Forums

Topic: Does the Kinect-less Xbox One mean anything for the Wii U?

Posts 181 to 200 of 250

Jazzer94

kkslider5552000 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

As someone who was a big proponent of getting rid of the gamepad wouldn't that be problematic since Iwata has stated the company will double down on titles using the gamepad screen as well as games that use NFC figures this E3.

I'm pretty sure I've said this twice already.

Repetition is an on going problem with threads about Wii U.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

dumedum

blaisedinsd wrote:

I mean something like having to blow on your controller to move a platform in 3D world. .

Well do you have other examples? Because not liking the microphone feature is a personal taste.
The truth is that 3DWorld also used the touchscreen to manipulate blocks, trees, gommbas, etc. The microphone was secondary to that.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

DefHalan

blaisedinsd wrote:

This is mostly the subjective part of the idea.

In my opinion the software that has come out for the system to this point is just as big of sin as offering a budget no gamepad SKU. We have already seen them try to make compelling gamepad software (Nintendoland, Game and Wario, Wii U panaroma view, Google street view) and the results overall have been dissapointing.

We saw some quick ideas they have had before moving onto their core franchises (Mario Kart, Smash)

blaisedinsd wrote:

We have also seen software move away from using the gamepad more and more over time.

Mainly I think we are talking about Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, and Smash which are a part of Nintendo's core franchises where they want to deliver mechanics that we already know.

blaisedinsd wrote:

Now we have a promise that they are going to try again (try harder?) to get some compelling applications of the gamepad. I will believe it when I see it.

Well as Nintendo has said once their core franchises are out they can start focusing on new games and new mechanics.

blaisedinsd wrote:

In my opinion current Wii U owners would not care (even though they think they might) if this SKU was offered. They may think why in the hell would anyone buy that SKU but then they simply won't buy it and they will move on with their lives.

Correct if a GamePad-less SKU came out the SKU itself wouldn't affect me. What would affect me and other GamePad owners is that Nintendo would need to start working on delivering games for GamePad-less people meaning less GamePad focused development. Less GamePad development means they were lying about focusing on the GamePad which can cause customers to feel abandoned especially when the next console comes.

blaisedinsd wrote:

In my opinion creating more content that uses the gamepad creatively is a good thing whether or not they offer a budget SKU.

But why create games that part of your already relatively small install base cannot play.

blaisedinsd wrote:

The examples of software being made that can only be used if you have a certain peripheral, that can only be used by a segment of your install base, are too numerous to list.

you mean peripherals that normally come out later in a console's lifespan? It would be like if after two years Nintendo stopped making games that support Wii-Remote.

blaisedinsd wrote:

The real question, from my point of view, is why does anyone think it's a problem for them to release software that is only usable by a segment of the install base?

Nintendo needs to focus on growing a single unified install base. Also there is nothing the Pro Controller can do that the GamePad cannot. So you have the option of creating GamePad centric games or not without having to worry about different install bases.

blaisedinsd wrote:

The person who got the budget SKU is now envious of those who have a gamepad if they do a good job creating this imaginary software, that is something Nintendo would want because that person probably goes out and buys a gamepad in order to use that software.

Or that person just doesn't buy the software as they do not have the hardware for it, similar to those people who don't think the Wii U is worth it for just a "few" games.

blaisedinsd wrote:

The ways that a budget SKU would help
1. You can now sell to people who like the gamepad and people who hate the gamepad instead of just one of those groups.

You can sell to those two groups now, they provide the option of the Pro Controller, it just costs more

blaisedinsd wrote:

2. You lower the cost of entry to Wii U software.

Not all Wii U software. You actually miss out on a lot of features. Features Nintendo is going to focused on.

blaisedinsd wrote:

3. You improve the systems usability (it works still if your gamepad dies and give you more options and convenience to use other controllers instead of making you pick the gamepad up when it's inconvenient)

While not all system functions work without the GamePad, most do. You can boot-up the system, select user, and start a game with just the Pro Controller.

blaisedinsd wrote:

4. I believe you clarify some of the consumer confusion about what the gamepad and the Wii U are. (Oh it's an add on for the new Nintendo console that is needed for some games and lets you play with out the TV etc. etc.)

I am confused how another SKU would not confuse people or clear up any confusion.

blaisedinsd wrote:

5. We don't have superfluous gamepad features shoe horned in to games that don't need them

That is your opinion. I personally really like having a map on the GamePad. Some people call that lazy or shoe horned in but I personally really like it. Since the Wii U came out I find it annoying to have to navigate through menus to get to the map. I also don't think Off-TV play is lazy or shoe-horned as if a game doesn't use GamePad features then Off-TV play is really nice when I can't use the TV but I want to play a console game.

I think I covered everything

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

blaisedinsd

dumedum wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

I mean something like having to blow on your controller to move a platform in 3D world. .

Well do you have other examples? Because not liking the microphone feature is a personal taste.
The truth is that 3DWorld also used the touchscreen to manipulate blocks, trees, gommbas, etc. The microphone was secondary to that.

Well it was the 5th point I made, it was minor. Gamepad enhancements like those things I feel should be optional I guess.

SW-7087-5868-6390

blaisedinsd

DefHalan wrote:

detailed post above.....

Good counter points even if I don't agree with all of them. These issues are more subjective and I enjoy the debate.

I think some of your thoughts on why the gamepad hasn't been utilized too well so far are wishful thinking but that is just me being the pessimist and you being the optimist.

I don't think we need fear a lack of future gamepad support if they went with this strategy. I am the optimist here and you are the pessimist. Much of what you understood as "shoe horned" features are actually features I think we would still get no matter what. They are ways the gamepad enhances the game but some one could still play these games in a more traditional way. Wind Waker HD is a perfect example of this. Me and you may love playing with the gamepad but the game is still perfectly playable and enjoyable to someone who hates the gamepad and wants to play with a pro controller. I also feel that gamepad centered games have not been big sellers but Nintendo will keep making them for us just as they promised. I am pessimistic they can create a killer app however and I don't think succeeding in creating a killer app in the future means they have to sell a gamepad with every console in the present.

I kind of figure that the budget SKU would clearly state it only works for a sub-library of games and that you sort of market it as a box that only plays those games but it does have potential for confusion if someone just buys the system because it's cheaper. I think the hard feelings would be avoided if it costs the same to buy a traditional SKU as it does to buy a budget SKU and a gamepad. Anyone who is in that situation would only have themselves to blame if they were upset they couldn't play a certain game with out the gamepad. As I said this has never been a problem in the past such as needing a light gun to play light gun games or even needing a trackball to play certain games on Atari 2600.

Yes I can boot up the system and play a game with out the gamepad except that I need to password protect my user account so my kids don't mess with my stuff, so annoying that text entry is gamepad only when I use the Dpad and buttons on the gamepad to enter the text anyway. It would also be hugely appreciated to be able to use Netflix, system settings, and the eshop with a controller other than the gamepad.

Perhaps simply updating the software to not force the use of the gamepad is enough. You can get replacement consoles with out a gamepad pretty cheap and the people who would be interested in this sort of budget SKU would probably hear about it. Right now I would not recommend some one getting a Wii U with out a gamepad but if they updated the software it could pretty easily be a very viable option for some people. The boost in software sales is the main benefit and perhaps the software update would be enough to gain those benefits to some degree. It would certainly make the Wii U a better console at the minimum.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

DefHalan

KennyPowers wrote:

Untitled

To true lol sometimes I get carried away lol.

I am not going to discuss this further as so many people have brought up all the negatives and anti-GamePad people aren't going to change their minds

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

blaisedinsd

I am used to longer quotes defaulting to a spoiler tag.....edited to diminish wall of text syndrome....

SW-7087-5868-6390

Action51

Gonna take a stab at this in all seriousness:

1) Let's agree that the numbers I use are not meant to accurately reflect real world values, but act as rough estimates for purposes of this exercise.

Let's say the entire cost of manufacturing a Wii U is $300
Let's say the cost of manufacturing the game pad alone is 1/3 or $100
Let's say the cost of hardware inside the Wii U to make the remote properties of the game pad work is $20

Now you have to make a decision, will the gamepad-free SKU include the hardwarde that will allow the consumer to buy or use a gamepad with the hardware later on?

• I think you more or less have to. It's a lost opportunity if the consumer wants to "upgrade" and cannot, and it would cause even more confusion and anger within the already small and splintered WII U user base if a popular game that requires extensive gamepad features comes out at a later date and those who bought the game pad free SKU could not upgrade at all.

So assuming all that...

Those components costing $20 that allow for the main hardware unit to communicate with the game pad would still need to be included within the unit. I think what is being argued here, is that the consumer will be buying a no game pad SKU at a reduced cost that will contain hardware for a feature that won't be used, unless you make the decision to create that SKU with no ability to later upgrade at all...

Please understand! I am not arguing whether or not this is a valid set of numbers or strategy, but trying to elucidate the argument that is not being communicated well but argued fiercely.

In the end, it's just another reason why an SKU with no game pad is a bad idea now.

Action51

faint

blaisedinsd wrote:

I mean something like having to blow on your controller to move a platform in 3D world. I don't enjoy getting spit all over my controller. If it were not for those elements captain toad levels would be completely playable on a pro controller. Isn't it too bad they didn't let you blow on your controller to make your boat move in Wind Waker?

The things you mention I agree are enhancements. Enhancements that will help define the gamepads appeal.

I think defining the appeal of the gamepad separately from the appeal of the entire console would be a good thing for the Wii U.

the first time ninty used a mic controler feature that i know of was the original zelda on the famicom. if you yelled at it certain enemys would get scared and freeze. this is nothing new. i remember blowing into my ds for wario games. this isn't shoehorned as much as it's something they like to do.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

SCRAPPER392

I just looked at the eShop to see which games require the GamePad, and it's at least half of them. Go look for yourselves...

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

blaisedinsd

SCAR392 wrote:

I just looked at the eShop to see which games require the GamePad, and it's at least half of them. Go look for yourselves...

That is surprising to me. Are you sure these are not games that simply support the gamepad and do not require it?

I know NES remix originally was gamepad only when it was released. This was a huge oversight that was quickly corrected by a patch that let you use any and all controllers. All the VC games support all controllers as well.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

SCRAPPER392

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

That is surprising to me. Are you sure these are not games that simply support the gamepad and do not require it?

I know NES remix originally was gamepad only when it was released. This was a huge oversight that was quickly corrected by a patch that let you use any and all controllers. All the VC games support all controllers as well.

They are titles that require it. I was only including Wii U specific software(indie, apps, retail download). Some of the Lego games require it. Splintercell, Deus Ex, and a ton of indie games require it...

Qwest

blaisedinsd

SCAR392 wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

They are titles that require it. I was only including Wii U specific software(indie, apps, retail download). Some of the Lego games require it. Splintercell, Deus Ex, and a ton of indie games require it...

Well much of that is just laziness then. Splinter cell requires the gamepad? Seriously?

This is the type of laziness that would be corrected if a budget SKU was a reality. Games like Splintercell should not require the gamepad.

How hard is it to make a button on your pro controller switch between the two screens? (I think it can be done on a system wide lever with out too much trouble) The vast majority of games that require the gamepad do so unnecessarily. Unless its using a touchscreen/mic/gyro the procontroller should be an alternative option.

Your list is just like saying Netflix requires the gamepad....yes it does require the gamepad but there is no reason it should support only the gamepad and nothing else.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

SCRAPPER392

@blaisedinsd
Well, usually they just map the controls to a button, but since the GamePad is there, and it comes with every system, they design the game to utilize the GamePad and expect people to use it. That's why the GamePad would have probably been optional from the get go, if it were to be at all.

Nintendo said their system was going to be heavily based on 2 screen games, so I don't know how people expected otherwise. Even Ubisoft said Splintercell was a real attempt at making good use of it. They don't even have local co-op, because they want players to play on the GamePad, without a split screen, I think.

Qwest

MikeLove

Splinter Cell 100% absolutely did not require the gamepad. I played through it with the pro controller.

MikeLove

SCRAPPER392

KennyPowers wrote:

Splinter Cell 100% absolutely did not require the gamepad. I played through it with the pro controller.

Oh, well it says it does on the eShop. Still, there are alot of games that need the GamePad. Nintendo would be asking 50+ developers to implement a different controller option, even though the GamePad might be what has drawn them to publishing/developing for the platform.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Action51

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

blaisedinsd wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well much of that is just laziness then. Splinter cell requires the gamepad? Seriously?

This is the type of laziness that would be corrected if a budget SKU was a reality. Games like Splintercell should not require the gamepad.

How hard is it to make a button on your pro controller switch between the two screens? (I think it can be done on a system wide lever with out too much trouble) The vast majority of games that require the gamepad do so unnecessarily. Unless its using a touchscreen/mic/gyro the procontroller should be an alternative option.

Your list is just like saying Netflix requires the gamepad....yes it does require the gamepad but there is no reason it should support only the gamepad and nothing else.

My head just exploded from this thread again...I need to invest in some duct tape.

It's laziness when devs don't use the game pad and it's laziness when devs require it now...

Confirming what I've always thought:
This gen Nintendo is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

^blaisedinsd - I'm not saying you have contradicted yourself, just making an observation on how absurd these arguments can get

Action51

Action51

SCAR392 wrote:

KennyPowers wrote:

Oh, well it says it does on the eShop. Still, there are alot of games that need the GamePad. Nintendo would be asking 50+ developers to implement a different controller option, even though the GamePad might be what has drawn them to publishing/developing for the platform.

Here's a personal anecdote: I was really sick today and wanted to sit up in my bed with the pro controller and play some Toki-Tori since it's a slow, puzzle game that my mucus-filled head could relax and play...guess what?

• Gamepad required.

Action51

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.