Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,681 to 45,700 of 45,936

Ralizah

@DuskformLycanroc Unless you have commutes that last longer than 3 hours, I'd say just go with the Lite. While I don't technically own one yet, several people in my immediate family do, and I've used them extensively. They're comfy, lightweight, and feel like much less of a hassle to carry around than the OG Switch (original and revised), which is heavy and kind of creaky with its modular design.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

DuskformLycanroc

@Ralizah and @JaxonH my commute isn’t too long and may become shorter in about a year so I don’t think I need the extended battery even on trips.

The main appeal is the weight as I need as light a bag as possible. However, I do manage with my current switch.

My main concern is the ease of having accounts on both and swapping games. Do you get lots of messages for check ins or not being able to play cause the WiFi in my room is dodgy. I also worry that I won’t play my main switch as much because of the annoyance of check-ins and sharing saves. I had a 3ds and a 2dsxl at the same time for a while but felt guilty using one and not the other so much.

3DS FC 5387-0811-6168

JaxonH

@DuskformLycanroc
For me its been near seamless.

Make the OG Switch secondary and yes, itll do a quick check before starting a game to ensure you aren't playing on the primary but, its quick and easy. Saves auto upload with online service cloud saves. Just press + and check to see if a newer save is available before playing a game, that way you never forget. That also takes like 15 seconds to download when needed.

And you can just switch which is primary if you really want to. That takes like 60 seconds. But I never bother.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

link3710

@JaxonH That's an insane price. If I didn't already have a cheaper preorder through Best Buy's GCU + rewards I'd be considering it.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

DOOM Eternal and DOOM 64 are delayed to the same day as Animal Crossing (March 20th 2020) though Switch comes later, 64 is a preorder bonus for all platforms.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Yeaaaah I saw. Doom Eternal was probably my most hyped game of the year, but honestly there's enough other stuff I still have to play from this year (Ni No Kuni, DQ XI, Luigi's Mansion 3, Digimon, more Astral Chain, tons of smaller games) that it hardly bothers me somehow? It's like, I'd much rather see it come out when it's ready then get it full of bugs and have to wait months for a patch.

link3710

JaxonH

Ya, all we've been talking about is how jam packed the lineup is throughout the rest of 2019. DOOM Eternal can have a seat. Shame it wont be day and date but, again, up to our eyeballs in games- it'll take most of 2020 just to catch up.

ESRB rating for Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and a retailer listing for Metro Redux in December.

PLAYING
NS: The Witcher 3, Dragon Quest XI S, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Astral Chain

Jesus is Lord.

NEStalgia

Does that mean it's time for the inevitable crossover we all saw coming?
DOOM Crossing: Nookling Awakening
Untitled

NEStalgia

Magician

With PS5 and Xbox Scarlett roughly a year away, conversations about Switch Pro / Switch 2 are beginning to pick up again. Personally, I think Nintendo is going to wait a year or two after the launch of PS5 and Xbox Scarlett before they pull that trigger. Let the technology costs come down between now and then, and then introduce the Switch 2 at a more competitive price point.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 433 games (as of October 22nd, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Summon Night 6 (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

JaxonH

Meh. Rich has been milking the "Pro" conversation since the inception of the console itself.

Haven't people figured out from the Switch Lite, that you can't "will" something into existence with Nintendo? The "oh they should do that to compete" common internet wisdom is never what they end up doing.

The Switch Lite is their way of competing. $199 price tag. Drive install base as high as possible. They even said it themselves that that's their strategy.

That's not to say a Pro won't ever happen, but at this point I think I agree with @Magician that a successor in March 2024 is the more likely scenario. They're not gonna drop a Pro next year with the other systems, which means 2021 would be the earliest, and by that point they'll be just 12-24 months away from announcing their 10th generation system.

I think people should get used to the idea of no more powerful Switch until next gen. And that's fine with me. Makes the jump more significant when the time comes.

