Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,421 to 33,440 of 70,077

bluemage1989

@DarthNocturnal I know what you mean as an example recently played through the Dark Souls series was honestly a breeze didn't get what the fuss was about but then I play Wolfenstein: New Order and I struggle on normal nearly the entire game. Don't get gaming sometimes.

bluemage1989

Ralizah

@EvilLucario I only use it on the DS4. Anyway, the trick is to first turn hardware sensitivity up to max and then adjust the sensitivity in-game until you get it to a point where you're comfortable with it, I've found. It's as responsive as the gyro in the Switch version, if not moreso.

@subpopz Some people swear by KB+M for any shooters. I can see why, but personally, despite years of trying, I've never been able to get comfortable with the setup. Primarily because nothing feels intuitive about controlling character movement with the keyboard.

Gyro isn't QUITE as accurate as proper mouse aiming, but it also affords me the comfort and familiarity of a controller.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah Analog control sticks allow for more accurate movement. Moving a character around in 3D space with four keys can feel a bit stiff, and you don't really have any control over the speed. A controller with gyro offers the best of both worlds I think. Analog stick for movement, and gyro controls for accurate aiming.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Agreed. I wish the Sony fanbase would open itself up to stuff like gyro aiming in shooters instead of dogmatically insisting on a pure dual analog set-up that just doesn't work as well.

Also, I find jumping with the spacebar, crounching with ctrl, etc. to be uncomfortable, especially when you have to perform these actions in short succession.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Ralizah It's not so much about the fanbase not accepting it, it's more about not having the option. I mean, let's be honest, every fanbase will deny the benefits of something they don't have. I'm sure that if it was made available; people would try it out and like it actually. Now it's more of a ''thing Nintendo does, we don't need it'' situation.

I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to implement it in future games. Can't be too difficult, right? Then again, there are quite a lot of (accessibility) options many games are lacking; Adjustable text size, single button press instead of mashing, heck, many games lack a simple brightness option. I'm sure there's a few people who'd love a colourblind mode too. Some of that gets patched in later, but I don't understand why there isn't a list of options that should be standard in all games, preferably day one too.

Octane

JaxonH

Embracing gyro would be an admission that they've been experiencing games with an inferior control scheme, even compared to Nintendo (and that admission would be like pulling teeth from an alligator).

If Sony themselves spearheaded gyro in 1st party titles, the fans would embrace it, but now that will likely never happen. It seemed like they were going to push it, given games like Infamous Second Son and Flower and just the fact the Dualshock had six-axis, but they never really followed through.

And MS doesn't even have gyro, so it's not like 3rd parties could start implementing it across the board anyways.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH I always forget Xbox doesn't even have gyro.

The fortunate thing is that PSVR exists, and many games utilise gyro controls; so hopefully the feature will become a little more widespread and accepted in the near future.

Octane

StuTwo

@FaeKnight I loved Hollow Knight and it is a very rewarding experience. But (& it’s a big but) if you’re really struggling with the second Hornet fight I’d suggest skipping it. The ‘good’ endings which that fight is an early gatepost towards require some really crushing battles (far harder than hornet IMO) and very difficult platforming.

Having endured it I did enjoy it but I think I might have enjoyed just making a bee line for the basic ending more after a certain point.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

NEStalgia

@FragRed yeah that's the thing... i get this sense the hard game fetish is mostly young people that really have way too much free time and way too little actual stress in life. (Plus a subset of people that never stopped playing retro games and are just used to it.) For the rest of us we spend all day every day ready to havea heart attack..... Recreation shouldn't be adding to that. I laugh every time thres an uproar about violent video games. Doom and gta are positively zen. Give me 40 minutes of mega Man, hollow Knight, or lost levels and I'll rip and tear everyone in a ten Mile raduis with no remorse. . It's the last straw of stress in top of the already barely managed stress

@subpopz it's probably the envy/loathing of all you people with enough calm to actually feel the need to pay for stress . I'll give you some for free if you'd like?

