Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 45,701 to 45,720 of 45,813

link3710

@Dezzy A bit lame, but entirely what I expect. People have way too high expectations for the Switch Pro.

link3710

Dezzy

@link3710

It'd need to meet a certain amount of expectations to be worth buying though. Those iterations they do surely make a lot of money because the early adopters of the original console rebuy them.
That happened with loads of people with the 3DS, including me. I sold my 3DS on ebay and bought the New 3DS instead.
But it does need a certain amount of improvements for you to do that. I don't think a slightly faster CPU is gonna do it. With the New 3DS, it was faster CPU, a couple of exclusives (including the SNES games), and the C-stick which was excellent for games where you wanted camera control.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Easy, have the new Switch completely fix the Joy-Con drift problem. Then the minimal upgrades will seem enough, maybe add in an exclusive dpad left Joy-Con too.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BlueBlur101

Am I the only one who's probably going to skip out on Animal Crossing at launch because of Eternal's new release date

That and I'm getting FFVII Remake at launch in early March, then saving up for P5R, Trials of Mana Remake and Cyberpunk 2077 the next month

BlueBlur101

Switch Friend Code: SW-7235-4572-5129 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@link3710
The 'pro' is an inevitability with Nintendo's portable line

Ehh, I don’t agree. It’s a possibility, but I see no evidence that suggests it’s likely, much less an inevitability.

Nintendo has only marginally improved on one of their systems mid-generation, out of all the systems they’ve released. They definitely iterate, and I fully expect at least one more revision, but whether that’s a “pro” is more of a coin toss than anything else. Even New 3DS was borderline of an upgrade to be considered a “pro”. I think peoples’ expectations here are based on what they observed other platform manufacturers do this gen, and are now jumping the gun by expecting Nintendo to follow Sony and Microsoft trends... something they’re not exactly known for doing.

I won’t discount the possibility. It very well could happen. But that’s as far as I’m willing to go.

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

HEY LISTEN! GO PLAY ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST!

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

NintendoByNature

@BlueBlur101 I wasn't really sold on animal crossing and there wasn't much for me in early 2020 so the delay of doom actually is better for me. I'm grabbing trials of mana too so it doesn't look like ill be buying anything til early spring. Thankfully 2019 is so packed I'll have enough to hold me over til doom..

NintendoByNature

Cotillion

@JaxonH I agree. Nintendo has done it once and the N3DS wasn't exactly taken advantage of by many games. I personally got one, not for the increased power or few exclusive games, but for the stable 3D.
Sony and Microsoft are both caught in the spec war, mid-gen upgrades are part of their game now. Nintendo seemingly left that war a long time ago with the Wii to do their own thing, so I honestly don't expect a Pro model to the degree that others are. I expect maybe a 'New' one with a few improvements, but with nothing that most would consider "Pro".
Nintendo will do what Nintendo will do. They rarely follow trends and do their own thing. Heck, knowing Nintendo, they'd not do it just remain to 'different'.

Cotillion

HobbitGamer

So Asphalt 9 is pretty cool. I just played for a good 40 minutes straight, been quite awhile since I did that with a racing game. I enjoy the bite-sized tracks, and the arcade style. I think the sound track is pretty nice, too.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

Asphault 9 looks excellent.

Unfortunately, the fuel cooldown mechanic kills it for me. If I could pay $40 and own the game outright, with a normal progression system in game and no limits on how many times you use a car, I’d probably have already bought it.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: DQXIS, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ni No Kuni, Divinity: OS 2, Astral Chain, Zelda Link’s Awakening

HEY LISTEN! GO PLAY ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST!

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

Nintendo has only marginally improved on one of their systems mid-generation, out of all the systems they’ve released.

Which one are you counting here?

Gameboy->Gameboy Color (dunno if this counts as an iteration or a different console)
GBA-> GBA SP
DS-> DSi
3DS->new 3DS

Also the N64 had the expansion pack, which is kinda the equivalent of iteration in plug-in form.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

link3710

@JaxonH I think you misunderstood my point. I'm saying it's an inevitability that we'll see a mid generation refresh aimed at convincing core gamers to upgrade and making the system more appealing to everyone else. I don't think it'll be what people are expecting from a 'pro' though, it'll likely have only mildly different specs more to save money from part distribution than a true upgrade.