Notice the pattern:

Gamecube / Wii both 6th gen power
Wii U / Switch both 7th gen power
Switch 2 / Who Knows 8th gen power

Ever since the turn of the millennium, they tend to stretch two generations for every power leap. Stretch it as much as they can with that grade of power by innovating on it the subsequent generation before making the next leap. They make a leap, then innovate, then make a leap, then innovate. The Switch successor will be the next Nintendo console to actually make a significant leap.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

link3710

Very much agreed. The absolute minimum life cycle for a system as successful as the Switch is 5 years, or early 2022 for a successor. And honestly? I think we'll see a revised system (the DSi/GBA SP/New 3DS/Gameboy Lite/Color successor) late 2021, four and a half years after the release of the previous system. They literally ALWAYS release one, I can't imagine they won't this time. Then in early 2023 we'll see the Switch 2 release, after a 6 year life cycle. It'll continue receiving games for another year, bringing it to the 7 year life cycle Nintendo keeps talking about.

EDIT: @JaxonH from our same timed comment: The 'pro' is an inevitability with Nintendo's portable line. The question isn't a matter of if it'll happen, but how far away from what people expect will it be. Also, it's quite possible they'll stop with the double generations after this. After all, the further you are behind the easier it is to tread water in a technology race.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

IceClimbers

Hmm, with the Doom delay I now have a gaping hole for the end of the year in my gaming plans.

What game I'm going to play instead... The smart choice would be clearing some of my backlog. What am I going to actually do? Probably pick up one of the budget titles I was going to skip and play that haha.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

PikPi

@Magician Yeah, sounds about right, I think. They wouldn't wanna release a revision when the hype surrounding the new twins is the highest. So I would expect a 2021 release. Maybe even in March like the original launch

PikPi

Grumblevolcano

If we look at 3DS, the setup was:

• March 2011 - 3DS
  • June/July 2012 - 3DS XL
  • October 2013 - 2DS
  • October 2014/November 2014/February 2015 - New 3DS and New 3DS XL
  • June/July 2017 - New 2DS XL

3DS approach applied to Switch would be:

• March 2017 - Switch
  • September 2019 - Switch Lite (purpose is exactly the same as 2DS, you lose functionality in favour of cheaper product, perfect fit for Pokemon)
  • Holiday 2020 or Spring 2021 - New Switch (purpose being the same as New 3DS, probably launches with BotW 2)
  • Spring 2023 - Switch's successor launches
  • Summer 2023 - New Switch Lite (purpose being the same as the New 2DS XL)

Sure there's no equivalent to 3DS XL but to be honest, Switch's screen is big for a handheld anyway. Regarding "New Switch", I'd be leaning towards March 2021.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

Honestly, I'd expect the 'New' switch 'Pro' will have the same amount of RAM, but the next step up to improve the bandwidth, the same exact GPU, and a slightly improved CPU. That'd be enough to see performance improvements in most games, while still allowing it to be cheaper to produce than the Switch was at launch.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

Resolution is almost entirely a GPU rather than CPU issue. It'd be a bit of a lame "Switch Pro" if it was still struggling to get 1080p in nearly every game.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@Dezzy A bit lame, but entirely what I expect. People have way too high expectations for the Switch Pro.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

It'd need to meet a certain amount of expectations to be worth buying though. Those iterations they do surely make a lot of money because the early adopters of the original console rebuy them.
That happened with loads of people with the 3DS, including me. I sold my 3DS on ebay and bought the New 3DS instead.
But it does need a certain amount of improvements for you to do that. I don't think a slightly faster CPU is gonna do it. With the New 3DS, it was faster CPU, a couple of exclusives (including the SNES games), and the C-stick which was excellent for games where you wanted camera control.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Easy, have the new Switch completely fix the Joy-Con drift problem. Then the minimal upgrades will seem enough, maybe add in an exclusive dpad left Joy-Con too.

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic