Forums

Topic: Is Zelda's delay the writing on the wall for the Wii U?

Posts 121 to 140 of 254

CaviarMeths

TingLz wrote:

Okay then. Where are the facts supporting home consoles (by Nintendo)?

Kind of late to see this, but I responded to that earlier.

Nintendo makes >50% of its revenue in hardware. They also have the advantage of releasing games on their own platforms without licensing fees. On top of that, they collect licensing fees from 3rd parties (few as they are last couple of years). They would need to sell significantly more software to reach the same revenue, and there's no guarantee at all that they'll sell an extra 10 million copies of Mario Kart by releasing it on a different machine. It's just not reasonable to say that they would be better off dropping their console line.

Facts:

• Between sales and licensing, Nintendo makes most of their revenue on the hardware itself, not games.
  • Nintendo would need to pay license fees to release software on other hardware. Apple, for example, takes a flat 30 cents off of every dollar.
  • Nintendo would need to sell significantly more software to make up revenue lost in hardware sales and licensing. Talking several times more.
  • The Wii made so much money that its profits alone could leverage a decade's worth of Wii U 2013 level failures.

Possible, but unsubstantiated:

• Vast reserves of Nintendo fans exist on PS4 and XBO that would buy Nintendo games by the millions.
  • Nintendo is able to create the games they do specifically because they are the platform holder.
  • Series like Metroid, Pikmin, and Donkey Kong would not feasible on other platforms due to low sales and high licensing fees.

Non-facts:

• Nintendo is in as much trouble now as Sega was when it made the decision to drop hardware.
  • Going 3rd party improved Sega's software output.
  • And the biggest non-fact, Nintendo hasn't had a successful console since the SNES.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Grumblevolcano

@UGXwolf I agree that SEGA hasn't recovered from Sonic '06. SEGA should've really given Sonic a break after Generations in terms of new main series games (keeping Sonic Transformed). Adding DLC to Generations and Sonic Transformed the same way Nintendo is doing with Mario Kart 8 but slightly more frequent would've been perfect and reviving some of their non-Sonic franchises during Sonic's break could've had a very positive result (I'm thinking of franchises such as Jet Set Radio, Nights, Shenmue and Streets of Rage).

Arguably Nintendo could be in that exact position with Metroid, Other M is Metroid's equivalent to Sonic '06 and the break is probably to stop the franchise from being completely ruined.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

UGXwolf

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@UGXwolf I agree that SEGA hasn't recovered from Sonic '06. SEGA should've really given Sonic a break after Generations in terms of new main series games (keeping Sonic Transformed). Adding DLC to Generations and Sonic Transformed the same way Nintendo is doing with Mario Kart 8 but slightly more frequent would've been perfect and reviving some of their non-Sonic franchises during Sonic's break could've had a very positive result (I'm thinking of franchises such as Jet Set Radio, Nights, Shenmue and Streets of Rage).

Arguably Nintendo could be in that exact position with Metroid, Other M is Metroid's equivalent to Sonic '06 and the break is probably to stop the franchise from being completely ruined.

I'm sorry, I read all of that, but now all I can think of is a Wii U Jet Set Radio. Jet Set Radio Universe? Would kinda fit their running theme, I think. You could draw your own Grafitti tag. Or if you're not so artsy, maybe just pick a template and color it in. Obviously, you wouldn't do that DURING gameplay, as that'd get tedious fast, but doing it on a menu and then c+v'ing that design over the blank grafitti tag default would work out just fine. And as long as it's been since the last real release, they could make it massive. Maybe incorporate multiple cities. New York, Seattle, LA, Tokyo, Dubai, London, who knows? I want this, now. ;~; SEGA, stop sucking at your job so this can happen.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Endriu7777

