Forums

Topic: Anybody else kinda regret purchasing a Wii U? (mixed feelings)

Posts 101 to 120 of 167

Cyberbotv2

Nintendo should forget about these third parties. They should develop their own sports games with implementation of the Gamepad. NBA, All Japan Pro Wrestling, mutant football and baseball games, etc.

Cyberbotv2

CanisWolfred

Einherjar wrote:

@CanisWolfred Even with a LOT of fantasy and mind bending, i have NO idea how you came to THAT conclusion ?
But as long as it works for you, do as you like Different people, different taste. No one is forcing you to buy nintendo products. If you dont like them, stay away, simple as that.
If youre fine with what the competition is offering, good, im not.

You pretty much said "don't buy Nintendo Consoles if you want games from other companies. That's what the other consoles are for." Which is fine. I'll just stop buying Nintendo consoles if they alone are the only company supporting their console. Why would I want to pay hundreds of dollars to just play games from one single company? Doesn't make sense to me. So I guess the Wii U will be my last console from Nintendo, unless something changes, of course.

But seriously, I'm tired of people saying, "What are people expecting when buying a nintendo system?" I know I used to expect a solid and steady stream of games, even if there weren't as many as what we'd see on the other consoles, and I used to expect that quite a few Japanese companies - the only ones I care about - would support them.

I don't buy Nintendo consoles just for Nintendo games, just as I don't buy Sony consoles just for sony games. I buy them because they have plenty of good games, regardless of company. Plain and simple.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SCRAPPER392

@CanisWolfred
Basically. The 3rd party "dilemma" comes as a surprise to me, honestly. Every Nintendo system has had some form of 3rd party support, so I don't see why that would change now.

Wii wasn't getting AC or Dead Space, but it was getting games like Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, etc. Same thing with DS and PSP. The only reason why their libraries were different, is because of console hardware. Since Wii U supports an equivalent of Direct X11, I don't see why Wii U would miss out on any games at all, besides the lack of a supposed "core" audience.

Wii U probably won't even show its technical age until the last 1-2 years of the gen.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

kkslider5552000

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Wii wasn't getting AC or Dead Space, but it was getting games like Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, etc.

those games don't count because reasons!!!1

and yes, I have essentially been told 1000s of times by the internet (a few times word for word) that games like that don't count.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Wii wasn't getting AC or Dead Space, but it was getting games like Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes, etc.

those games don't count because reasons!!!1

and yes, I have essentially been told 1000s of times by the internet (a few times word for word) that games like that don't count.

Considering that we've been discussing Nintendo's lack of 3rd party support for years, I'm not surprised that people don't think they count, even though they do.

Qwest

Einherjar

@Jazzer94 Sony relies on studios like Naughty Dog to make them exclusive titles, much like Microsoft had Bungie doing it for them. The letter now also jumped to multi console. All their releases of inhouse studios are few and far between and consist of just a couple of franchises, not matching the bandwith and diversity of nintendos own lineup. Thats basicly what is meant.

@CanisWolfred And i already enjoyed my fair share of games not from nintendo thmselfes on the WiiU (most recent Monster Hunter again). 3rd Partys are doing things, just not at a weekly basis. But like i said, i buy consoles solely based on exclusive content and if that means a whole bunch of "same old same old" shooters that are basicly indestinguishable from one another i happily pass.
Much like you dont buying a nintendo console just for nintendo games, i would never buy a sony / microsoft console because of their content.
I enjoy nintendos offerings so much, that a nintendo device is a given for me, simply because i know in advance what i can expect.
It takes a couple of good reasons to get me to buy a console without said strong 1st party "definitive lineup"
Thats why im probably going to pass on the PS4 / Xbone for another year because what sony will definitly bring (the whole uncharted, little big planet stuff) is not my cup of tea at all.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

kkslider5552000

I didn't get a Wii expecting to get the borderline salvation for console JRPGs or an insane Pikmin-like title with some of the best bosses ever. Honestly, a console is a long term thing, so if you get it early, you can't expect to fully know what it has in store so you have to go with what you think will work out, and despite Wii's terrible post-2010 support, I was ultimately convinced Wii U was a good investment (i guess you would call it that) because Nintendo has awesome exclusives when they make games that aren't trying to be Mario 3 and between the infinitely better online/indie support and the Bayonetta 2 announcement (plus Rayman Legends being an exclusive and in retrospect still being the best Wii U game)...it made sense to me. Granted, I don't consider myself the best example as I don't have the apparent 1000s of dollars some of you do to buy several 60 dollar games every week, so if Wii U had a drought, it isn't like I was gonna be able to afford what there was anyway. And I'm starting to agree that it's the only console that doesn't just make me want to get a good gaming PC instead (and I was excited when Sony announced a 3D platformer at launch too). :/

I'm sure this has something to do with your points. I think. I dunno.

SCRAPPER392

@kkslider5552000
Maybe. Wii U came out before any other 8th gen console was even announced. CoD, TTT2, NSMB.U, Nano Assault Neo, ZomniU, and Sonic Racing were all new games when Wii U came out. The ones on last gen systems were a month or days difference worth of release time. That isn't a bad thing, as much as people like to say so.

I still play those games, and they were available launch day. TBH, I think we're paying a premium for this stuff, but the content that is there is still worthwhile. I've spent alot getting what I have, but that's not the point. Depending on your situation, I could recommend numerous games, as is.

There wasn't any justification, regarding quick conclusions before all cards were set. It's just part of the console war phenomenon that people apparently can't get enough of.

I plan on getting an Xbox One, but it sure as hell won't be for 3rd party games. That's why Nintendo needs 3rd party support, and Xbox One along with PS4 need better/worthwhile exclusive games. I say wait until at least one legitimate 8th gen game shows up on Wii U, because that will be the true indicator for whether 3rd party software that isn't on 7th gen systems, will sell. We don't have the information to call Wii U a failure, and it hasn't failed yet, but I think you already knew that.

Qwest

CanisWolfred

Einherjar wrote:

@Jazzer94 Sony relies on studios like Naughty Dog to make them exclusive titles, much like Microsoft had Bungie doing it for them. The letter now also jumped to multi console. All their releases of inhouse studios are few and far between and consist of just a couple of franchises, not matching the bandwith and diversity of nintendos own lineup. Thats basicly what is meant.

@CanisWolfred And i already enjoyed my fair share of games not from nintendo thmselfes on the WiiU (most recent Monster Hunter again). 3rd Partys are doing things, just not at a weekly basis. But like i said, i buy consoles solely based on exclusive content and if that means a whole bunch of "same old same old" shooters that are basicly indestinguishable from one another i happily pass.
Much like you dont buying a nintendo console just for nintendo games, i would never buy a sony / microsoft console because of their content.
I enjoy nintendos offerings so much, that a nintendo device is a given for me, simply because i know in advance what i can expect.
It takes a couple of good reasons to get me to buy a console without said strong 1st party "definitive lineup"
Thats why im probably going to pass on the PS4 / Xbone for another year because what sony will definitly bring (the whole uncharted, little big planet stuff) is not my cup of tea at all.

2 things:

1) What is up with you and thinking studios like Naughty Dog don't count? They're a first party developer just like Retro Studios is for Nintendo (and Bungie was for Microsoft before they let them go), and unless you're gonna say that Retro doesn't count because it's not called Nintendo or something, I don't see why you feel the need to make that distinction. Not that it matters, since the studios that are called Sony have been putting out quite a few games lately, like Puppeteer, Rain, and Gravity Rush, so they have indeed been making plenty of in-house exclusives (last I checked, Microsoft doesn't have a development studio called Microsoft, but of course they still have other development studios that have put out exclusives).

2) Okay. I understand that you like exclusive content. So do I. But I don't think Nintendo can get enough exclusive content without other developers anymore. They aren't as big as Microsoft and Sony (Seriously, you need to look up their subsidaries, there's more than you think), so they really should try to work more with companies like Sega, Namco, and Capcom - companies that could mutually benefit from a partnership, and have a history with Nintendo, so they can get more content out there and hopefully attract more customers.

I really would like Nintendo to do as well as they can, I really do. But they're gonna need more than just their in-house teams to do it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rolLTheDice

While i hoped for more support / different games shortly after launch i was kinda expecting this, so i waited until i could get the Wii U for a price that felt right for a console that primarily gets used for for first-party games.
But i digress.

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

rockodoodle

Good post..... I got the Wii U b/c I like Nintendo stuff. I'm not insane about it- I doubt if I've ever finished a Mario/DonkeyKong, but I still like to play them. Can't imagine not playing them on a system. That said, I have a ton of games that I haven't even played much- got most on sale but also even bought a few third party games just to support the system- Deus Ex, Rayman (which i really, really enjoy) and Sonic.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I didn't get a Wii expecting to get the borderline salvation for console JRPGs or an insane Pikmin-like title with some of the best bosses ever. Honestly, a console is a long term thing, so if you get it early, you can't expect to fully know what it has in store so you have to go with what you think will work out, and despite Wii's terrible post-2010 support, I was ultimately convinced Wii U was a good investment (i guess you would call it that) because Nintendo has awesome exclusives when they make games that aren't trying to be Mario 3 and between the infinitely better online/indie support and the Bayonetta 2 announcement (plus Rayman Legends being an exclusive and in retrospect still being the best Wii U game)...it made sense to me. Granted, I don't consider myself the best example as I don't have the apparent 1000s of dollars some of you do to buy several 60 dollar games every week, so if Wii U had a drought, it isn't like I was gonna be able to afford what there was anyway. And I'm starting to agree that it's the only console that doesn't just make me want to get a good gaming PC instead (and I was excited when Sony announced a 3D platformer at launch too). :/

I'm sure this has something to do with your points. I think. I dunno.

rockodoodle

Einherjar

@CanisWolfred
1: I mentioned Naughty Dog and Bungie, because both studios act in their own name. And like you said, the long ongoing exclusive work from bungie that brought the Xbox into the game in the first place is now going multi platform. That shows that such "2nd party" dev teams can aswell work for other companys.
Sony still has plenty of first and 2nd party studios, but they seem to drop franchises pretty quickly. But to be fair, there are plenty of big names on there but not everything is really my cup of tea in comparison to nintendo, where i pretty much enjoy every series of games. But thats my opinion and taste, not an argument
Microsoft on the other hand is set up pretty badly. Not only are they rapidly ruining basicly every major inhouse franchise (Forza, Fable and Rare in general) but the only big named teams they have are Lionhead (Fable), Rare and Turn 10 (Forza). The only major ace they have up their sleeve is their insane money pool. They are known to strive for every opportunity to seal a short time exclusivity deal (DLC, games etc), but in general, have not really that much to offer on their own.
Also, i never said that studios like AlphaDream, Camelot, Retro etc are out of the picture. Its not impossible that they someday work for other companys besides nintendo. I never ruled that out. Camelot was basicly one of Segas biggest inhouse teams that worked for (obviously) sega, then sony and now for nintendo. They might go back to sony one day, they might as well stay with nintendo.

2: Some of the earlier WiiU multi platform titles were special nintendo editions (Scribblenauts, Tekken, Orochi 3), you have Namco working on smash bros, sega makes exclusive sonic content, we have exclusive deals with platinum, monolith basicly became a second party dev, ubisofts studios tried to be exclusive (rayman) untill the higher ups screwed nintendo and their own teams over, causing a massive backlash, capcoms excellent care of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.
Sure, its by no means a massive support base, but what is there is pretty good. And im totally fine with it. Like i said earlier, i dont need a massive library as long as the games that are released on the system are worth every penny. And so far, they have been in my opinion.
The whole discussion is very opinion heavy, and we might never find a common ground, but for me, thats totally exceptable Its a matter of taste, and im fully aware thyt my taste in games is vastly different than that of the majority.
So, lets just leave it at that: Your preference in games is totally different than mine. Im totally fine with the situation like it is now. It can always get better, sure, but is fine as it is. You think its not ok like it is now and i can totally understand that even though i feel different about it.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

rockodoodle

Another good post. As I mentioned above, I decided to buy some third party titles to support the system overall. Of the third party titles available, there's some quality games. People complaining about lack of third party support should go out and give some of the titles available a try, even if it's not your cup of tea. That's what I did with Deus Ex.

Einherjar wrote:

cameronbelmont wrote:

I have loved my Wii U. No regrets. Won't play most of the 3rd Party crap anyhow.

What he said, all the way.

I cant uderstand all that crying about "thrid party support". What does it mean to you ? We have so many people on here debating on getting Mario Kart 8 OR Smash Bros 4, implying that they either lack proper finances or the time to buy / play both. And there are still people crying about wanting to have even more games ? Whats wrong about having fewer really awesome games in comparison to having a whole bunch of mediocre games that you might not even finish, and if you do, you probably wont pick it up ever again.

What are people expecting when buying a nintendo system ? Nintendo is the only company out of the big 3, that makes consoles as well as games for it. Thats the biggest asset that sets them appart from the competition. The other two consoles basicly only exists because of third (or at least second) party developing studios.
Exclusives are the bread and butter of a games console. Having basicly every game on every console is a bad thing if you ask me. It makes the whole "which console to get" debate totally pointless. I especially like nintendo because of games that will only be present on these systems. Call me "outdated and oldschool" but these type of things have a certain charme to them. The "console wars" died with the HD console generation and i have no idea why people are keeping that stuff alive.
Back in the day (SNES / Genesis era), deciding which console to get wasnt just a question of two or three exclusive IPs, you chose a completely different gaming experience. The consoles were vastly different, the controllers had their own layout and purpose and the game library was basicly like night and day with just a handfull of overarching titles.
And because of that difference, because nintendo never goes the same way as the others i will always choose a nintendo console over everything else, even if it means that i wont have a huge game pool that, in the end, doesnt interest me at all. And i have yet to regret a single nintendo system purchase

@Gamecubed Thats where the "U" in WiiU comes into play: "U" do the laundry and Wii play afterwards But you have to give it credit, it at least changes TV channels for you

rockodoodle

kkslider5552000

My only other experience with Platinum was mixed and I found the demo to be awkward but I still bought and love Wonderful 101. (Example) If you can't find anything on Wii U (or any decent console that's been around for over a year), I will gladly say it's your fault for having limited tastes. I mean if I could like AC1 at any time ever (or in retrospect, Oblivion), I think you can enjoy the more quality ports on Wii U or try to get into Monster Hunter or whatever. Honestly, I didn't get into Monster Hunter on Wii, and I got at least a decent handful of hours of fun out of it.

also in terms of 3rd party exclusives, if nothing else I see something coming from the companies that they decided to let make Nintendo series. And Capcom and Sega will probably put some exclusives based on having the biggest success of 3rd party support (and quite frankly both need to take advantage of any success they find). And I can't see Nintendo working with Atlus and Tecmo Koei not leading to some level of support.

and even ignoring that, I'm relatively fine with Wii U being a Nintendo and indie box. There's literally like 25 indie games alone I'm interested in that's coming out on Wii U.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred

Einherjar wrote:

@CanisWolfred
1: I mentioned Naughty Dog and Bungie, because both studios act in their own name. And like you said, the long ongoing exclusive work from bungie that brought the Xbox into the game in the first place is now going multi platform. That shows that such "2nd party" dev teams can aswell work for other companys.

No, that is not a "second Party", Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. Bungie was owned by Microsoft until they bought their freedom and became independant again. That makes them "In-House" just like the others. Retro is owned by Nintendo, too. Unless Nintendo sells them, they're not gonna be going anywhere.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tobiaku

No, I love my Wii U and its growing library of great games

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

GuSolarFlare

yup "purchasing a WiiU" is an action I regret. as I usually only regret what I haven't done.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Yah, WiiU kinda sucks, but so do videogames in general. Let's go play outside with friends!

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

shingi_70

B-Squared wrote:

I don't regret my purchase in the very least, partially because I bought it for Wonderful 101. And playing that (And SO many after) validated that purchase. Yes, I missed out on the gaming drought but...there will ALWAYS be a drought here and there on ANY system. Granted, third party support would help, but Nintendo quality takes a bit of the sting out of it, at least for me.

I also wait until there are a few games out before I get a console, so never, NEVER at launch. Not to be dismissive of the PS4 or Xbox One either but...do they have a lot announced for this year? I can think of Infamous, Metal Gear and Titan Fall... and Watch_Dogs. I know there are more but...are there fixed release dates? Do we know whether or not there will be a drought for them? Because from where I stand, their releases seem similar to Nintendo's quantity-wise.

Late post but off the top of my head for this year

PS4
Infamous
Drive Club
The Order 1886
Rime
Helldiverrs
MLB 14 the show
Hoholum
Everybody's gone to the rapture
Shadow of the beast
Planet side 2
Deep Down

Xbox One
Titanfall
Sunset overdrive
Halo
Kinect Sports Rivals
Quantum Break
Plants vs zombies garden warfare
Fable Legends
Below
Super time force

Multiplatform games
Tomb Raider
Rayman Legends
The witcher 3
Dragon age inqustion
EA UFC
Madden
FIFA
The Crew
The division
Destiny
Evolve
Mad Max
Alien Isolation
Dying light
Elder scrolls online
Evil within
Metal gear solid ground zeroes
Thief
Project cars
Valient Hearts
Watchdogs
Wolfenstien

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.