Retro Forum

Topic: Can Mother be revived?

Showing 1 to 20 of 35

AuthorMessage
Avatar

frenchy4798

1. Posted:

As many of you know, the Mother series is the popular RPG that is the series that Ness and Lucas (SSB) come from. Due to many copyright issues ( see EarthBound Central) Nintendo doesn't see the series going anywhere, anytime soon. Do any of you feel that it can be brought back?

I haven't lived as long as adults have
I have nothing but my bike and red hat
A smile a laugh
and you in my heart
As well as my baseball bat.

Greetings cheese Popsicle!
the number you have dialed is currently out of pork chops!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

2. Posted:

If you mean bringing back the old games? No, doesnt look like theres any way that can happen.
If you mean making new games to continue the series? No - people would see it for what it is; a good (not spectacular) RPG in a modern setting as opposed to a fantasy one, and not much more.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chuie

3. Posted:

no...................................................................................................

3DS FC:1332-8177-3517 currently playing:Tales of xillia (2nd playthrough) BIG TALES OF FAN! BIG SONIC FAN! lloyd x sheena yuri x judith
PSN ID:Bioshock1313
youtube:ChuieTheUmbreon my new channel
i was mieu-fire

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

4. Posted:

No. I think @Geonjaha shares my view on this.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

5. Posted:

Another Earthbound thread.

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tsuchinoko

6. Posted:

frenchy4798 wrote:

As many of you know, the Mother series is the popular RPG that is the series that Ness and Lucas (SSB) come from. Due to many copyright issues ( see EarthBound Central) Nintendo doesn't see the series going anywhere, anytime soon. Do any of you feel that it can be brought back?

What? Revived? Like Geonjaha asked do you mean the old games? The copyright issues topic comes from statements made by representatives who worked on the first game as to why the original games don't appear on the Virtual Console in America, but remember its not on the VC here in Japan either. That has nothing to do with new games either, I don't remember anyone from Nintendo blatantly saying that the series was dead due to any copyright issues.

As I've said on another thread, Shigesato Itoi doesn't even really work on video games anymore. Unlike other Nintendo franchises, this series was the work of one man, a writer/copy-righter/essayist/novelist/voice actor who wasn't even famous for being a game creator (and who hasn't worked on a game in nearly 10 years). He even stated himself that the series is pretty much over, as he is working on many other projects and he sees the series as mostly having run its course and currently has no plans to work on it any time soon.

I think if the creator himself says the series is over, THAT is what it means when it has nowhere to go from here.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

7. Posted:

So, we can expect The Mother Trilogy3d to hit shelves tomorrow? :'(

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

frenchy4798

8. Posted:

Yes I meant the old games. I am well aware that Itoi is done with the series, but from what I understand he said that Nintendo can take the series. Nintendo really just needs the ok.

I haven't lived as long as adults have
I have nothing but my bike and red hat
A smile a laugh
and you in my heart
As well as my baseball bat.

Greetings cheese Popsicle!
the number you have dialed is currently out of pork chops!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

9. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

As I've said on another thread, Shigesato Itoi doesn't even really work on video games anymore. Unlike other Nintendo franchises, this series was the work of one man, a writer/copy-righter/essayist/novelist/voice actor who wasn't even famous for being a game creator (and who hasn't worked on a game in nearly 10 years). He even stated himself that the series is pretty much over, as he is working on many other projects and he sees the series as mostly having run its course and currently has no plans to work on it any time soon.

I think if the creator himself says the series is over, THAT is what it means when it has nowhere to go from here.

Actually I think the only games he's ever made are Mother (1989), Mother 2 (1994), Shigesato Itoi's No 1 Bass Fishing (1997, SFC) and the Perfect Edition (2000, N64) and Mother 3 (2006). (well, if you want to count EarthBound 64, that's 6 games over a 17 year period. As awesome as the Mother series was, making games clearly wasn't his primary occupation. Can't say how well the fishing games are, but it sounds like they had a rather successful run of tournaments for the game on the Satellaview.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

10. Posted:

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Radixxs

11. Posted:

Yeah, I think it's highly likely.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tsuchinoko

12. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

As I've said on another thread, Shigesato Itoi doesn't even really work on video games anymore. Unlike other Nintendo franchises, this series was the work of one man, a writer/copy-righter/essayist/novelist/voice actor who wasn't even famous for being a game creator (and who hasn't worked on a game in nearly 10 years). He even stated himself that the series is pretty much over, as he is working on many other projects and he sees the series as mostly having run its course and currently has no plans to work on it any time soon.

I think if the creator himself says the series is over, THAT is what it means when it has nowhere to go from here.

Actually I think the only games he's ever made are Mother (1989), Mother 2 (1994), Shigesato Itoi's No 1 Bass Fishing (1997, SFC) and the Perfect Edition (2000, N64) and Mother 3 (2006). (well, if you want to count EarthBound 64, that's 6 games over a 17 year period. As awesome as the Mother series was, making games clearly wasn't his primary occupation. Can't say how well the fishing games are, but it sounds like they had a rather successful run of tournaments for the game on the Satellaview.)

He's more famous for being a writer here, though he has done other things like appear on variety shows, and voice acting, and occasionally film acting. For example he was the voice of the dad in Totoro. He was also in the recent film adaptation of Norwegian Wood, but I have an aversion to Haruki Murakami stuff so I never saw it. ;)

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MysteryPatron

13. Posted:

The Mother games were incredible, and a series more than worth playing. But I don't see it having any sort of future outside of fanworks.
Perhaps that could be enough to let it live on in our hearts, though? Only time will tell.

That said, should Nintendo ever decide to pick it up, the series will be at risk of losing its charm. Shigesato Itoi has done a brilliant job with the games, the likes of which I could not see Nintendo producing from a 1st party as of today. But who knows?

MysteryPatron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tsuchinoko

14. Posted:

Just a quick little note.

Itoi Shigesato just came us as an answer tonight on a very famous quiz show here in Japan (Cream Quiz, hosted by the comedy/production duo Cream Stew).
His description that was put with his face was not anything to do with games. The question was "who is this famous copywriter?"

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

15. Posted:

Ask Masahiro Sakurai the same question in a couple of years. I'm sure he'll have already started work on the game.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

16. Posted:

In order for it to be revived the original games need to be available to those who want it.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BobBillyBoo

17. Posted:

9 Pages is still impresive though. I think it was up for 6 hours before being shutdown.

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Retro_on_theGo

18. Posted:

Pfffft.
No.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RudysaurusRex

19. Posted:

I would love to see a WiiU or 3ds Earthbound game. Perhaps the unreleased N64 one?

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES
The best troll thread ever

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TKOWL

20. Posted:


It's not happening, period.

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL