Forums

Topic: Sony Unveils 300GB-1TB Next-Gen Blu-ray 'Archival Disc'

Posts 1 to 20 of 25

banacheck

Sony has lifted the lid on its next-gen Blu-ray format, boringly dubbed the 'Archival Disc'; a high-capacity optical disc developed in collaboration with Panasonic.

Due to debut in summer 2015, Archival Disc is expected to replace Blu-ray in time, with its massive storage outstripping any other optical disc format to date.

Initially, Archival Disc will be able to house 300GB of recorded data (six times more than current 50GB Blu-rays), although future iterations of the disc will be able to accommodate 500GB and even 1TB of storage. That's plenty of room for big fat 4K movies, large files or huge games.

You can take a look at the Archival Disc logo below, and an ostensibly dull bar chart illustrating how the format's capacity will increase in the future.

Untitled
Untitled

Future iterations 1TB now that's a lot of storage on a disc, Archival Disc Blu-ray sound better but with that amount of storage i don't care what it's called.

Forgot to add there is no way we are seeing a digital future anytime soon, this new Archival Disc is pretty much future-proofing disc base medium.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-12526-Sony-Unvei...
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201403/14-0310E/index...

Edited on by banacheck

banacheck

edhe

When it comes to movies, I never really got in to Blu-Ray. This sounds interesting in terms of personal storage though.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

shingi_70

Pretty cool but this is mostly aimed at Prosumer's since blu ray should cover anything consumer facing for quite a while.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Socar

It only means that its more expensive and will have more load times in the case of games........

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Pichuka97

Wow, this is insane. Hopefully Nintendo's next system is 4K and uses these disks.

Favorite Games: Sonic CD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, and Call of Duty: Black Ops, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game, and Mega Man 5.
My Backlog
Sonic is AMAZING!! Nintendo is AMAZING!! I AM AMAZING!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3887-5606-5777 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7746-7284 | Nintendo Network ID: Pichuka97

WesCash

shingi_70 wrote:

Pretty cool but this is mostly aimed at Prosumer's since blu ray should cover anything consumer facing for quite a while.

Yep, I know plenty of people that still haven't moved on to Blu-rays or even HDTVs. And then services like Netflix are much more appealing to a lot of people. I personally prefer to buy Blu-rays, but they can be rather expensive. Especially for TV seasons.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

Nintenjoe64

Optical Media is dead! By the time that tech reaches consumers, we'll have 1TB+ SD cards and infinite cloud storage that transfers data just as fast!

Although I hope this does happen so I can continue buying disc based games!

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

Nintenjoe64

Also, whatever happened to Nintendo's 'holographic storage' that they tried to patent about 10 years ago??

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

Samurai_Goroh

Meanwhile people still buy DVDs. Blu-ray might be the last optical disc format in my opinion. It failed to replace DVD. As for consoles, I don't expect any with this format. Either digital distribution, card-based storage or the holographic mumbo-jumbo will take over in the near future.

Samurai_Goroh

LzWinky

And electronics companies continue to make less practical mediums in each generation. Explain why a common consumer needs this...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GuSolarFlare

well if it's used for archival it is actually pretty useful, optical media is reliable for this kind of stuff because it usually can't be overwritten

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

LzWinky

But these companies will try to shove it down our throats as if it's supposed to make our lives better.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Samurai_Goroh

GuSilverFlame wrote:

well if it's used for archival it is actually pretty useful, optical media is reliable for this kind of stuff because it usually can't be overwritten

When it comes to big data collection, I don't understand the utility of optical media. Household consumers have no need for this. Enterprises that deal with terabytes of data, have a server stack with some very large hard drives and backups.

Samurai_Goroh

GuSolarFlare

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

When it comes to big data collection, I don't understand the utility of optical media. Household consumers have no need for this. Enterprises that deal with terabytes of data, have a server stack with some very large hard drives and backups.

yeah, I was thinking more about keeping a collection of videos in HD(those things take freaking huge chunks of space) kinda like a digital family album that the kids or elders will never get to erase by accident.
that's the only good use I can see for it now there are cheap and fast and easily accessible external HDs and the not so fast but still convenient Clouds.

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Joeynator3000

That reminds me, I need to see if a 4k monitor is possible for me and my movies. x3

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

shingi_70

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Enterprises usually use this sort of Optical media for backups incase everything goes topsy turvy. Plus I'd imagine alot of studio's that are heavy into digital imaging and video production would use these.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

SkywardLink98

Unca_Lz wrote:

But these companies will try to shove it down our throats as if it's supposed to make our lives better.

Don't question the companies, they know alllllll.....

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

shingi_70

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Don't question the companies, they know alllllll.....

I imagine were not far off from the Blade runner esque future where companies control everything.

WAT!

Joeynator3000

Mizore wrote:

That reminds me, I need to see if a 4k monitor is possible for me and my movies. x3

sees prices Well so much for that. >.>

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.