Wii U Forum

Topic: Interesting quote from E3 2006 and Wii U current status

Showing 1 to 20 of 22

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sinanziric

1. Posted:

Quote from Nintendo E3 2006 Reggie Fils-Aime:

"Nintendo's way is to challenge conventional thinking, not just for the sake doing things differently - but to do things better.

The Graveyard of any industry is filled with the headstones of companies who decide to keep doing things the same all the way, planing only on the margin -> making things just a little bit better. (LIKE SONY and Microsoft)

That strategy works! For a while....but ultimatively its a Fail!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDMg5b-n2w

(11:45-12:20)

By thinking this way (and if its true) Wii U has still a lot to show in this gen console wars. If this is true (Graveyard of any industry...) then PS3/XBOX360 owners will very slowely switch to new PS4/xbox due the fact it's only minor hardware upgrade and this will cause the trouble to M$ and Sony.

Do you people think that Wii U can still win sales in the long run against Sony and M$?

Edited on by sinanziric

Large groups of American Nintendo Fanboys requesting asylum in EU because they were abused by NoA

Nintendo Network ID: ziratul

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

2. Posted:

I seriously doubt the wii u can "win" the sales in the long run, it will be lucky to maintain parity with xbone and its disastrous PR and U-turns is what I'm thinking, on the plus side they still have 3DS which no offence to vita fans has no real competition.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DanMan82

3. Posted:

Sure, but Nintendo really has to push forward with this. According to ReviewTechUSA (which is sometimes not reliable) the Wii U has more games that are rendered in 1080p 60fps than both the Xbox One and PS4. I know that the PS4 and Xbox are still early in their life and everything (and with more power) but that's saying something if they can continue that trend in the future. I don't think Nintendo will "win" this console war by any stretch, but they have the opportunity to still reel in impressive numbers if they play their cards right...

Me personally, I believe this has to happen by offering up enough "compelling" software for "hardcore" gamers to take notice. It can be a secondary console for the Sony and Microsoft gamers. Also, there are some Xbots and Sony drones that will never buy a Nintendo console. The only games they buy every year are ones with Grand Theft Auto, Halo, Gears of War, CoD, and Madden in the title. Unless Nintendo can get games like these (i.e. exclusivity), these fan boys won't even think twice about them.

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Warruz

4. Posted:

Reala wrote:

I seriously doubt the wii u can "win" the sales in the long run, it will be lucky to maintain parity with xbone and its disastrous PR and U-turns is what I'm thinking, on the plus side they still have 3DS which no offence to vita fans has no real competition.

On the same note i doubt we will see Xbox in the next console line up judging by how Microsoft wants to take the console to an all in one type of setup, or at the very least not an xbox we know(of course this is my opinion but we will see how things play out).

But more me personally i think Nintendo's goal should be to not try to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft and carve themselves out to be Console #2, aka the console you purchase when you already own something else or a big nintendo fan. This would mean further strengthening the Wii U's exclusive library even further to have enough games to show "you cant get this anywhere else" not only that but those new exclusives should be more mature variety so there is a more even spread of type of games. Now i know Nintendo does not want to tarnish there family friendly appeal and thats good just have second party developers to make said games.

And Above all... ADVERTISE FFS

Check out my Video Game Podcast / Website - Pauseyourgame.com
Series of articles dealing with ways to improve Wii U Marketing - http://pauseyourgame.com/2013/10/what-nintendo-wii-u-need-to-do-part-1/

Twitter: Warruz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gioku

5. Posted:

Reala wrote:

...they still have 3DS which no offence to vita fans has no real competition.

Yes, sad but true. I always see the Vita in a little section of the games department in stores, whereas there's an entire wall of 3DS games... and big 3DS advertisements and such. The Vita, again, just gets a little corner. And some places you have to be looking for it specifically to find it... I'm not complaining, though; I'm happy the 3DS is doing so well! ...but I feel a little bad for the poor little Vita...

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

6. Posted:

I don't know about you lot but I haven't seen any games worth purchasing a PSONE for... Discuss ;)

Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DanMan82

7. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

I don't know about you lot but I haven't seen any games worth purchasing a PSONE for... Discuss ;)

Untitled

We're probably the only two people on this planet that share this opinion. If KH3 and Battlefront 3 come to Wii U, I wouldn't even bother with them (probably still won't if Wii U doesn't get them). They're not worth $450+ to me.

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

8. Posted:

Reala wrote:

I seriously doubt the wii u can "win" the sales in the long run, it will be lucky to maintain parity with xbone and its disastrous PR and U-turns is what I'm thinking, on the plus side they still have 3DS which no offence to vita fans has no real competition.

If we're doing predictions......

  • The Wii U will be a sleeper hit, it'll churn along oblivious to the competition in it's little niche
  • Streaming boxes will find another niche and will carve out their own space for third party content
  • PS4/XBone will fight it out in the remaining space
  • This will be the last generation where people by locked down machines for third party content

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Blast

9. Posted:

Games like Monolith's X for Wii U will show the Wii U's power and make other companies jealous (if the game is good) ;)

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I do plan on getting a PS4 someday :D

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Guitardude7

10. Posted:

I'm not counting the Wii U out yet. I think it'll win. With PS4 and Xbone you have two systems that play exactly the same way they've been playing for their last few generations. No changes at all. Whats the difference between a PS3 and PS4 game? Better graphics. Thats it. I think once the Wii U FINALLY gets its freaking foot in the door and the innovative hard hitting games come, it'll win the 8th gen.

