Forums

Topic: Nintendo trying to acquire Rare

Posts 121 to 140 of 159

carnage2211

Damn.... microsoft... anyway..

Rare wanted to make a killer instinct 3 but microsoft said "MORE KID FRIENDLY GAMES!!!!111 DFSFGSF" so rare scrapped it.... im mad..... because if they are not allowed to make rated M games I will never get a true Conker sequel...

also yes i brought this thread back from the dead lol

Edited on by carnage2211

Poop

OptometristLime

Electricmastro- to me those tunes are pretty dull.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

RedDevilAde

Would really love to see Nintendo at least acquire Rare's IP (or the company) solely for Banjo Kazooie. After the SNES I got lured to the Sega Saturn (which was an awesome system despite it's commercial failure) and it was seeing Banjo Kazooie in a display unit at GAME. I was so blown away by it that it made me decide to get an N64. I was not disappointed and I realized soon after that amazing game that I'd missed out on Mario 64 and Goldeneye too (many hours of fun at Uni with the system and the Saturn). Ah youth... Have to get my BK fix on the xbox now, it's not the same

Edited on by RedDevilAde

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

RetroGBHippie92

I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned or realised this, but most of the original team behind the Rare you used to know and love, have left Rare a long time ago. I read about this ages ago and it's not like this subject hasn't come up before. The chance of getting a new Conker, Banjo or Killer Instinct game is pretty unlikely as Rare seems to only making Kinect games for the 360 and the last non kniect game they made, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, wasn't a critical success like the other Banjo games.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at [email protected]...

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

DudeSean

@RetroGBHippie92

DudeSean wrote:

So... I've been checking out the staff for Rare throughout it's history, and so far I've found 25 people that are still working for Rare / Microsoft Game Studios that was working at Rare when they were with Nintendo (starting from the NES to the N64 days). This is also the majority of the people that have worked on each game during Nintendo's time with Rare. Based on my research, I'd estimate that out of all the people at Rare who worked on games back when they were with Nintendo 70% of them are still there, 20% left to work at other companies and 10% no longer work in the video game industry.

If anyone would like I can even list off the names of the 25 that I have found so far, as well as the year that they started working at Rare.David Wise (1989), Chris Sutherland (1994), Brendan Gunn (1994), Mark Betteridge (1989), Steve Mayles (1994), Mark Stevenson (1994), Chris Peil (1994), Robin Beanland (1994), Gregg Mayles (1990), Dean Smith (1995), Chris Tilston (1994), Pete Cox (1994), Ken Lobb (1994), Paul Machacek (1991), Simon Farmer (1990), Keri Gunn (1995), Trevor Attwood (1995), Steven Hurst (1995), Leigh Loveday (1995), Mark Edmonds (1997), Duncan Botwood (1997), Paul Mikell (1995), George Andreas (1996), Kieran Connell (1998) and Ed Bryan (1998).I could have kept going, but I'm getting tired and I think I can get my point across with these 25.

Martin Hollis left to form zoonami. It doesn't look like anyone else from Rare left with him.

Stephen Ellis, David Doak, Karl Hilton and Graeme Norgate left to form Free Radical. That's four people.

So, now, can we finally stop saying that "everybody's gone"?

My research was done by checking the credit listings on mobygames.com.Not all of these people are listed as working for Rare, but they have worked with Rare since the nes-n64 days and continue to work with Rare now.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

DudeSean

Please, share the results of your research.

Perhaps it is a poor estimate, but over half of the people are still there. 70% is over half. Not very many people have left. Not anywhere near the amount that most people like to claim. I think I found like 6 people that left to join other companies. I'm not sure how many left that simply left the video game industry. The head staff of the Goldeneye / Perfect Dark team left, but they also just joined Rare shortly before the development of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and they left during production of Perfect Dark to form Free Radical.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

kkslider5552000

Wait...ok now I feel dumb.

I forgot the obvious point that despite not having as many employees as before that 100 would likely still be pretty impressive for late 90s standards. That doesn't necessarily contradict your point. If anything it seems likely that the new employees aren't exactly the best at their job. Or maybe Microsoft ruined it. Gotta be honest, while I'm kinda interested in why this happened, I'm more interested in someone putting Rare out of its misery so that we can talk about what an amazing company Rare was. It doesn't really matter why anymore, just make it stop already. Someone. Anyone

Now about that source...er...
http://www.therwp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=923103&postco...
Now almost never would I use something like this as a source but everything else I've read from the guy (granted, until researching this literally yesterday, I hadn't been around this fanbase at all in years) makes it obvious he knows what he's talking about.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DudeSean

I believe that microsoft ruined it. Which is why I want Rare to be back with Nintendo. Nintendo would get Rare's IPs back, and Rare would be able to make their own games again, instead of making Wii Sports rip-offs, Mii rip-offs, etc.

DudeSean

Reala

Whether new rare worked on old IPs or not they'd still be new rare not old rare just a pale imitation of its former glory; whether they are released on xbox or nintendo would make little to no difference.

Reala

DudeSean

Sigh... there's no getting through to people.

DudeSean

Reala

DudeSean wrote:

Sigh... there's no getting through to people.

My thoughts exactly.

Reala

DudeSean

Do you honestly not understand that many of the people that worked on Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie (n64), etc. are STILL THERE?

DudeSean

CanisWolfred

DudeSean wrote:

Do you honestly not understand that many of the people that worked on Donkey Kong Country, Banjo-Kazooie (n64), etc. are STILL THERE?

Actually, the company experienced a braindrain even before they got bought out by Microsoft, and the company has been restructured since.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Firejonie

Microsoft has just been sitting on Rare. No new Conker, Killer Instinct or a ( platformer) Banjo Kazooie game. They haven't really made any bad games since being purchased by Microsoft, just some mediocre ones like the Conker remake, Grabbed By The Ghoulies and Kinect Sports. While they don't have the original classic 90's team. They're still capable of making good games ( Nut's & Bolts, Viva Pinata and Banjo Pilot for example) and want to make them. But Microsoft turns down all the good stuff like Savannah ( realistic lion raising nature game, sounded interesting but never got the green light. Look it up sometime.) and KI 3, forcing Rare to churn out Kinect Sports instead.

Edited on by Firejonie

Firejonie

shingi_70

To be fair none of those other games would have sold like kinect sports does.

And if linect sports is somehow a bad game than wii sports is as well.

And hey have had a pretty good output this gen.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

TheDreamingHawk

I could care less for Rare as I personally only like the GBA ports of DKC, Conker Pocket Tales and the Starfox game, but seriously, Microsoft wouldn't let them make a KI3 because they wanted the X360 to be aimed toward kids....

...Yet you have annoying children on voice chat on MW3 and those other games. And people thought Nintendo was bad?

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

DudeSean

Sony_70 wrote:

And if linect sports is somehow a bad game than wii sports is as well.

That is by no means necessarily true. I've not played kinect sports, but if originality counts for anything, then that alone would make Wii Sports better.

DudeSean

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.