Forums

Topic: Is Zelda's delay the writing on the wall for the Wii U?

Posts 141 to 160 of 254

Bolt_Strike

@skywake First of all, let's stick to 8th gen, because that's where Nintendo's problems are. Now then, you can see, especially with their biggest IPs, a lack of game changing ideas. You mentioned how they brought back 2D Mario after 10 years with NSMB, but what happened after that? NSMB2 and NSMB Wii add nothing of value to the gameplay. The 3D series doesn't either, they just took the 2D formula and applied it to 3D, that's not creative and it makes the 3D series indistinguishable from NSMB. Tropical Freeze is the same way, there's nothing that really sets it apart from other DKC games, most of its gameplay changes from Returns amounts to adding gameplay mechanics from the Classics back in. Speaking of which, recycling older ideas isn't exactly creative. It was interesting to see them bring DKC back in the Wii era (although not as much for me because I had experienced the original trilogy through the GBA remakes), but as I got into the game I found that what they changed was basically all fluff and I got bored of the game very quickly. The fact that it took them until Splatoon, a new IP released halfway through the console's life (which even then, is loosely based on Sunshine), for Nintendo to come up with something that displays any semblance of creativity is indicative of how weak a gameplay direction they have for this gen.

@CaviarMeths Sorry, but level gimmicks are not new ideas. They do nothing to address the generic, stagnant gameplay style that they've been recycling in every NSMB and 3D series games, they're just cheap distractions.

UGXwolf wrote:

And thus my point was missed. I didn't say they should do another Donkey Kong. I said it sounded like they were still interested in that IP. I was pointing out that Retro isn't the only company that can do Metroid.

If another company can do as good a job as Retro, fine, whatever. But at this point, I don't think I trust any of Nintendo's other first or second parties to do it justice yet.

UGXwolf wrote:

In fact, from what I've been told, from a gameplay standpoint, even Other M is pretty great.

I've heard otherwise, that it was horribly linear (look at the maps, they're even more linear than Fusion: http://metroid.retropixel.net/games/metroidom/maps.php).

UGXwolf wrote:

I'm not saying any team could pick up Metroid, but Retro isn't the only team capable of it, and a quick reiteration, in case @Bolt_Strike didn't catch it when Retro said it or any of the ten to twenty times I've reminded people of this fact (including once or twice in this thread, if memory serves). PRIME ISN'T COMING BACK! Retro ended the series with 3 and have openly stated they have no plans to make a 4. Now the gameplay style may very well come back, but FPS mechanics aren't that hard to work out. Retro's not the only team that can make a 3D Metroid, and it doesn't appear that Retro is going back to Metroid just yet.

I did a quick Google search on that and I couldn't find anything stating that they don't want to make a new Prime game. In fact, I found one interview that indicates otherwise: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34641/retro-studios-m...

UGXwolf wrote:

Also, back to @Bolt_Strike here for a second, Making a second DK game doesn't make them "the DK guys" any more than making a third Prime made them "the Metroid guys."

If they're complaining about being the Prime guys even after taking a break with DKCR, then by that logic making 2 1/2 DK games in a row is no better.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LzWinky

I think it's ironic how some complain about "too much Donkey Kong" when Retro made more Metroid games than Donkey Kong games

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

TingLz wrote:

I think it's ironic how some complain about "too much Donkey Kong" when Retro made more Metroid games than Donkey Kong games

I don't deny that there's more Metroid games. The problem is that DK is all they've been making in the last 5 years. And regardless of which game had how many releases, Prime has more potential for new gameplay than what they did with Tropical Freeze, which is what makes the decision to make Tropical Freeze especially disappointing.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Octane

Bolt_Strike wrote:

The fact that it took them until Splatoon, a new IP released halfway through the console's life (which even then, is loosely based on Sunshine)

I stopped reading here, because now you're really grasping at straws.

Octane

LzWinky

Bolt_Strike wrote:

TingLz wrote:

I don't deny that there's more Metroid games. The problem is that DK is all they've been making in the last 5 years. And regardless of which game had how many releases, Prime has more potential for new gameplay than what they did with Tropical Freeze, which is what makes the decision to make Tropical Freeze especially disappointing.

I suppose I shouldn't bother since you favor Metroid here

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

Several things explain this;
-Metroid has been dead for 5 years, 8 if you don't count sexist games (Even longer than that for the 2D games).
-Donkey Kong has had 3 games in the last 5 years, the third being DKR 3D.
-People want more Metroid, not another 2D platformer for Wii U.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

LzWinky

What about a 3D Donkey Kong game with space and guns?

Edited on by LzWinky

Nicolai

And I fail to see how anything having to do with shooting liquid on surfaces is automatically "loosely based" on Super Mario Sunshine, even if it is different in just about every other way.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

And I fail to see how anything having to do with shooting liquid on surfaces is automatically too similar to Super Mario Sunshine, even if it is different in just about every other way.

Well, for one, one of the Sunshine designers is co-heading the Splatoon development sooo... That's how.

TingLz wrote:

This is why people want Metroid more; i'd rather play as Samus Aran: Space Badass, D.F.A. than Donkey Kong: Gorilla with a tie, O.O.K.

Metroid at least takes itself seriously and not enough Nintendo games do that for how much better their serious games are than other serious games in the space.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

IronMan28

I love "speculative" posts like this where the person who asked the question has already made their mind up. The mental gymnastics you'll do to tell yourself it IS the writing on the wall for Wii U is astounding. Do yourself a favor, stop asking questions you've already made up your mind about.

IronMan28

Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

TingLz wrote:

Wouldn't be the same.

I do think there's more they could do with DK, but seeing as we've gotten too many games in a short period of time that have done too little to further the series (can we please get a DK game that isn't just playing catch up with the classic trilogy?), I think the series could use a break until next gen.

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf

And now I'm fairly certain you haven't played Tropical Freeze, either. What classic mechanics were brought back in TF? Because I've played and beaten every console DK, and Tropical Freeze only plays like classic DK in the same way that Super Mario World plays like Yoshi's Island.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Dezzy

TingLz wrote:

I meant recently Mr Tingle! We've had 2 in the last 2 years and they were both very similar. Whereas we havent had a 2D Metroid for 10 years.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

UGXwolf

Dezzy wrote:

TingLz wrote:

I meant recently Mr Tingle! We've had 2 in the last 2 years and they were both very similar. Whereas we havent had a 2D Metroid for 10 years.

I'd even argue TF wasn't all that much like Returns, though in this case, it's more of a "vastly improved" sort of thing. They took what Returns did well and did it even better.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Cheesehead302

Now, not saying I don't want a new Metroid game, Tropical Freeze is incredible, it's one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played and that ain't no lie. Retro evened it off, time period of Metroid, time period of DK. I just don't understand people who say Tropical Freeze was disappointing because it wasn't Metroid, they've both had their times to shine. Heck, Metroid actually got more main series games than DK, if you count Other M. And then when you consider the fact that one of the 3 DK games that have released was a remake, that's only 2 games.

Edited on by Cheesehead302

Cheesehead302

bluemage1989

With everyone saying to much/not enough Metroid/DK maybe Retro could work on another classic IP?? imagine what they could do with Kid Icarus or Star Tropics. Or maybe if this generation is pretty much a right off then maybe now is the time to let them test the waters on a new IP of there own?? Now would be the time because let's face it a big name franchise won't help shift more units might as well experiment with the new. For the record I think Retro will have a launch game ready for the NX imagine if they used there skills to make something like a first person exploration/FPS that wasn't Metroid something like what ZombiU was for the launch of the WiiU.

bluemage1989

LzWinky

Don't be silly. They only have two choices: Donkey Kong and Metroid

Azooooz

I think we've been through with this kind of discussion, haven't we?

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

TuVictus

Well considering they were given the choice between DK and Metroid before Tropical Freeze, it wouldn't be crazy to think they'd start Metroid afterwards, though I welcome any type of game from Retro Studios. For all the crap Other M gets, it was a fun game and wouldn't mind seeing another company's rendition of it

TuVictus

Bolt_Strike

UGXwolf wrote:

And now I'm fairly certain you haven't played Tropical Freeze, either. What classic mechanics were brought back in TF? Because I've played and beaten every console DK, and Tropical Freeze only plays like classic DK in the same way that Super Mario World plays like Yoshi's Island.

Swimming and throwing.

Watch the next one add the ability to play as the Kongs separately and animal buddies not named Rambi and not do anything new and then we'll have three games of catching up with the Classics.

Cheesehead302 wrote:

Now, not saying I don't want a new Metroid game, Tropical Freeze is incredible, it's one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played and that ain't no lie. Retro evened it off, time period of Metroid, time period of DK. I just don't understand people who say Tropical Freeze was disappointing because it wasn't Metroid, they've both had their times to shine. Heck, Metroid actually got more main series games than DK, if you count Other M. And then when you consider the fact that one of the 3 DK games that have released was a remake, that's only 2 games.

It's an issue with opportunity cost. You have two games you can make for Wii U. One is a nostalgia fueled 2D platformer, something Nintendo makes a ton of, with virtually nothing to add aside from adding things in from older games, but it will probably sell well. Another is a 3D exploration based shooter, which Nintendo doesn't make much of, with more to use the Gamepad for, is beloved by fans but probably won't sell well. Now there's several ways to look at it, but in terms of new gameplay, which is the reasoning Retro cited for choosing DK, which do you think is the better choice?

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.