Guitardude7

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5439-2641 | Nintendo Network ID: Guitardude7

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlackStar9000

11. Posted:

Guitardude7 wrote:

I'm not counting the Wii U out yet. I think it'll win. With PS4 and Xbone you have two systems that play exactly the same way they've been playing for their last few generations. No changes at all. Whats the difference between a PS3 and PS4 game? Better graphics. Thats it. I think once the Wii U FINALLY gets its freaking foot in the door and the innovative hard hitting games come, it'll win the 8th gen.

Extremely optimistic, but as much of a fan of Nintendo I am (I have LITERALLY owned EVERY nintendo system console and handheld, even the fun but flawed virtual boy) I can tell that this gen will determine if they have what it truly takes to not only innovate games, but keep up with modern practices (unified accounts and a true online infrastructure) As of now NO ONE is talking about the Wii U and it is not only completely unknown/ignored by most, its lost far more ground than its gained as more retailers fail to sell their games and have a low stock of them. That said, Nintendo isn't dumb or blind, they know they are behind (sales,features and services provided), and its time they dug in those pockets and start to spread the wealth to other sources to get the ball rolling, and they need to do it soon. Games will come, the 3DS proved that, but will 3rd party support return or will Nintendo continue with its limited unified account systems and crappy online service to provide some real multiplayer experiences outside of local, I am personally waiting....

BlackStar9000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BlackStar9000

12. Posted:

DanMan82 wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

I don't know about you lot but I haven't seen any games worth purchasing a PSONE for... Discuss ;)

Untitled

We're probably the only two people on this planet that share this opinion. If KH3 and Battlefront 3 come to Wii U, I wouldn't even bother with them (probably still won't if Wii U doesn't get them). They're not worth $450+ to me.

I completely agree, as of now only KH3 (which will also be on the Xbone) is the only game i want that gives any desire for the new consoles. But Im smart enough to know that eventually Sony will make some more mature exclusive gems like the last of us that i know I want, but I'll probably wait a few years till I can get the system cheap and good amount of must play games come out for it and I can get them for low bargins, cause I have learned that there is no rush with these systems nowdays, few games really get me excited or maintain my attention unlike the 90s 16 bit era of gaming.

BlackStar9000

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

13. Posted:

DanMan82 wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

I don't know about you lot but I haven't seen any games worth purchasing a PSONE for... Discuss ;)

Untitled

We're probably the only two people on this planet that share this opinion. If KH3 and Battlefront 3 come to Wii U, I wouldn't even bother with them (probably still won't if Wii U doesn't get them). They're not worth $450+ to me.

Yeah I know what you mean bro... The good thing about not worrying about a PSCRASHBOX41 is spending the cash I save on more important stuff like food, alcohol and WiiU games ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

14. Posted:

There are too many games to play on the 3DS and Wii U as it is so there is no reason for normal people to own anything more.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

electrolite77

15. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

There are too many games to play on the 3DS and Wii U as it is so there is no reason for normal people to own anything more.

I'm a (sigh) normal 36-year-old with a job and a wife and I totally disagree with you. Anyone with more than one machine is not 'normal? Dear me.

This will be another gen where my machine buying is Nintendo plus A.N. Other-probably Sony though not for a while yet given how dull the PS4 launch line-up is. Nintendo make great games but don't offer the variety you can get elsewhere. Firstly, their continuing failure to attract the third-party support Sony and MS do. Secondly, if I hadn't bought a PS2 or PS3 I would have missed out on great games by putting the blinkers on and just buying Nintendo.

electrolite77

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

16. Posted:

electrolite77 wrote:

dumedum wrote:

There are too many games to play on the 3DS and Wii U as it is so there is no reason for normal people to own anything more.

I'm a (sigh) normal 36-year-old with a job and a wife and I totally disagree with you. Anyone with more than one machine is not 'normal? Dear me.

This will be another gen where my machine buying is Nintendo plus A.N. Other-probably Sony though not for a while yet given how dull the PS4 launch line-up is. Nintendo make great games but don't offer the variety you can get elsewhere. Firstly, their continuing failure to attract the third-party support Sony and MS do. Secondly, if I hadn't bought a PS2 or PS3 I would have missed out on great games by putting the blinkers on and just buying Nintendo.

I agree. If you want to play most games, you really can't go JUST Nintendo. This gen you're gonna need a 3DS/Wii U and something else. For me, my "something else" is probably going to stay as my PC, though I am waiting for Sony or Microsoft to sway me ... neither has really shown much that won't be on PC (that looks good), and Microsoft has made it pretty clear that they are edging away from the console space altogether - I bet the Xbone is their last one. Ha.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

17. Posted:

The only games I want on Xbox One are Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3, with PS4 having no games I want.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Samurai_Goroh

18. Posted:

The only game that interests me in the PS4 at the moment is Knack. Nothing on Xbox One even draws my attention. So I'm going all Nintendo and don't regret it.

Samurai_Goroh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

19. Posted:

Nothing non-Nintendo interests me. If I ever were to get a different console it'd be a Sony brand, but as things stand right now, especially with my poor financial situation, I'm not getting anything else for a very long time.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

20. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

Reala wrote:

...they still have 3DS which no offence to vita fans has no real competition.

Yes, sad but true. I always see the Vita in a little section of the games department in stores, whereas there's an entire wall of 3DS games... and big 3DS advertisements and such. The Vita, again, just gets a little corner. And some places you have to be looking for it specifically to find it... I'm not complaining, though; I'm happy the 3DS is doing so well! ...but I feel a little bad for the poor little Vita...

Yet the Vita still oddly has much more developer interest, and looks to get boosts from how tied into the PS3/PS4 it is. Why Nintendo decided to make the 3DS the way it is never ceases to amaze me.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70