Forums

Topic: Does the Kinect-less Xbox One mean anything for the Wii U?

Posts 201 to 220 of 250

SCRAPPER392

Well, there are some games that only use it for off-TV play, but still require it. Runner 2 requires it, and that's only off-TV play use.

The GamePad is easier to implement than Kinect 2.0, because it's a touch screen controller combo, so it isn't nearly the same situation.

The touch screen naturally just makes more software available, whether it uses both screens effectively or not. Color Zen needs the GamePad. Without the GamePad in every WiiU SKU, whoever published it probably wouldn't have put it on Wii U.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

I wouldn't know what games require the GamePad and what ones don't because I always use the thing. Unlike say the Kinect where there were only a handful of games that supported it in any form. Compare that to the Wii U where EVERY game supports the GamePad. Some of them even require the thing, shocking I know. It's not like there's just Wii Sports Club and nothing else, there are other games that use it.

Anyways, discussion was old before it even started in this thread. The least I can do is keep posting music in the hopes that someone finds use out of it.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

Anyways, discussion was old before it even started in this thread. The least I can do is keep posting music in the hopes that someone finds use out of it.

Your posts are kinda the only reason I keep checking this Thread

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

jariw

SCAR392 wrote:

The touch screen naturally just makes more software available, whether it uses both screens effectively or not. Color Zen needs the GamePad. Without the GamePad in every WiiU SKU, whoever published it probably wouldn't have put it on Wii U.

I agree. However, no doubt that Color Zen actually needs the touch screen to drag things around in the game, but when I played it the whole game acts if the GamePad is an iPad mini, without no support for any controller buttons (that I could find at least). Being forced to double-tap on the screen to display the selection menu (and not have the option to use a button like "Select" for that) doesn't feel right at all. Although Color Zen is a budget title and uses the touch screen, the GamePad implementation isn't good IMO. Or perhaps I just missed some obvious option somewhere.

jariw

SCRAPPER392

@jariw
I see. Maybe you just have to get used to it. I haven't played it, but I know it requires the touch screen, because it comes from mobile.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

BoltedArc

Okay who doesnt like the game pad honestly?

Look from a farther distance to see the entire picture, even if you don't want to!

DefHalan

BoltedArc wrote:

People who haven't used it

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

BoltedArc wrote:

People who love to stand on soapboxes

BoltedArc

Im sorry but as an owner of all three systems the wiiu stands out way more then the other's the xbone has its kinect and tv features, the Ps4 has its power and desire to stand with pc, all consoles have exclusives the WiiU's controller is hands down the best as far as functionality, its easier to type everything & bring your game with you. Also the internet web browser on the wiiu is far superior to both xbone and Ps4, while both xbonePs4 are superior in hardware they still have a hard time reaching 1080p 60f mainly xbone but Ps4 is having this problem as well, the thing is we are still in the HD era none of the consoles are pushing past 60f, and none are even close to reaching 4k, the games coming out now, are similar to 7th gen consoles 360ps3, developers want to make things look realistic but not much really has changed I love my Ps4 and WiiU the xbone kinda looks to be the black sheep for me. I will say this, the only thing that currently divides these consoles is exclusives, power kinda means zilch when the WiiU does 720p xbone does 800p ps4 900 all of which can be upscaled to 1080, all of them will handle games differently but we are still stuck between 30 and 60 frames on all! In all manner of speaking nothing has changed except new hardware that lets developers do whatever easier!

Look from a farther distance to see the entire picture, even if you don't want to!

iKhan

ghosto wrote:

The gamepad is by far the best feature of the Wii U and you guys want Nintendo to take an axe to it? Either you guys don't own a Wii U or you aren't using the gamepad properly. The gamepad is fine, its the lazy, cheap, incompetent developers who can't utilize it that are the issue. How hard is it to put an inventory screen or a map on the gamepad? First thing my friend said when he played Ocarina of Time on the 3DS was how much easier and nicer it was to swap gear on the fly and I thought the exact same thing playing windwaker on the Wii U.

It's not, that's a reason it should go. What's the reason for raising the cost of a system by 100 dollars for a feature that can be implemented whether the Gamepad is included or sold separately? That's not to say I think it should go, that's just a reason in favor of that argument.