I just hope they stay in the home console market for as long as possible. Bringing out a console that doesnt sell too well is bad (for nintendo), its also bad for the gamers (less third party games), but that doesnt mean they should drop out as tinglz suggested - they can still make up for it with some next gen hardware - besides they have the financial means to stay in the race much longer, so sega dreamcast comparison is not really fitting here. They just need to make better decisions when it comes to hardware and marketing in general - I think gaming trends will change in the future for nintendos benefit - I mean how long can people play a new reitereation of call of duty or assassins creed without getting bored? these people will get older and finally see through it and they they will long for something else like nintendo dropping out of the home console race would be like a betrayal to its fans - and besides nintendo has been in the market much longer than sony or ms - they owe it to themselves not to give in and continue - and like they said - they will try something new with the nx - they want to surprise us gamers. - At this point I just hope they will keep releasing games for the wii u for the next two years or so and make the new gen totally backwards compatible...

Endriu7777

TuVictus

Retro was given the choice between Metroid and tropical freeze last time they started work on a game. last year miyamoto confirmed that there would be a 2D and 3D fps Metroid at some point. So while the prime story is over, the gameplay is in no way gone. Plus, it'd be nice to find out what the secret ending in prime 3 meant.

TuVictus

LzWinky

CaviarMeths wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Okay then. Where are the facts supporting home consoles (by Nintendo)?

Kind of late to see this, but I responded to that earlier.

Nintendo makes >50% of its revenue in hardware. They also have the advantage of releasing games on their own platforms without licensing fees. On top of that, they collect licensing fees from 3rd parties (few as they are last couple of years). They would need to sell significantly more software to reach the same revenue, and there's no guarantee at all that they'll sell an extra 10 million copies of Mario Kart by releasing it on a different machine. It's just not reasonable to say that they would be better off dropping their console line.

Facts:

• Between sales and licensing, Nintendo makes most of their revenue on the hardware itself, not games.
  • Nintendo would need to pay license fees to release software on other hardware. Apple, for example, takes a flat 30 cents off of every dollar.
  • Nintendo would need to sell significantly more software to make up revenue lost in hardware sales and licensing. Talking several times more.
  • The Wii made so much money that its profits alone could leverage a decade's worth of Wii U 2013 level failures.

Possible, but unsubstantiated:

• Vast reserves of Nintendo fans exist on PS4 and XBO that would buy Nintendo games by the millions.
  • Nintendo is able to create the games they do specifically because they are the platform holder.
  • Series like Metroid, Pikmin, and Donkey Kong would not feasible on other platforms due to low sales and high licensing fees.

Non-facts:

• Nintendo is in as much trouble now as Sega was when it made the decision to drop hardware.
  • Going 3rd party improved Sega's software output.
  • And the biggest non-fact, Nintendo hasn't had a successful console since the SNES.

Untitled

Well I've been KOed by facts

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

erv

Let me get this straight: because nintendo now obviously probably isn't doomed maybe-perhaps-ifwe'relucky, we switch the rhetoric to wii U?

Doooomed! Wii U is doooomed!

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

LzWinky

Wii U's been doomed since Day 1...too bad the naysayers were mostly right

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

Operative wrote:

Retro was given the choice between Metroid and tropical freeze last time they started work on a game. last year miyamoto confirmed that there would be a 2D and 3D fps Metroid at some point. So while the prime story is over, the gameplay is in no way gone. Plus, it'd be nice to find out what the secret ending in prime 3 meant.

Source please? Because I can only remember that they were interested in both styles of gameplay. I don't recall any confirmation.

Octane

Nicolai

Personally, I only care about the Wii U's success to the point that it has a decent life-cycle, and Nintendo can justify supporting it all the way till then. If the Wii U lasts till Fall 2017, and we get currently unannounced great games until then, that is the only kind of success I care about. I guess it's true that I would have liked it if the console was more widespread and popular, so that more of my friends would have played the games (and I suppose it's nice to know that Nintendo is being properly rewarded for the great games they make). But I don't think I ever truly believed that would happen, given how a large % of the gaming community loathes non-traditional controls and gaming environments.

