Forums

Topic: The OUYA – A New $99 Open Game Console

Posts 1 to 20 of 246

retired_account

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-v...

Update: The kickstarter exceeded its goal of $950k on the very first day.

This thing is pretty cool. I saw something about it awhile back and lost interest when I saw that every game will be "free to play", but apparently that means that there has to at least be a demo for each game, which is a good idea. It'll have a curated storefront too, like the app store, which'll spotlight the good stuff.

Anyway, what really caught my eye was Jools Watsham (creator of Mutant Mudds) pledging $1,337 for the thing's kickstarter, haha.

Specs
Tegra3 quad-core processor 
1GB RAM 
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD 
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n 
Bluetooth LE 4.0 
USB 2.0 (one) 
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad 
Android 4.0 

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

turtlelink

We need someone to pledge $1337

Anyway, it looks pretty cool.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

NImH

...interesting... very interesting... I'll be keeping my ears open on this one.
I like that they're in LA... WEST SIIIEEEEED!!!

NintendoNerd since 1986. Dream Address: 4900-2590-0032 Town: DeNile My Sadloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-2275-8578-8399 | 3DS Friend Code: 3239-3091-0052 | Nintendo Network ID: NImH37 | Twitter:

Hokori

Uhhh no thanks

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

shingi_70

Polygon did a write up on the system
http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/10/3147757/ouya-the-99-...

The UI desgon is better than anything on consoles so thats a start.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Its cheap, and ope. Source android. Buying one and already know what I'm using it for.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Wheels2050

I really don't quite understand the point of it.

It's a PC.

Sure, a cheap and underpowered PC, but they're talking about it being 'hackable' and 'open source' as if it's the first gaming platform to ever achieve that. I can't see a single thing that this could do that a PC couldn't do better, even if it might cost $300 instead of $100.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

SonyFACE

I don't want it.

Charter Member of SonyLife.
Nintendo and Sony for the win, Microsoft ehh.
Psalm 51.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5840-8779 | Nintendo Network ID: SonyFACE

Lan

Such a stupid idea .-.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

JustAnotherUser

I got some garbage in high school for using Linux because it's freaky and I'm (excuse the term) a freak.
And now those same people are probably going to go out and a buy a (so-called) open-source console because it's their "right" and "the future".
If it truly is open-source why do they need to send out SDK's?

If it's a "games console" just wait until all the developers are slapped with the rating payment.

"Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe."
At this point I'm done.
Go to hell Kickstarter.

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

Xkhaoz

Its a pretty cool idea, but I don't see why you all are so negative towards it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xkhaoz

Lan

Viceroy_Khaoz wrote:

Its a pretty cool idea, but I don't see why you all are so negative towards it.

because this isn't new. we've had this forever

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

Reala

Well the price seems cheap enough to give it a shot, I might give it a go if they actually go ahead and release it.

Reala

retired_account

Going by that Madden 12 pic on the home screen, it looks like EA is supporting it too. Also I wish Madfinger wasn't plastered everywhere. Their games look pretty but they play like tech demos.

retired_account

iphys

I would totally pledge for this, except for fear of what shipping company they would ship to Canada with, the overwhelming backloggery of games I have to play, and the Wii U looming on the horizon. The console does sound very awesome though. At least it looks like they won't have a problem finding enough people to pledge, except maybe at their most elite levels.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

edhe

And it's just reaches its $950,000 target. (edit - that's $450,000 in 4 hours roughly)

If all the console is good for is Indie games, I'd rather stick to the PC. The main selling point seems to be independent game development on a console you can play on the sofa.

It looks shiny, but as with all consoles, I'll only buy into it if the system has some good exclusives, or can offer me something my PC can't.

(edit, almost $10,000 in 4 minutes, and about 7 new backers per refresh (per 20 seconds)).

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

retired_account

It's at over a million dollars now. And there's still 29 days to go, haha. Now to wait for its game lineup and see how much support it gets on the developer end. :3

retired_account

iphys

Oh, I see they upped their $99 backer limit from 5000 to 10,000, which is good because they'll hit 5000 pretty soon.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.