Forums

Topic: Project Sora, Namco Bandai developing next Smash Bros

Posts 101 to 120 of 166

PoorVGameNerd

@K964

Which Mario stage and why? Just curious. I'm assuming it's one of the levels modeled after Super Mario Bros. 1 because people don't seem to pick them very often.

www.poorvideogamenerd.com
Retro Nintendo Game Reviews

komicturtle

He's talking about the stage called "Mario Bros."

Untitled

I personally like it. It's fun playing on that stage. One time, Shellcreepers were on both sides and my Charizard got pingponged back and forth like 6 times x_x;

Had me laughing my *** off.

komicturtle

Mieu-Fire

i want it to play like smash bros please dont make it like tekken or soulcalibur namco bandai

MANGO

EvilRegal

I'll be honest, I'm not too excited about this. Anytime a series I like is put in the hands of new developers, it worries me. Sometimes that concern is justified, sometimes not. But, I don't want Namco-Bandai making fundamental changes to the Super Smash Bros. I know and love. If I find that they have, like Mercury Steam did with Castlevania, getting the Wii U & 3DS Super Smash Bros. will actually be put into question for me. It was a sure buy before. Don't know what would've been wrong with having Hal help out.

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

KingMike

Emaan wrote:

@WaveBoy, aren't Little Mac and Starfy Nintendo characters?

Or was that not the point you were making :b

Probably wasn't, but I heard the Starfy copyright is shared between Nintendo and TOSE. Pretty sure Little Mac is all Nintendo, though.

KingMike

e-love

Like @FluttershyGuy had said, I still don't see why HAL isn't working on this.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

Snagrio

In terms of 3rd party, I'd be happy with Pacman and maybe Lloyd. But that's all I'd prefer for non Nintendo characters. And overall, I'm excited about Namco helping with working on this game, for it means we won't have to wait 3-4 years for it to come out. (Hopefully anyway).

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

DudeSean

IAmNotWill wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Just to clarify, I don't hate Brawl. It is a fun game. I just feel like the original and Melee were better suited to core gamers.

Explain.

Brawl seems like it was made with casual gamers in mind, just like many of Nintendo's games on the Wii. Smash Bros. doesn't need that. Making the game all floaty and slowing the characters down. It slowed down the whole game. I don't mind the overpowered items and such, but I hate when luck means more than skill. This is an issue I have with Mario Kart games, too. There's always that balance between skill and luck. Brawl is one of the games where luck is a bigger factor.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Drawdler

Just hope they don't cram it with third-party characters. I'm not much of a Smash Bros player but any more than 3 and maybe the somewhat inevitable Sonic again would ruin it.

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

e-love

@DudeSean, I'm seriously wondering how many "casual" players you think bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

DudeSean

Emaan wrote:

@DudeSean, I'm seriously wondering how many "casual" players you think bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I never said anything about casual players actually buying the game. Just that the game was built around the idea of being accessible to casual players.

DudeSean

IAmNotWill

FluttershyGuy wrote:

I'll be honest, I'm not too excited about this. Anytime a series I like is put in the hands of new developers, it worries me. Sometimes that concern is justified, sometimes not. But, I don't want Namco-Bandai making fundamental changes to the Super Smash Bros. I know and love. If I find that they have, like Mercury Steam did with Castlevania, getting the Wii U & 3DS Super Smash Bros. will actually be put into question for me. It was a sure buy before. Don't know what would've been wrong with having Hal help out.

Namco is not going to do anything to the series. They are simply helping out. Sakurai and Nintendo will still lead the project. When you have games as massive as the Smash Bros. games, and you need to make 2 seperate versions at the same time, you are going to need help from a studio as massive as Namco otherwise it will take a long time.

DudeSean wrote:

IAmNotWill wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Just to clarify, I don't hate Brawl. It is a fun game. I just feel like the original and Melee were better suited to core gamers.

Explain.

Brawl seems like it was made with casual gamers in mind, just like many of Nintendo's games on the Wii. Smash Bros. doesn't need that. Making the game all floaty and slowing the characters down. It slowed down the whole game. I don't mind the overpowered items and such, but I hate when luck means more than skill. This is an issue I have with Mario Kart games, too. There's always that balance between skill and luck. Brawl is one of the games where luck is a bigger factor.

Have you played Melee lately? That game can become a button master simply because the gameplay is too fast. As great as the game was, it was broken. And only noobs use items. No one who plays competitively uses items. Thats not a good excuse.

WaveBoy wrote:

As for Brawl being better than Melee...Well, i still feel that Melee's core gameplay has the slight upper hand in a couple departments mainly because of the multidirectional air dodging 'and' because you can stay up in the air a lot longer than sinking to the ground. Plus, Melee just feels a bit quicker where as Brawl is a little more floatier. I know that wave dashing has been abused but if they can somehow work around this and deliver the same air dodging that was seen in Melee I'd be in heaven.I still remember the day when i got brawl....And discovered that my precious air dodging was basically gimped & destroyed! You sink to the ground like a tank after performing it....And you can't air dodge/hover over peoples heads while on the ground like a ninja, nor can you control it in the air. I was so pee'd off that i didn't even wan't to play it. My friends didn't seem to care, but i had the grumpiest look on my face the entire time haha....

Seriously? You're like the only person I've seen that likes the air-dodging in Melee. The directional aspect of it was cool, but you could only perform it once and after that you would sink and couldn't do anything at all except float left-to-right as you fell until you hit the ground. In Brawl, you could dodge multiple times, and still use attacks in the air so you wouldn't be vulnerable as you fell.

Edited on by IAmNotWill

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

Snagrio

I barely remember playing Melee (I've only played it a few times at a cousin's house), but I think that Brawl was an improvement from it overall. More characters, crazy stages, an awesome soundtrack, (though Melee from what I do remember wasn't too shabby in that department), and an amazing story mode with actual cutscenes. As for items, I love to use them, they add an extra level of craziness, but I do agree that they should not be used in real competitive play. But I will say that Melee has something that Brawl doesn't, Roy...

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

DudeSean

IAmNotWill wrote:

Have you played Melee lately? That game can become a button master simply because the gameplay is too fast. As great as the game was, it was broken. And only noobs use items. No one who plays competitively uses items. Thats not a good excuse.

Yes, I've played Melee lately. It's a great game. I'm aware that it can become a button masher, but the same is true for most fighting games. But the person who actually knows what they're doing and has the skill can easily overcome a button masher. Thus creating balance between the casual and core players. Brawl is balanced more towards the casual.
lol. "noobs"? You realize that's just a word that nerds made up for people who play a way that they don't like, right? I don't play "competitively." I play for fun. The same reason I play any game. The items make the game more fun because of all the crazy stuff that happens. The matches seem so much more boring without the items, and in Brawl there's actually still a lot of chance without the items, between tripping and stage hazards. If there's an option to turn items off, there should be an option to turn stage hazards off, too. Or even different levels of intensity, depending on how chaotic the players want the match to be.

IAmNotWill wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

As for Brawl being better than Melee...Well, i still feel that Melee's core gameplay has the slight upper hand in a couple departments mainly because of the multidirectional air dodging 'and' because you can stay up in the air a lot longer than sinking to the ground. Plus, Melee just feels a bit quicker where as Brawl is a little more floatier. I know that wave dashing has been abused but if they can somehow work around this and deliver the same air dodging that was seen in Melee I'd be in heaven.I still remember the day when i got brawl....And discovered that my precious air dodging was basically gimped & destroyed! You sink to the ground like a tank after performing it....And you can't air dodge/hover over peoples heads while on the ground like a ninja, nor can you control it in the air. I was so pee'd off that i didn't even wan't to play it. My friends didn't seem to care, but i had the grumpiest look on my face the entire time haha....

Seriously? You're like the only person I've seen that likes the air-dodging in Melee. The directional aspect of it was cool, but you could only perform it once and after that you would sink and couldn't do anything at all except float left-to-right as you fell until you hit the ground. In Brawl, you could dodge multiple times, and still use attacks in the air so you wouldn't be vulnerable as you fell.

I love air-dodging in Melee. You should hear the things my friends say when they see me do it. The falling afterwards balanced out the fact that you could just become invincible to anything for a short period of time.

Mickeymac wrote:

Melee has way better physics and mechanics, which is all it needs to make Brawl look like crap in comparison.

That's all I needed to say.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

IAmNotWill

DudeSean wrote:

IAmNotWill wrote:

Yes, I've played Melee lately. It's a great game. I'm aware that it can become a button masher, but the same is true for most fighting games. But the person who actually knows what they're doing and has the skill can easily overcome a button masher. Thus creating balance between the casual and core players. Brawl is balanced more towards the casual.

Because the gameplay is slowed down doesn't make the game "balanced more towards the casual" (that doesn't even make any sense. If it's "balanced" how does it go towards the casual? lol) And this doesn't explain anything on why Melee is a better core experience. What you just said applies to both games.

lol. "noobs"? You realize that's just a word that nerds made up for people who play a way that they don't like, right?

Lol we're all nerds here, dude. Welcome to the internet.

I don't play "competitively." I play for fun. The same reason I play any game. The items make the game more fun because of all the crazy stuff that happens. The matches seem so much more boring without the items, and in Brawl there's actually still a lot of chance without the items, between tripping and stage hazards. If there's an option to turn items off, there should be an option to turn stage hazards off, too. Or even different levels of intensity, depending on how chaotic the players want the match to be.

Wait what? You complain about luck and yet you like playing with items? Items are the only "casual" aspect of Brawl. Only with items on does the game become a casual luck-fest (Melee is the same way). If you don't like luck in your Smash games, turn the items off. And you playing for fun has nothing to do with why Melee is better suited to core gamers.

As for stage hazards, they are apart of every Smash Bros. game. You play the game long enough and you'll eventually learn how to avoid them in each stage. And tripping is an exaggerated issue in Brawl. Yeah its annoying, but when does it cause you to lose?

IAmNotWill wrote:

WaveBoy wrote:

I love air-dodging in Melee. You should hear the things my friends say when they see me do it. The falling afterwards balanced out the fact that you could just become invincible to anything for a short period of time.

You don't become invincible after you air dodge in Melee, or in any Smash Bros. game.

Mickeymac wrote:

Melee has way better physics and mechanics, which is all it needs to make Brawl look like crap in comparison.

That's all I needed to say.

The mechanics are the same in every Smash Bros. game....

If think Melee is a better game thats fine. But you have to give legitimite reasons on why you think its a better core experience.

Edited on by IAmNotWill

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

DudeSean

Don't worry about it, man. Agree to disagree. And yes, I know we're all nerds here.

DudeSean

DudeSean

The speed, the physics (e.g. gravity) and the hidden techniques.
Tripping wasn't extremely annoying or anything, but it just goes to show how it helps to level the playing field between casuals and core. The casual gamer will often do something like push a button not knowing what it does and stuck doing that making the player vulnerable for a short period of time (e.g. Jigglypuff's sleep, Snake's nikita, etc.). This way, even a skilled player will "slip up," even if for no fault of his own. Melee had no such thing as auto slip ups.
It's all the little things added up. Not any one big thing.

DudeSean

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.