UGXwolf wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

They can't please everyone, but they could be doing a better job than this. Giving people sequels to existing games isn't hitting all of the major wants, they need some kind of new ideas mixed in.

I don't think you've played Super Mario 3D World.

I take that to mean that you guys didn't like 3D world that much? Suit yourself!

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

erv

TingLz wrote:

Wii U's been doomed since Day 1...too bad the naysayers were mostly right

To people in boring suits, perhaps. I love it

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

CaviarMeths

Nicolai wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

They can't please everyone, but they could be doing a better job than this. Giving people sequels to existing games isn't hitting all of the major wants, they need some kind of new ideas mixed in.

I take that to mean that you guys didn't like 3D world that much? Suit yourself!

It's fantastic. It's incredibly designed and one of the most inventive Mario games to date. The way Bolt_Strike talks about it though makes it quite clear that he has little to no actual experience with it.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

TuVictus

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

Source please? Because I can only remember that they were interested in both styles of gameplay. I don't recall any confirmation.

"We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them."

Of course, there's no saying when it'll happen, but it's pretty clear that they have plans to make both a 2D and 3D Metroid. It's just a matter of when.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/13/nintendo-say-they-are-pl...

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

UGXwolf

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

"We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them."

Of course, there's no saying when it'll happen, but it's pretty clear that they have plans to make both a 2D and 3D Metroid. It's just a matter of when.

All I got from that is "guys, we haven't forgotten Metroid. It'll come out eventually. Stop pestering us about it." There's not even anything in there that really makes me believe they're even working on it.

Also @Nicolai again basically what @CaviarMeths said. 3D World was fantastic. @Bolt_Strike makes it sound like they just copy-pasted NSMB and then expanded it into a third dimension.

TuVictus

UGXwolf wrote:

Operative wrote:

Octane wrote:

Operative wrote:

All I got from that is "guys, we haven't forgotten Metroid. It'll come out eventually. Stop pestering us about it." There's not even anything in there that really makes me believe they're even working on it.

Also @Nicolai again basically what @CaviarMeths said. 3D World was fantastic. @Bolt_Strike makes it sound like they just copy-pasted NSMB and then expanded it into a third dimension.

The whole point of that quote is to say there WILL be FPS and 2D metroids in the future. I'm not arguing about whether they're gonna be released soon.

TuVictus

UGXwolf

And I'm pretty sure I've agreed with that statement, thus far. Prime is done. I mever said Retro can't or won't work on a new Metroid, though I did say that last I've heard from them, it sounded like they were still interested in what they can do with DK. I believe I've also pointed out that it doesn't have to be Retro in order to be an FPS.

TuVictus

Well then I misunderstood and I apologize. When I read "Prime is done" I imagined you meant the FPS style of gameplay. Rather than just the story.

TuVictus

Nicolai

CaviarMeths wrote:

Nicolai wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's fantastic. It's incredibly designed and one of the most inventive Mario games to date. The way Bolt_Strike talks about it though makes it quite clear that he has little to no actual experience with it.

I... might have misread his statement then. My bad.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

unrandomsam

Dezzy wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Why does everyone assume this? Seriously, Retro isn't "that one company what does the Metroid games," that was kind of the point of ending Prime. They didn't want to be the Metroid guys, and from what it sounds like, Retro doesn't plan on doing more Metroid, just yet. After Tropical Freeze, it certainly sounded like they wanted to give Donkey Kong one more swing. Why not give the Metroid action to a new group. Or an old one. Just make sure it's one that will treat the IP with respect and show Samus the quality she deserves.

Maybe because a Metroid game is due and they're good at making them? We've had enough Donkey Kong for a few years!

They cannot make another one (Or they could but it would be like starting again). Pretty much all those people left and formed another studio.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Joeynator3000

I thought they just said they were taking a break from Metroid. >.>

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.