BoltedArc wrote:

Okay who doesnt like the game pad honestly

Raises hand. I was underwhelmed the second I saw it at E3 2011. What the hell is a giant screen going to add to gameplay on a TV? E3 2012 helped a little bit, as Nintendo did give me some idea of why the Gamepad could be useful, but what was shown at E3 2012 is pretty much the full extent of the Gamepad use the system has seen in 1.5 years on the market. From what I've played on the Gamepad, it's comfortable and light, and in the right situation it can be really interesting, but it's completely devoid of the wow factor motion control, dual/touch handheld gaming, and glasses-free 3D had.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Dreamz

Funny how nobody seems to question the second screen on the DS/3DS/2DS, despite the fact that it's the exact same bloody thing as the Wii U's gamepad.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

iKhan

Dreamz wrote:

Funny how nobody seems to question the second screen on the DS/3DS/2DS, despite the fact that it's the exact same bloody thing as the Wii U's gamepad.

A couple of things:
1. Lets say it does do the same thing, the DS already did it, so the Wii U isn't bringing any new gameplay ideas that already possible with the DS or 3DS.
2. With a handheld, you can easily look at both screens at once. With the Wii U, it's possible, but much more difficult. You have to awkwardly hold the Gamepad out at arms length right under the TV in your field of view.
3. The second screen on the DS/3DS doesn't cost $140 to produce

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

iKhan wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

A couple of things:
1. Lets say it does do the same thing, the DS already did it, so the Wii U isn't bringing any new gameplay ideas that already possible with the DS or 3DS.
2. With a handheld, you can easily look at both screens at once. With the Wii U, it's possible, but much more difficult. You have to awkwardly hold the Gamepad out at arms length right under the TV in your field of view.

1. Bringing ideas from the DS to a home console is not something? Off TV Play? Asymmetric multiplayer?
2. Since when do you have to physically give both screens your full attention? Go play Wind Waker HD or AC:IV
3. Neither does the GamePad

Edited on by skywake

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

A couple of things:

1. Bringing ideas from the DS to a home console is not something? Off TV Play? Asymmetric multiplayer?
2. Since when do you have to physically give both screens your full attention? Go play Wind Waker HD or AC:IV
3. Neither does the GamePad

1. No, bringing ideas from the DS is not a new gameplay idea. Off-TV Play has nothing to do with gameplay. Asymmetric Multiplayer definitely has potential, and from what I've played the Wii U does it really well, but it's use is really limited.
2. You don't, but you need to give both some attention simultaneously for many games. When I play games on my DS or 3DS, I keep an eye both on the top and bottom screen in games that utilize both. And again I'm referring to gameplay ideas (As in games like Big Brain Academy or TWEWY). Moving a start menu to a different screen isn't what I'm talking about.
3. http://wiiudaily.com/2013/02/wii-u-gamepad-costs-around-140-t...

BoltedArc

The fact is they are not utilizing the gamepad fully, like CoD ghosts multiplayer you can play split screen or tv and gamepad there isnt an option to play split screen and gamepad making it three player online, in MK8 where using the gamepad could get you a five player match, so far there is so much potential but not everyone is on board. Nintendo themselves need to step up for their hardware, what I don't understand is how the wii had quite a few games that where really good but instead of continuing to produce those games in HD they decided to release nothing. Sin&punishment star successor, tatsunoko vs capcom, mad world....ect I see these games and just wonder if nintendo is just sleeping on there competition or is the management so old that they can't get the big picture!

Edited on by BoltedArc

jariw

BoltedArc wrote:

in MK8 where using the gamepad could get you a five player match

MK8 prioritize 60 fps (or 59 fps if you run against the computer, apparently) and details in the graphics. Having played the MK8 demo myself, I'm really glad they made that priority.

jariw

BoltedArc

Its 60f for single but drops as you add players but still MK8 looks great and the 59f drop isnt during every frame its only during a certain time and they will probably fix it

iKhan

jariw wrote:

You're posting a link to an article that's almost 1.5 years old, that shows what the consumer would pay back then. How does that relate to what the production cost is now?

It doesn't, it relates to Nintendo's decision to incorporate something so expensive when they decided what the system would be. The Gamepad forced them to give the system a high price (by Nintendo standards) and not make the system as powerful as the competition.. And that the issue with the Gamepad. Building a system with a 50 dollar map/menu screen isn't that big a deal, but bulding a system with a $140 map/menu screen is a huge misallocation.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.