And they've improved every single system. The GB -> GB Lite -> GB Color, the GBA -> SP, the DS to DSi, and the 3DS to New 3ds. I'm saying we'll see something on that level of iteration.

EDIT: Yeah, I think it'll have some other improvements (no idea what) but just not major spec changes.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I think it's more people's expectations of what a enhanced revision would look like that will lead to disappointment. Too much talk about it acting as Nintendo's answer to PS5/Xbox Scarlett existing when that is really unrealistic, it's more likely that Nintendo will try to get cloud versions of 3rd party games like Japan has RE7 and AC Odyssey to deal with the power gap (maybe this is where xCloud for Switch comes in?). An enhanced revision would likely serve the same purpose as the New 3DS did.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@BlueBlur101 I've been waiting for a new Animal Crossing game since 2013 or so. Nothing short of extreme poverty or death could get me to skip out on it, frankly.

Same goes for FFVII Remake as well, though. I'm not skipping that for any reason.

I'm planning on getting Cyberpunk, but if I had to delay my purchase, it wouldn't be the end of the world. As things stand, I'll likely pass on Trials of Mana for the time being (2 new RPGs are plenty; three is just overkill), and will pass on Persona 5 Royal and Doom Eternal completely until some point in the future when I have the time to play them (P5R is very unlikely all-around, considering I purchased the original at launch; if I do snag Royal, it'll be in a deep sale).

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Maxz

Okay, so this is a 3DS question not a Switch one, so apologies for going off topic (it just doesn’t seem worth creating a new thread or digging up a dead one).

Anyway, just bought a New 3DS (very with the times), and I’ve noticed there seem to be some rudimentary screen protector things installed - just like a thin layer of film. It seems to be applied convincingly enough to be a pain to remove without getting a knife under the corners, but it’s also slightly askew, and I wonder if the image quality mightn’t be better without it.

New 3DS owners, did you try to remove it after purchase?

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Zuljaras

@JaxonH Asphalt games are designed that way. I worked on Asphalt 8 as game tester and the game is designed to make you spend lots of money on nothing.
I have no idea how it is with Asphalt 9 but I do not have intention of opening another game with that name ever again I've seen too much!

Zuljaras

Maxz

@StableInvadeel Hmm... the plot thickens. Maybe it’s not a screen protector - maybe it’s just part of the New 3DS, but the fact that it’s not applied 100% perfectly and has a slight air bubble under it made me think it was not meant to be the final form of the system.

The other option is that it had been applied by someone else. I did buy it at a shop that deals in second hand goods, but upon opening said box, it did look... completely untouched, so I sort of assumed it hadn’t been used. There was no data or anything on the system, and the cards and other gubbins were completely unopened.

Here’s a slightly rubbish picture. You can sort of see a rounded edge that doesn’t quite line up with the bevels of the screen and a very slight raised air bubble/lighter section above. Not a huge deal, but I’m curious how this lines up with other people’s experiences.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by Maxz

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

StableInvadeel

It’s possible it’s just used as you say. One in good condition.

I’d recommend you just leave it as it is: better not mess with it if it’s not a screen protector, but if it is, then it’s a freebie. You’ll stop noticing it as soon as you start playing.

From the pictures is does look like one though. So it’s definitely used. Another good way to tell is by looking around the buttons, used consoles often have those areas “polished” from use. For example, you can see a slight difference in the finish around the start button in your second picture.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Invading your ranch, taking your cows.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Maxz

@StableInvadeel I believe you’re right! I’ve tampered with it a little bit, but the levels of ‘polish’, though slight, are still unlikely to have developed from a hour or so’s use. It really does seem like a very well taken care of/rarely used second hand model. It was a bit pricier than the other options at ¥11000, though I put that that down to coming in the original box and being a limited edition Groudon system. I shall just accept the freebie!

Thank you for lending your deductive skills!

HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic