Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 2,461 to 2,480 of 16,083

mookysam

@Octane: I'm playing it at the moment and would say that it is a better game. It definitely shares some similarities with Hyrule Warriors. Primarily, you'll be hacking your way through hordes of enemies and the battle system itself is almost identical in terms of the the combo button presses, dodging and blocking. Combos are shorter but can be chained so it is easier to get powerful attacks in. There is more of an emphasis on magic spells and abilities than in HW. Instead of having to fill a magic meter, characters have an MP stat and can use a number of spells any time. There is also special attack that functions the same as in HW, only it is called a tension gauge to fit in with the DQ theme.

The major difference is instead of having large battlefields with keeps there are self contained missions on comparatively small maps. It starts off easy but gets more strategic later on, with enemies spawning from multiple locations. A nice touch is that you can switch who you control in battle on the fly, though your party is restricted to 4 members. There is a nice little hub instead of menus like in HW and missions are selected from a map. Overall it seems to work as more of an RPG than HW, particularly in terms of customisation.

In terms of polish and production values this is definitely better than Hyrule Warriors and there is a high attention to detail to ensure it feels like a Dragon Quest game, right down to the damage icons. For fans of the series it's a treat to see characters, enemies and music from across the different games.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

mookysam

Blast wrote:

And I have a question... Can I buy a PSP avatar from the Store and use it as my PS4 Avatar even though I don't own a PSP? It costs just 49 cents but I don't wanna use my debit card for that. Please help! Lol

I'm not sure actually. The avatar I use (an Ape Escape monkey) was selected on my PSP but is the same on my PS3, Vita and PS4. It's just my account avatar.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Ralizah

Sony announced that previously purchased PS3 avatars would carry over. Are PSP avatars distinct from PS3 avatars?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Blast

Ralizah wrote:

Sony announced that previously purchased PS3 avatars would carry over. Are PSP avatars distinct from PS3 avatars?

I'm gonna buy the Titus avatar in a few weeks. If I can't access it on my PS4... I'm gonna scream. Lol

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Ralizah

@Blast: I bought a SK avatar a few months back, only to discover that I couldn't use it. I'm hoping it'll be available after Sony makes the PS3 avatars available.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Blast

Ralizah wrote:

@Blast: I bought a SK avatar a few months back, only to discover that I couldn't use it. I'm hoping it'll be available after Sony makes the PS3 avatars available.

Ohmygawd that's freaking ridiculous. Why the heck are avatars locked to a single platform??? I searched online and Sony sounds as if every Avatar in the PSN library can be used on whatever platform but that's not the case. I just want the Titus avatar soooo dang bad....

Master of the Hype Train

Peek-a-boo

Yeah, avatars are locked to their respective platforms unfortunately.

I use a Flower avatar from the Journey collection on my PlayStation 3 and as far as I am aware, if I would like to change my present avatar to one of the others from flOw or Journey, I'd have to do it on my PlayStation 3, which is actually boxed up as we speak!

Bit of a silly omission, but each platform has its own store and they only work in harmony with the platform you're using.

And yet, the whole cross-buy thing works perfectly fine...

Three new games coming out in the next week or so:

Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Fallout 4
Star Wars Battlefront

Anybody buying any of the above three?

I already have Star Wars Battlefront on pre-order; might ask for Fallout 4 for Christmas if it lives up to its billing.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

I wish Star Wars Battlefront had a proper single player campaign...

Octane

SuperWiiU

Octane wrote:

I'd be much more likely to buy it if it had. Now it'll be a budget buy in a year or so, that way I'll avoid most of the bugs too.
I've no interest in BO III and Fallout 4 either, so I'm happy with my Wii U and the upcoming Rodea.

I use one of the free avatars on PS3, I would never pay for something so ridiculous as an avatar. An avatar certainly isn't worth more than 5 cents, yet they sell some for up to 100 times that.

Octane

SuperWiiU wrote:

Octane wrote:

I'd be much more likely to buy it if it had. Now it'll be a budget buy in a year or so, that way I'll avoid most of the bugs too.
I've no interest in BO III and Fallout 4 either, so I'm happy with my Wii U and the upcoming Rodea.

I use one of the free avatars on PS3, I would never pay for something so ridiculous as an avatar. An avatar certainly isn't worth more than 5 cents, yet they sell some for up to 100 times that.

I'll get Xenoblade X this year, but other than that, I'm happy to sit this year out. Might get Bloodborne and Dragon Quest Heroes during a holiday sale, but otherwise I'll be working on my backlog. Next year's going to be expensive, so I don't really mind saving some money for next year.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@SuperWiiU: Funnily enough, the Star Wars Battlefront beta was surprisingly bug free! Most of the complaints were levelled at the Empire forces being overpowered during the Hoth mission which DICE, the developers, have taken on board.

With the Star Wars hype reaching fever pitch, I think playing it in a years time would lose the magic of playing this game when the film comes out, as well as a declined player base too. Your choice, of course.

I think the most expensive avatars are those American football team badges; $1.99. As far as I can see, nothing on the PS store, avatar wise, is 'up to a hundred times more than 5 cents', which is $5 - the price of some genuinely great indie games!

Peek-a-boo

SuperWiiU

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@SuperWiiU: Funnily enough, the Star Wars Battlefront beta was surprisingly bug free! Most of the complaints were levelled at the Empire forces being overpowered during the Hoth mission which DICE, the developers, have taken on board.

With the Star Wars hype reaching fever pitch, I think playing it in a years time would lose the magic of playing this game when the film comes out, as well as a declined player base too. Your choice, of course.

I think the most expensive avatars are those American football team badges; $1.99. As far as I can see, nothing on the PS store, avatar wise, is 'up to a hundred times more than 5 cents', which is $5 - the price of some genuinely great indie games!

The beta shows just a small part of the game, it doesn't give a good indication if the game will be bug free.

The games doesn't focus on the new movie, so there isn't a lot of magic to lose. Plus I probably won't see the movie until it's out on Blu-Ray or on TV. In a years time there will be plenty of players left plus more people than just me will pick it up at a discount.

I've seen avatars for that price. That was probably 2 or more years ago, but they were certainly there. And even 1 dollar is still a extremely high price for a simple picture that is just a few pixels wide.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Peek-a-boo

SuperWiiU wrote:

The games doesn't focus on the new movie, so there isn't a lot of magic to lose. Plus I probably won't see the movie until it's out on Blu-Ray or on TV. In a years time there will be plenty of players left plus more people than just me will pick it up at a discount.

I say this as kindly as possible however, you are in a pretty small minority saying those words.

The game may not be based on the new film, that's true, but surely you can see the correlation between the Battlefront game and The Force Awakens film coming out (within mere weeks apart)?

That's the magic of playing the game and watching the film at this moment in time!

Sure, you will be able to buy the game cheaper somewhere down the line, as well as the game being ironed out here and there, although I still think you would be missing out on some of the magic of the whole Star Wars period in the next coming weeks.

Like I said, it is your choice. No bad thing playing the game at a later date though!

As for avatars, I haven't seen any going for more than $1.99 - other than those collections or packs of avatars grouped together - but I don't deny your words as they were probably dearer once upon a time when they were a 'new thing'.

I remember some Xbox 360 avatars being 250 Microsoft points at the time; that was roughly a shy over $3.20! Madness, hey?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83

@Peek-a-boo:
Bought Black Ops III for my FPS fix, in large part because Battlefront lacks a singleplayer campaign. That said I'm sure from the multiplayer perspective Star Wars is going to blow everything else away.

Gamer83

Peek-a-boo

@Gamer83: I find it so difficult to play just one multiplayer games at once, let alone two!

The frenetic and fast paced nature of the videos showing the Black Ops III multiplayer makes me feel very overwhelmed. Star Wars Battlefront feels refreshing slow paced in comparison.

I am also super hyped for the new Star Wars film and I cannot see myself caring about anything else (games wise) bar the Battlefront game come December. It's my very first digital full game download too.

Peek-a-boo

Gamer83

@Peek-a-boo:
I'm definitely looking forward to the movie. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan but they are great popcorn flicks. Just hope they don't screw it up somehow.

Gamer83

Blast

@Peek-a-boo: Avatars are tied to their own platform.... Why?!?!?!?!?!?!

Master of the Hype Train

rallydefault

@Peek-a-boo: If it helps, Black Ops 3's multiplayer is actually a bit slowed down from Advanced Warfare last year. I'm a bit of an old-school kind of guy when it comes to the movement, and I actually just want CoD to ditch this new trend of the jetpack stuff and keep us firmly planted on the ground. For that reason, I was actually considering not buying Black Ops 3 (would be the first one I didn't buy since Modern Warfare 1).

However, I did take the plunge, and so far the jetback seems much downplayed when contrasted to Advanced Warfare. It's still very present, don't get me wrong, but it's much more "fluid," if that makes any sense? If people are boosting in the air, for example, it's not like they're shooting ahead/up at an alarming rate, but moreso a soft flutter haha And I didn't think I'd be a fan of the wallruns, but in the areas that they do come into play, they add a nice dimension to the action.

Source: I own the game; good 10 hours into it so far (single/multiplayer)

rallydefault

Blast

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Blast: Although this tweet doesn't mention PSP or the PS Vita, you will be in luck if you have your avatar on the PlayStation 3:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayStation/status/661671705492873216

Blah, you have to be a member on Twitter to host the tweet image so, I left the webpage for you above.

Interesting.... But dang. Really wanted that Titus avatar...

Master of the Hype Train

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic