Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 201 to 220 of 416

DBPirate

Me...and I'm proud of it!

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

Hy8ogen

SCAR392 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Not trying to show off or trying to be smug, if you only own a Wii U this gen you are going to miss out. The same applies to people who only own a PS4/Xbone.

To me the best combination is Wii U + PS4 for the 8th gen (which is what I have now). These two consoles complement each other extremely well.

Xbox 360 and PS3 still receiving new games means alot of people aren't missing out on anything, even without an 8th generation system; at least in terms of 3rd parties. The only games that literally worth the most on 8th generation, are the exclusive games.

The PS3 version of COD:AW is just pure crap and SoM on the 7th gen consoles are just rougher than sandpaper. 2 of the biggest release this year and they are both junk on the 7th gen. So yes, if you just own a Wii U for 8th gen, you are missing out and it'll only get worse as time moves on.

skywake wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

To me the best combination is Wii U + PS4 for the 8th gen (which is what I have now). These two consoles complement each other extremely well.

IMO, with all platforms having their own merits and there being no such thing as "one best" platform
Wii U + PC > Wii U + PS4/XBOne > XBOne + PS4 > PC + PS4/XBOne

Wii U + PC is only good if the person know what he/she is doing. Otherwise Wii U+PS4/Xbone is the way to go.

Spanjard wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Not trying to show off or trying to be smug, if you only own a Wii U this gen you are going to miss out. The same applies to people who only own a PS4/Xbone.

To be fair, you're always missing out on something though. If you don't want to miss out on anything, good luck living.

The thing is, it's all choice. I'm sure I'm missing out on some music that is probably really nice. Though my brain can only handle a certain amount for a certain amount of time. Am I really missing out on music though? I don't think in the slightest. I probably listen to more genres than most of you combined.
So am I missing out on certain games? sure. Am I missing out on gaming? Not even close. I know what is there, and I know what i've got and what is coming. I'm satisfied.

So you're telling me missing out on MSG 5, FFXV, GT/Forza, COD and etc is not missing out on gaming? If you're someone who is a fan of Nintendo's work but also want to enjoy titles like I mentioned before, you need to get multiple consoles or you are missing out. If you just want to play Nintendo games and nothing else, then good for you.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

SCRAPPER392

Hy8ogen wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Xbox 360 and PS3 still receiving new games means alot of people aren't missing out on anything, even without an 8th generation system; at least in terms of 3rd parties. The only games that literally worth the most on 8th generation, are the exclusive games.

The PS3 version of COD:AW is just pure crap and DA:I on the 8th gen consoles are just rougher than sandpaper. 2 of the biggest release this year and they are both junk on the 7th gen.

You are right, to an extent. They shouldn't be releasing games on Xbox 360 and PS3 if they are going to be "pure crap". Last time I checked, 7th gen versions of cross-gen games were mainly the same.

Hy8ogen wrote:

So yes, if you just own a Wii U for 8th gen, you are missing out and it'll only get worse as time moves on.

I'm pretty sure people have been saying that for over a year now, and things honestly haven't changed that much. Wii U would probably be getting some cheap a$$ Xbox 360 version, that apparently is "pure crap", so remind me why it matters that Wii U is missing out on that. If they got the 8th generation version to run on Wii U, it'd be a different story, but neither of us would know that for sure, so your point falls apart.

If Wii U was going to theoretically get the 8th gen version, then it would matter, otherwise it's "pure crap".

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

Hy8ogen wrote:

skywake wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

IMO, with all platforms having their own merits and there being no such thing as "one best" platform
Wii U + PC > Wii U + PS4/XBOne > XBOne + PS4 > PC + PS4/XBOne

Wii U + PC is only good if the person know what he/she is doing. Otherwise Wii U+PS4/Xbone is the way to go.

It depends on what you're into I guess, it's obviously very subjective. Though I personally think that PC is a better compliment for Wii U for two reasons. Firstly it's all about getting the performance that you don't get on the Wii U which if you're into that a PC will do that for you more than any other platform can. More importantly though it gets a cross-section of PS4 and XBOne "exclusives", particularly with indie stuff. I'm not into it at all but Ryse has already been ported to PC and on the Playstation side No Man's Sky is already confirmed.

TBH I was tempted to say: Wii U + PC/PS4 > Wii U + XBOne > .... but I was trying to be more diplomatic

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

AlexSays

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U would probably be getting some cheap a$$ Xbox 360 version, that apparently is "pure crap", so remind me why it matters that Wii U is missing out on that. If they got the 8th generation version to run on Wii U, it'd be a different story, but neither of us would know that for sure, so your point falls apart.

If Wii U was going to theoretically get the 8th gen version, then it would matter, otherwise it's "pure crap".

If the Wii U would get quality ports then Wii U owners would be missing out

But since Wii U owners don't get those, they aren't missing out...

So you're only missing out on games if the games are coming to your system. If the games aren't coming to your system, you aren't missing out because they weren't coming.

My head

AlexSays

SCRAPPER392

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U would probably be getting some cheap a$$ Xbox 360 version, that apparently is "pure crap", so remind me why it matters that Wii U is missing out on that. If they got the 8th generation version to run on Wii U, it'd be a different story, but neither of us would know that for sure, so your point falls apart.

If the Wii U would get quality ports then Wii U owners would be missing out

But since Wii U owners don't get those, they aren't missing out...

Exactly. @Hy8ogen says we'll be missing out on games, but he also thinks that the 7th gen versions of said games are "pure crap", which is what Wii U would probably be getting if it did actually get the games he's saying we'd be missing out. It doesn't add up.

The only way his point would make sense, is if Wii U was going to get an 8th gen version of a 3rd party game, but they still decided against releasing it anyway, which hasn't ever happened, because otherwise Wii U would have potentially already had an 8th gen version of a game, which any knowledge of that is nonexistent. That's as far as anyone would know, anyway.

EDIT: Fixed

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

AlexSays

So really, the Wii U isn't missing out on The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, MGS V..

In fact using that logic, Wii U owners aren't missing out on any games

AlexSays

iKhan

RR529 wrote:

NOTE: Condensed above comment for space.

To be fair, they tried to make unique use of their hardware, at least in some cases.

Dance Central Spotlight, Kinect Sports Rivals, & Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved probably wouldn't work as well with the other companies' motion control options. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die & Crimson Dragon have option for full Kinect control, and if I'm not mistaken, even Rise allows you to issue commands via Kinect (there may be more, but I too am not a big Xbox guy, so I'm not sure).

The consumer base simply wasn't too keen on Kinect though, so they made the move to lessen it's role. I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that they never tried to differentiate their exclusives from their competitors, and thus are simply being "anti-consumer" by holding exclusives "hostage", simply because they could easily be run on PS4 or PC without any extra effort.

I don't think Microsoft was always anti-consumer. In fact, I applaud them for giving it a shot at first. The problem is really that they didn't go all in with the Kinect. They didn't advertise it as a central aspect of the system, and they didn't consistently use it. When Nintendo put out the Wii, they put all their marbles in it. Even games that could have used a Gamecube controller required motion controls, because they wanted everyone to give it a shot.

But my problem is that instead of trying to remedy the situation by going all-in with Kinect, they instead opted to revert their system into an inferior PS4. I guess I should be less harsh on them though, as they were more or less trying to cut their losses.

Actually, it's looking more and more like Nintendo might want to consider cutting their losses the same way (not saying they absolutely should). It continues to feel like they don't know what to do with the Gamepad aside from things the Wii and the DS could do. If they can't go all in with it, they may just have to make it optional.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

SCRAPPER392

AlexSays wrote:

So really, the Wii U isn't missing out on The Witcher 3, Far Cry 4, MGS V..

In fact using that logic, Wii U owners aren't missing out on any games

You missed the point. 3rd parties aren't going to be able put games on Wii U, unless it is the 8th gen version. Even if there was/is an audience for these games on Wii U, they are unable to get 8th gen versions to run on it, and the 8th gen version will be the only one that exists after Xbox 360 and PS3 can't run the games at all.

Unless 3rd parties can and are willing to put the 8th gen versions on Wii U, then they might as well not even bother. 3rd parties releasing 7th gen ports on Wii U makes both the console unappealing(to some), and it also makes 3rd parties look like incapable developers on Wii U, so why even bother?

We already have games like Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, and Zelda U to prove that Wii U can run most of what we've seen on Xbox One and PS4(in terms of 3rd parties), so it makes 3rd parties look incapable of even developing on Wii U. A specific example would be Super Mario 3D World compared to Kingdom Hearts 3. Super Mario 3D World existing on Wii U practically confirms KH3 would run on Wii U, so if Square Enix can't get get Kingdom Hearts 3 to run on Wii U, that means that they are incapable of doing so. It's as simple as that.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

AlexSays

Developers aren't 'incapable of developing on Wii U', they choose not to. If it financially made sense, they would do so. Nobody is turning down money.

Since it doesn't financially make sense to put effort into decent 3rd party games, they don't come to the system, therefore Wii U-only owners miss out. It's that simple.

We've been down this road though so I'm not expecting any progress here. You've already stated in the past there's no real reason for developers to ignore the console, therefore they all must either dislike Nintendo or aren't able to handle the Wii U's apparent complexity. Either way ignores the actual issue, which is $$$.

And irregardless of this, if you don't have a system capable of playing certain games, you are still 'missing out' on those games. If certain PC games can't come to consoles because of hardware, those console owners are still 'missing out' because they don't have access to those games.

Your reasoning of 'oh Wii U owners aren't missing out on TW3 because it would be a bad port anyways' makes no sense because they still don't have access to the game. That is the definition of missing out on something. And your logic is based on the assumption that the devs could not make the game for the Wii U, which is something you do not know (unless you'd like to admit the Wii U couldn't handle it, but we both know that won't happen).

AlexSays

AlexSays

Before you type up a long response to the tangent above, the central point is this:

If you do not have access to a game, whether it be an exclusive on another console or a multiplatform game on other consoles, you are missing out on that game. In which case, the person who you originally replied to was correct: by only owning one console, no matter which one, you are 'missing out.

Your backwards reasoning as to why the Wii U doesn't miss out on any games whatsoever doesn't dismiss the point that by only owning a Wii U, there will be plenty of games that people are not afforded the opportunity to play.

You can claim all you want that Wii U owners aren't missing out on Kingdom Hearts, The Witcher, Far Cry, etc. But until those games grace the Wii U, people that only own that console have no option to play those games, and will indeed miss out on them unless they purchase another system. Your adamant defense of the Wii U won't change that.

Even you yourself (well.. your parents) bought you a Xbox One. Why do that if you're not missing out on anything? There are cheaper BluRay players and devices that have the same multimedia functions. If you purchase (or have purchased for you) any Xbox One game that is not on the Wii U, you would have missed out on that game had someone not purchased another console for you.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

RR529

iKhan wrote:

RR529 wrote:

NOTE: Condensed above comment for space.

To be fair, they tried to make unique use of their hardware, at least in some cases.

Dance Central Spotlight, Kinect Sports Rivals, & Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved probably wouldn't work as well with the other companies' motion control options. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die & Crimson Dragon have option for full Kinect control, and if I'm not mistaken, even Rise allows you to issue commands via Kinect (there may be more, but I too am not a big Xbox guy, so I'm not sure).

The consumer base simply wasn't too keen on Kinect though, so they made the move to lessen it's role. I think it's a bit disingenuous to say that they never tried to differentiate their exclusives from their competitors, and thus are simply being "anti-consumer" by holding exclusives "hostage", simply because they could easily be run on PS4 or PC without any extra effort.

I don't think Microsoft was always anti-consumer. In fact, I applaud them for giving it a shot at first. The problem is really that they didn't go all in with the Kinect. They didn't advertise it as a central aspect of the system, and they didn't consistently use it. When Nintendo put out the Wii, they put all their marbles in it. Even games that could have used a Gamecube controller required motion controls, because they wanted everyone to give it a shot.

But my problem is that instead of trying to remedy the situation by going all-in with Kinect, they instead opted to revert their system into an inferior PS4. I guess I should be less harsh on them though, as they were more or less trying to cut their losses.

Actually, it's looking more and more like Nintendo might want to consider cutting their losses the same way (not saying they absolutely should). It continues to feel like they don't know what to do with the Gamepad aside from things the Wii and the DS could do. If they can't go all in with it, they may just have to make it optional.

Well, I can't say I agree with your main points, but I respect your opinions.

I personally don't think exclusives are a bad thing (even if they don't really do anything unique with the hardware, although I'll admit that's always a plus). I don't think we'll convince each other otherwise, but it was a good discussion while it lasted. Agree to disagree?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

SCRAPPER392

@AlexSays
You're putting words in my mouth, bro. I never said 3rd parties dislike Wii U, money was irrelevant to the topic, or that Wii U gamers aren't missing out on games. I specifically responded to @Hy8ogen about 7th generation versions of cross-gen games being crappy. I then said that is probably what Wii U would get if it was going to get said games, which is also a reason why it wouldn't get said games. That is what brings 8th generation into the discussion; in which case, I would actually agree with you that it would be expensive to support Wii U, but 3rd parties haven't even gotten to the point where they know how to utilize the Wii U, anyway. THAT is what is making supporting the Wii U most expensive of all, to begin with.

I only said they should give support if 7th gen ports are still going to be a thing, but if quality suffers as mentioned by @Hy8ogen, then there isn't any reason to do anything, which was my point and response to to begin with. The main point is that Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting crappy versions of games. So, I agree that Wii U gamers are missing out on stuff, but if it's a 7th gen port, then no one should really care, anyway, because it's "pure crap".

8th gen versions of games cost more, now add in that Wii U is different hardware, which would take more money, and 7th gen ports aren't even going to be an option, anymore. Regardless, 3rd parties are incapable financially and/or technologically. We can easily throw the argument right back, which is what I think you aren't understanding.

EDIT: Actually, my family and I went in together for Xbox One, which means I paid for part of of it. It was better than paying full price. I didn't just sit there and say that we should get it, then it happened. Even still, I targeted exclusive Xbox games as what I want, over 3rd party games, otherwise I could have just as easily gotten an PS4, if I really wanted to.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Hy8ogen

We need to face the reality. This gen the Wii U is not going to get AAA cross platforms games. It's not going to happen. However that does not make it gloom and doom for the Wii U. I'm pretty confident the Wii U will continue to receive quality first party tittles and the occasional third party exclusives.

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

kkslider5552000

Hy8ogen wrote:

We need to face the reality. This gen the Wii U is not going to get AAA cross platforms games. It's not going to happen. However that does not make it gloom and doom for the Wii U. I'm pretty confident the Wii U will continue to receive quality first party tittles and the occasional third party exclusives.

I do mostly agree. Wii barely got any despite being at one point arguably the most mainstream gaming console ever. We might get a couple games that Nintendo would be interested in here or there, but that's about it.

Outside of a few, this is not a big deal to me as long as Nintendo continues to make Wii U a quality home for indies and the like, since most games are download only nowadays anyway.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

Hy8ogen wrote:

I have rather eccentric tastes, so that doesn't bother me outside of a lack of sports titles and a small handful of games (among what currently exists/is announced, Arkham Knight, Kingdom Hearts 3, Garden Warfare, end list). But those two things, in addition to smaller 3rd Party games (which the Wii had a ton of), and even some casual games hurt the Wii U in my eyes. All my Nintendo systems have a mix of 1st and 3rd party games.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

I do mostly agree. Wii barely got any despite being at one point arguably the most mainstream gaming console ever. We might get a couple games that Nintendo would be interested in here or there, but that's about it.

Outside of a few, this is not a big deal to me as long as Nintendo continues to make Wii U a quality home for indies and the like, since most games are download only nowadays anyway.

The Wii's 3rd Party support was miles ahead of what the Wii U had. It lost a lot of AAA games later on, but it was still decent compared to the Wii U.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

McGruber

Me...and it's honestly really hard sometimes. My most played games are Call of Duty Ghosts and Fire Emblem...

McGruber

Nintendo Network ID: McGruber

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

The Wii's 3rd Party support was miles ahead of what the Wii U had. It lost a lot of AAA games later on, but it was still decent compared to the Wii U.

yeah, but I would be hard-pressed to think of more than a few that were ports of 360/Ps3 games. At most they had a different version of a game along with a Ps2 version sometimes?

Nearly every 3rd party game I care about on the Wii is an exclusive.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

iKhan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

It depends on how you look at it. Alot of the 3rd party support Wii U got on launch, was an immediate step up from what Wii got. Tekken Tag 2 was only 2 months old on console, CoD Black Ops II came out on Wii U 5 days after Xbox 360 and PS3's version did(with added GamePad and motion support), Sonic Racing was still basically a new game, ZombiU was the equivalent of what RedSteel was on Wii, and I read 2K 2013 was ok.

The only games from big name 3rd parties that were questionable, were from EA, with games like Mass Effect not being the trilogy, or Madden and FIFA having a mocked-up physics engine. So, those games were still a good start for Nintendo fans who bought the console on launch, and already knew those games were going to be there as an immediate step up from Wii.

The 3rd party games on Wii being better is still kind of true, because it was unique to what Xbox 360 and PS3 were getting, because of motioon and pointer controls, which changed the type of games we were getting, in the first place, but there are/were still reasons to get excited about a Wii U 3rd party game, even if it was on other platforms. CoD had the map and stuff, which actually did make a difference for some people, and it was the only console version that has Wii remote controls, even though Activision could have just as easily used PS Move.

We also got games like Child of Light and what I would consider good indie games. None of these would have happened for Nintendo fans without Wii U. Which is why I think the unique software being what made Wii a good system is missing, but we still got games that Wii wouldn't have gotten. This is probably the topic 3rd parties are dealing with right now, because they can technically treat Wii U the same as Xbox and PS, but they may not even want to. Ubisoft has that one game that they are just waiting to release when it is most convenient for them, and it is Wii U exclusive.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Sean_Aaron

Ryno wrote:

I only own a Wii-U for next gen gaming and it's the only system I need. I know I will miss out on the opportunity to play with the variety of the characters in the pictures below but I'm alright with that.

Untitled

I thought that was hilarious and a nice way to critique the creative drought in so-called AAA titles (cue chorus of "look at all the sequels on Nintendo platforms")!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.