintendo makes themselves an easy target with games like New Super Mario Bros. 2 and yearly Pokemon releases.

@SkywardLink98 Ohmygawd. Are you really doing this? Well... The yearly Pokemon games are never garbage, at least. Lol

Edited on by Blast

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

skywake

As derivative as New SMB is it has hardly been milked in terms of frequency of release. You can hardly whine about a game that has to this point only received one game per console and you have to be pretty thankful they haven't pushed it more when combined they've sold 70mill units. We're talking about a game that's about as frequently released as Halo, Uncharted or Zelda but has sold an order of magnitude more. For crying out loud, in the first half of the 2000s Metroid was getting more frequent releases than New SMB has gotten.

With Pokemon it is a game that has become a yearly release in the same way that you see for Assassin's Creed or CoD. And while I don't want this to become another "CoD is crap" thread it is fair to say that Pokemon has been changing things up a lot between releases. Every other one is little more than a new setting but when they go from one generation to another you can tell a lot gets changed up. Look back at Pokemon Diamond/Pearl you'll see a largely sprite based game which had online for the first time which was a huge leap but it felt a bit clunky and isolated. Now with X/Y they have a fully 3D game that's always online and even when you're playing solo it feels like you're part of a global game. It'd be like if Mario went from Super Mario World to Super Mario Galaxy in less than ten years and people were saying "nah, they're just milking it".

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Dezzy

AlexSays wrote:

arojilla wrote:

I think the problem may be resources. Now that Nintendo is alone, without 3rd party support, whatever is spent on remakes is taken away from new titles, which the Wii U really needs.

Nailed it

Though people will come in here and claim remakes take no work whatsoever and banana pickers in southeast Japan can make the games without using any resources whatsoever

Some of them take almost no work. Look at the windwaker HD. They just wrote some new lighting shaders, redid a few textures and made a few gameplay tweaks. The world design, 3d modelling, dialog, storytelling and core gameplay code are all more or less identical (which are arguably the most time-consuming tasks).
Obviously a remaster like the Ocarina on 3DS was a significantly harder job given that they remade all of the assets from the ground up.
I'd be entirely in favour of them doing HD remasters of something like Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade Chronicles. Mario Galaxy especially could be done for incredibly small cost given that it was pretty much the best looking game on the Wii. They could leave all of the models and textures as they are, just add some new lighting effects and get it running in 1080p 60fps. A team of 5 people could do that in a couple of months and it'd almost definitely sell over a million copies.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

martinskrtel37

Nintendo do what they want - if they want to re-release Cube games with "Wii Play Controls", or remake a Zelda 10 years on for a new wave of kids, or remake some Pokemon games for the same new wave of kids.... they will do it. Obviousy they already have. Nintendo don't need to "jump in" with anyone, they have their own schedule, and they already remake games.

Nintendo don't release the same game on a rushed "next gen" system like the boring consoles did with GTA V. They don't need to stuff an "upgrade" down our throats because we are smarter than that.

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Dezzy

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Nintendo don't release the same game on a rushed "next gen" system like the boring consoles did with GTA V. They don't need to stuff an "upgrade" down our throats because we are smarter than that.

Lol, Nintendo fans are smarter than Playstation fans then?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

martinskrtel37

Dezzy wrote:

martinskrtel37 wrote:

Lol, Nintendo fans are smarter than Playstation fans then?

They sure know how to have more fun!

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Jacob717

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Dipper723 wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

No, they're an easy target, because their games are more iconic than most franchises. Also, Pokemon is Game Freak, not Nintendo.

Jacob717

DylanMcGrann

Dezzy wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

arojilla wrote:

I think the problem may be resources. Now that Nintendo is alone, without 3rd party support, whatever is spent on remakes is taken away from new titles, which the Wii U really needs.

Nailed it

Though people will come in here and claim remakes take no work whatsoever and banana pickers in southeast Japan can make the games without using any resources whatsoever

Some of them take almost no work. Look at the windwaker HD. They just wrote some new lighting shaders, redid a few textures and made a few gameplay tweaks. The world design, 3d modelling, dialog, storytelling and core gameplay code are all more or less identical (which are arguably the most time-consuming tasks).
Obviously a remaster like the Ocarina on 3DS was a significantly harder job given that they remade all of the assets from the ground up.
I'd be entirely in favour of them doing HD remasters of something like Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade Chronicles. Mario Galaxy especially could be done for incredibly small cost given that it was pretty much the best looking game on the Wii. They could leave all of the models and textures as they are, just add some new lighting effects and get it running in 1080p 60fps. A team of 5 people could do that in a couple of months and it'd almost definitely sell over a million copies.

The thing about the Wind Waker remake is Aonoma has said outright now that the main reason they ported the Wind Waker was so that the Zelda team could get familiar with the Wii U's hardware and test out some shaders all in preparation for development of the new Legend of Zelda game.

Nintendo probably doesn't want to upgrade too many of their older games because they would compete with their newer titles that are pretty similar. Virtual console is different. Those games are really old and look and play very differently from their newer games.

But if they were to remake Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario Galaxy (which I would really love), the Mario series aesthetic is actually similar enough game to game that Nintendo could actually use a lot of the Super Mario 3D World assets to save time on a title like that. They could do the same with Pikmin, though personally I would want some of the creatures to look more like they do in the original game than some of them do in Pikmin 3.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

SkywardLink98

Blast wrote:

The yearly Pokemon games are never garbage, at least. Lol

I never said they were garbage, but the closest to shaking things up since '98 was adding fairy type, and NSMB is pretty unimaginative.
@Dipper723 While true, Pokemon is considered a Nintendo franchise by anyone who doesn't know better, and contributes to giving Nintendo a bad image. It doesn't matter who actually develops it if everyone thinks it was someone else.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Bolt_Strike

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Blast wrote:

The yearly Pokemon games are never garbage, at least. Lol

I never said they were garbage, but the closest to shaking things up since '98 was adding fairy type, and NSMB is pretty unimaginative.

Abilities didn't? That was a huge gameplay addition.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Jdlok

Hello everyone, I am new here, but I am a long time Nintendo fan. Here are the two games I would like to see HD remasters of: Eternal Darkness and Super Mario Sunshine. Both highly deserving titles IMO.

Jdlok

kyuubikid213

Jdlok wrote:

Hello everyone, I am new here, but I am a long time Nintendo fan. Here are the two games I would like to see HD remasters of: Eternal Darkness and Super Mario Sunshine. Both highly deserving titles IMO.

Welcome to the family.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Jdlok

A little off topic, but does anyone here have any ideas/clues when the next Nintendo Direct will be. I looked back at the direct calender for the past three years, and there has been one every month for the past three years. So I am expecting one this month. Anyone have any ideas?

Jdlok

DefHalan

@Jdlok
I don't think there is going to be a Direct this month, they showed off a lot during that Award Show which I think is counting as this month's Direct. But they could surprise us.

About a Prime HD remake, I think if Nintendo is going to continue the Prime series then a remake would make sense. But I don't think they should continue the Prime series. It was great and I would love to see what more they can do with the series and not just rely on the same stuff over and over. I wouldn't mind a spiritual successor to Other M, just fix the story elements. The combat and gameplay was very fun in that game (still haven't beaten it) so lets get some more of that.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Jdlok

DefHalan wrote:

@Jdlok
I don't think there is going to be a Direct this month, they showed off a lot during that Award Show which I think is counting as this month's Direct. But they could surprise us.

About a Prime HD remake, I think if Nintendo is going to continue the Prime series then a remake would make sense. But I don't think they should continue the Prime series. It was great and I would love to see what more they can do with the series and not just rely on the same stuff over and over. I wouldn't mind a spiritual successor to Other M, just fix the story elements. The combat and gameplay was very fun in that game (still haven't beaten it) so lets get some more of that.

Ok, thanks for your response, that's kind of what I was feeling as well regarding the direct. As far as Metroid, I will honestly be happy with whatever they do, as long as they uphold their own promise that 2D and 3D Metroid will be taken care of (I have a soft spot for 2D Metroid, but who doesn't?). I personally think there are Metroid games in development as we speak, and I cannot wait.

Jdlok

skywake

SkywardLink98 wrote:

New SMB isn't a shining light but it's not exactly bad has only got one new game per console. There have been four of them in almost ten years and while they don't really push the boundaries every one has added something different. New SMB Wii had four players, New SMB 2 had coins, New SMB U had HD, Nabbit, Miiverse and Luigi. So it hardly deserves the level of whine it gets.

And Pokemon. No shakeup since '98? Really? Pretty much every generation has had something significant:
Gen 2: Breeding, items, shiny Pokemon, steel/dark, day/night cycle
Gen 3: Abilities, natures, double battles, overworld weather
Gen 4: Online trade/battle, Physical/special split
Gen 5: The only massive improvement was in the story
Gen 6: Wonder Trade, Constantly online, Super Training, fully 3D, Mega Evolutions, Fairy Type

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.