Wii U Forum

Topic: Response from Nintendo suggests GC adapter works with Wii mode

Showing 41 to 60 of 68

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

41. Posted:

This is some great investigative work. Seems legit.

Regarding the "complexity", there's nothing complicated about which controllers work with what. Nintendo just gives you a lot of options, because of its extensive different ways of playing games. How about Move supported games? How about Vita controlling certain games and certain not? How about using the new features of the PS4 controller in old games? It's the same "mess", it's just that the range of games and their depth is much superior with Nintendo - you can play old games before PS even existed on classic controllers, you can play the motion games, you can play the GC games with that awesome GC controller with its unique buttons and analog triggers, etc. It's all different experiences. But for the common guy buying the console it couldn't be simpler - Game Pad, and before that - Wii Remote. It's all they needed.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gage_wolf

42. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

But for the common guy buying the console it couldn't be simpler - Game Pad, and before that - Wii Remote. It's all they needed.

Uhh nope? How does one play Star Fox 64 on the Wii or Wii U with either of those controllers?

You can't. You have to buy a Wii Classic Pro, which runs about $50 dollars and isn't compatible with any Wii U games, or you have to find a Wii Classic controller, which is now discontinued and runs for about $30-40, and also isn't compatible with Wii U titles. It most definitely could be simpler.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

43. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

But for the common guy buying the console it couldn't be simpler - Game Pad, and before that - Wii Remote. It's all they needed.

Uhh nope? How does one play Star Fox 64 on the Wii or Wii U with either of those controllers?

You can't. You have to buy a Wii Classic Pro, which runs about $50 dollars and isn't compatible with any Wii U games, or you have to find a Wii Classic controller, which is now discontinued and runs for about $30-40, and also isn't compatible with Wii U titles. It most definitely could be simpler.

Sounds like a good time to bring back GC controller compatibility.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eviLaTtenDant

44. Posted:

Well, if the adapter makes my old GC controller work with GC games in Wii mode i might take the plunge and see if i can unplug my Wii I haven't done the system transfer yet so i don't know if every one of my games can be brought over.

Edited on by eviLaTtenDant

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Grumblevolcano

45. Posted:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Well, if the adapter makes my old GC controller work with GC games in Wii mode i might take the plunge and see if i can unplug my Wii I haven't done the system transfer yet so i don't know if every one of my games can be brought over.

All games downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel and save data for all Wii games get transferred over, so yes the only reasons to have the Wii alongside the Wii U is to play Wii games with the GC controller and to play GC games.

Grumblevolcano

3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

AuthorMessage
Avatar

eviLaTtenDant

46. Posted:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Well, if the adapter makes my old GC controller work with GC games in Wii mode i might take the plunge and see if i can unplug my Wii I haven't done the system transfer yet so i don't know if every one of my games can be brought over.

All games downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel and save data for all Wii games get transferred over, so yes the only reasons to have the Wii alongside the Wii U is to play Wii games with the GC controller and to play GC games.

Well, i've read that there were some games and maybe some save data that can't be brought over. I never really bothered about the details though since i want to have some more time to do the transfer and by the time i'll actually do it these nuisances might not exist anymore. :)

Edited on by eviLaTtenDant

Number 2? Says who? >=o]

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Grumblevolcano

47. Posted:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Well, if the adapter makes my old GC controller work with GC games in Wii mode i might take the plunge and see if i can unplug my Wii I haven't done the system transfer yet so i don't know if every one of my games can be brought over.

All games downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel and save data for all Wii games get transferred over, so yes the only reasons to have the Wii alongside the Wii U is to play Wii games with the GC controller and to play GC games.

Well, i've read that there were some games and maybe some save data that can't be brought over. I never really bothered about the details though since i want to have some more time to do the transfer and by the time i'll actually do it these nuisances might not exist anymore. :)

The only problem was the Wiiware game LostWinds but that was fixed 4 months ago.

Grumblevolcano

3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

48. Posted:

I don't have any GameCube controllers, but I do have adapters so I can use my CCPRO with GameCube games on my Japanese Wii. The only Wii game that would be applicable would be Metal Slug Anthology, but I dumped that once the entries I cared about started appearing in the Virtual Console and offered native CCPRO support and button remapping.

Just another correction, the Classic Controller is supported by at least one Wii U game: Warriors Orochi 3 uses it for the second player (I don't know if the new Pro Controller is supported or not). And if you want to play any SNES games in the Wii U Virtual Console they are also very handy (again, I'm not sure if the Pro Controller is supported or not)

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SKTTR

49. Posted:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

eviLaTtenDant wrote:

Well, if the adapter makes my old GC controller work with GC games in Wii mode i might take the plunge and see if i can unplug my Wii I haven't done the system transfer yet so i don't know if every one of my games can be brought over.

All games downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel and save data for all Wii games get transferred over, so yes the only reasons to have the Wii alongside the Wii U is to play Wii games with the GC controller and to play GC games.

Well, i've read that there were some games and maybe some save data that can't be brought over. I never really bothered about the details though since i want to have some more time to do the transfer and by the time i'll actually do it these nuisances might not exist anymore. :)

The only problem was the Wiiware game LostWinds but that was fixed 4 months ago.

It's not only LostWinds.
There's a chance you lose Yoshi's Cookie (NES) altogether, like what happened to me.
Also the oldest WiiWare demos (World of Goo, FFCC Darklord, PKMN Rumble) don't transfer like the rest of the demos.
Games from a different countries' Wii Shop need a NNID from the same region to be transfered.

And then there's about 90% Wii apps/channels that all got dropped and don't transfer. It's very odd that new Wii apps like WATCHEVER aren't available on Wii U's Wii mode and don't transfer either.

scatterkid.weebly.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

50. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

But for the common guy buying the console it couldn't be simpler - Game Pad, and before that - Wii Remote. It's all they needed.

Uhh nope? How does one play Star Fox 64 on the Wii or Wii U with either of those controllers?

Well you don't. VC's are for gamers who can easily deduce this kind of stuff exploring Nintendo's rich history, not for casual people. To be honest, I haven't gamed for more than 10 years before the Wii and I figured it all out in 5 minutes. It's not complicated.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

51. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Just another correction, the Classic Controller is supported by at least one Wii U game:

The classic controler is supported by tons of Wii U games if not practically all of them that make sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_that_use_the_Class...

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GoneFishin

52. Posted:

Many Wii U games support the Pro Controller but not the Classic Controller. That list you posted doesn't show any games that don't support the Classic Controller, just those that do.

This is what you should've posted. The list of Pro Controller enabled releases which includes notes on rather or not they also supported the Classic Controller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games_that_use_the...

And the Virtual Console is definitely just as much for the casuals as for the long-time Nintendo fan, if not more so.

Edited on by GoneFishin

GoneFishin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gage_wolf

53. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

VC's are for gamers who can easily deduce this kind of stuff exploring Nintendo's rich history, not for casual people.

Somebody needs to tell Nintendo that then, because I'm fairly sure their target market for the past decade has largely been casual players. Instead of continuing to clarify your statements such as: "It couldn't be simpler!" to "It's not for casual people." Why not just admit it's a mess and we can both move on.

Untitled
For hardcore Nintendo fans only!!!

Here's how simple it could be: All games that require the Classic, Pro Classic are mapped to the Gamepad (with remapping features like they already have.) The motion control games stay the same. Then your first statement would actually be true - all you need is the Gamepad and a Wii Remote.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

54. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

VC's are for gamers who can easily deduce this kind of stuff exploring Nintendo's rich history, not for casual people.

Somebody needs to tell Nintendo that then, because I'm fairly sure their target market for the past decade has largely been casual players. Instead of continuing to clarify your statements such as: "It couldn't be simpler!" to "It's not for casual people." Why not just admit it's a mess and we can both move on.

Here's how simple it could be: All games that require the Classic, Pro Classic are mapped to the Gamepad (with remapping features like they already have.) The motion control games stay the same. Then your first statement would actually be true - all you need is the Gamepad and a Wii Remote.

Because it's not a mess. If you're talking about mapping classic controller to the Game Pad, well of course that could be done, and it already is. All Wii U VC games work on the game pad after all. It's just that the Wii VC is a separate beast even when accessed via the Wii U. So yeah they already did what you suggested. You are just confusing options, and availability, with what you and only you perceive to be a mess. If they just didn't allow Wii access from the Wii U, then it will already have been just the way you wanted it. But they give options instead of restricting them.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

55. Posted:

Gotta agree with @gage_wolf on this one, the controller situation for the Wii U is a mess. We witness first hand new Wii U owners pop up around here asking if X controller can play Y games, etc.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gage_wolf

56. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

VC's are for gamers who can easily deduce this kind of stuff exploring Nintendo's rich history, not for casual people.

Somebody needs to tell Nintendo that then, because I'm fairly sure their target market for the past decade has largely been casual players. Instead of continuing to clarify your statements such as: "It couldn't be simpler!" to "It's not for casual people." Why not just admit it's a mess and we can both move on.

Here's how simple it could be: All games that require the Classic, Pro Classic are mapped to the Gamepad (with remapping features like they already have.) The motion control games stay the same. Then your first statement would actually be true - all you need is the Gamepad and a Wii Remote.

Because it's not a mess. If you're talking about mapping classic controller to the Game Pad, well of course that could be done, and it already is. All Wii U VC games work on the game pad after all. It's just that the Wii VC is a separate beast even when accessed via the Wii U. So yeah they already did what you suggested. You are just confusing options, and availability, with what you and only you perceive to be a mess. If they just didn't allow Wii access from the Wii U, then it will already have been just the way you wanted it. But they give options instead of restricting them.

Well I think we're starting to breach into a larger conversation - the Wii to Wii U VC transfer dilemna is a whole other discussion. I'll end my side of the debate with this - Nintendo is the one gaming company that is committed to making fun games for everyone. They do their best to be as inclusive as possible - play games with your buddies, play games with your uncle, play games with a toddler! And that is awesome. The problem is they confused themselves and the public with making the Wii U this kind of catch all for everything they've previously done along with new features: It's hardcore, it's casual, it's still a Wii, it's a tablet, it comes with a traditional controller style, it's portable-ish... They have lost contact with simplicity. Why are smartphones and tablets so popular? Because they are very simple to understand and use. That's not a bash against them, that's just smart design. One object where you can buy, play games and apps, and you don't need any extra peripherals. If Nintendo wanted it to compete with the Wii U in the way they originally intended, they should have at least tried to aim somewhere near there. Instead they essentially duct taped a Wii to an entirely different system, said "Oh yeah, good luck with the controllers," and called it a day.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blaisedinsd

57. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

SockoMario wrote:

Seriously, why are people against having options? And don't say because "there's too many" and it's a "bad" thing, because it's not. Yes, having a little too much options can be bad at times, but having a lot of controller options is a GOOD thing.

Options are good when they are easily identifiable, well planned, and add to the experience. Having a butt load of controllers that all have to have some sort of caviat because they don't work for this or that are not the kind of options that are appealing to me. I play console games because I want the convenience of not having to go through hoops to play games. I can't imagine being a kid and having to try sort this crap out. "I want a Wii U Pro Controller so I can play my Wii U games." Opens christmas present - "oh you got me a Wii Classic Pro Controller, and I can't play any Wii U games with this... thanks Mom and Dad."

All this stuff is just laziness and short-sightedness on Nintendo's part. The fact that I have to hook up an adapter that allows me to plug in a 10 year old controller or buy a controller that is discontinued in order to play certain games on my next gen console is pretty silly. This would not fly on any other system.

This is part of the reason people have the perception that Nintendo is behind the times and out of touch. Everyone else is streamlining things, and they are still churning out new hunks of plastic to fill up your drawers.

PS4 works with dual shock 3?

That's news to me. Even though its 90% similar and connects through bluetooth I thought you were forced to use Dual Shock 4 with PS4.

It is actually a good value that Nintendo contiues to support legacy controllers.

blaisedinsd

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Prof_Clayton

58. Posted:

This is how I see it:
Wiimote for Wii games.
Gamepad for Wii U games.
Classic Controller for Wii VC.
Pro Controller for Wii U VC.

If you have anymore confusion after this, you're overthinking it. Because 90% of people really don't care what controller they use, and if they are confused they google it which answers their questions in 5 minutes (or they make a thread or something for it if its obscure-ish). 9% will buy the Gamecube controller for Smash. 1% argue about every little thing that makes them use their brains when its honestly not bad. :)

Welcome to my signature.
8 Bit Forward Come check out our Forums, Game Challenge League, Reviews, Interviews and more! http://8bitforward.forumotion.com
The Great Wall of Backlog
Videogame Chatroom
Kid Icarus: Uprising Spotpass Weapon Thread
Thank you for visiting; I hope you enjoyed yourself.

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9581-0860 | Nintendo Network ID: Clayton17 | Twitter: 8BitForward

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gage_wolf

59. Posted:

Prof_Clayton wrote:

This is how I see it:
Wiimote for Wii games.
Gamepad for Wii U games.
Classic Controller for Wii VC.
Pro Controller for Wii U VC.

If you have anymore confusion after this, you're overthinking it. Because 90% of people really don't care what controller they use, and if they are confused they google it which answers their questions in 5 minutes (or they make a thread or something for it if its obscure-ish). 9% will buy the Gamecube controller for Smash. 1% argue about every little thing that makes them use their brains when its honestly not bad. :)

Classic Controller is discontinued, brah.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Akazury

60. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

Prof_Clayton wrote:

This is how I see it:
Wiimote for Wii games.
Gamepad for Wii U games.
Classic Controller for Wii VC.
Pro Controller for Wii U VC.

If you have anymore confusion after this, you're overthinking it. Because 90% of people really don't care what controller they use, and if they are confused they google it which answers their questions in 5 minutes (or they make a thread or something for it if its obscure-ish). 9% will buy the Gamecube controller for Smash. 1% argue about every little thing that makes them use their brains when its honestly not bad. :)

Classic Controller is discontinued, brah.

It is still being sold in my local Game Store tough

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am
Check out my YT channel: ThatGamerSpecific

Nintendo Network ID: Akazury | Twitter: GamerSpecific