@FaeKnight i do somewhat agree though. Lego City is timeless and I'll hear nothing otherwise but yeah some games became challengeless which i dislike as well. But nobody ever does things balanced. It's either push a to win, or it's this weird sadism of enjoying frustration and suffering. It's the video game equivalent of bdsm (heck Bowser's dressed for the occasion )

That said, even when i was 12, lost levels was never ever going to go beyond 1-2

NEStalgia

FragRed

@NEStalgia I totally agree, I also think if you are in a position to play games for hours on end for YouTube and Twitch channels, you are more likely to be in a position where these types of games will come much easier to you. For me, it's partly a lack of time, even with my Nintendo Switch being portable I am still struggling for time. I have a day job, a website to run and get off the ground and the fear of getting older every day

But also, my reaction time is just not as good as it once was. By the time I have seen something about to hit me, it's already hit me and I lost a huge chunk of health. That said, I do love arcade games now that I can just keep spamming them credits without worrying about spending a single penny.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

NEStalgia

@JaxonH ms is more open to sellinga new accessory that flops the table than Sony though. I could see "elite 2 with gyro to be enabled in all shooters only$199" from them. Then again they're adding kb mouse support that will satisfy more of the shooter hardcore. If they add it to doom and wolf the switch version may get boxed for me.

@FragRed well (sits in rocking chair) i don't even understand why anybody streams that stuff and who on Earth watches. I know a few ppl here do it buti don't understand that entire scene at all.

I agree with reaction times to point though personally I'm not sure mine are any worse than ever.... i wasnt able to escape those cheap projectiles as a kid either. . I recall throwing controllers.... And nes advantage! Quite a few times in frustration back then

NEStalgia

Nemodius

Violence, language & sexual content, pretty hypocritical if you think about it
so many people have been whining and bawking about oh my, there was a curse word, the girl's butt cheeks are hanging so far out, Sir Mix-A-Lot shouted "Oh heck ya, now I remember why I like big butts !!!"
whoa, Scorpion just ripped Sub Zero's spine out...

"THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE, NO GAME SHOULD HAVE SUCH CONTENT !!!"

what is a game, it's a form of media entertainment, you just actually participate in, otherwise it's no different than movies or tv shows which no one in that same house probably cares about their kid watching, and believe me, 90% of tv/movie have content far more risque', even on broadcast tv

not all game players are kids anyway, the ratio is about over 16 60/40 less than 15 these days, it's actually easy for a 12 year to walk into Wal-Mart and get Blazing Saddles, Hellraiser & 50 Shades of Grey check out and not be questioned, but very difficult for that same 12 year old kid to walk into the same Wal-Mart and get L.A. Noir, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna

so why is there so much Donkey He-Hawing ???, at least retail companies are trying to help keep the games under wraps, but i never heard any God No !!! when their 14 year old is watching Deadpool (1), I mean, violence, language, drug references and gore aside, the sex scenes were pretty steamy, I mean seriously...a "Strap-on" ??? & I found a REALLY fun use for toy vampire teeth

Please mind your language - Octane

Edited on by Nemodius

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

link3710

@NEStalgia There's also the people like myself who find brutally hard games more relaxing than easier ones. It's just a great way to blow off steam. I mean, there's a point where it's not worth it (I never finished Grimm in Hollow Knight for example), but it also helps that I find most games utterly lacking in any sort of challenge. Doom for example, all my deaths have been from falling into bottomless pits while looking for secret areas. The combat itself has yet to provide a challenge.

link3710

Nemodius

@Octane
oops, no prob bro, will edit it now

"If failure is the greatest teacher, how come we are not the most superior beings in the universe ???"

Grumblevolcano

Most of my DOOM deaths so far have been in the first hell level and rune trials.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Nemodius

@Grumblevolcano
I've hit a dead zone in DOOM in the third or forth lvl where for the life of me I cannot find how to continue

death for me came from being lost, a far more frustrating death, if you die physically, at least you can reload, get lost and that's it, I've tried using walkthroughs, but can't seem to find my way out

Edited on by Nemodius

IceClimbers

US eShop chart update: Super Mario Party is #1, Mega Man 11 is #3, Dragon Ball FighterZ is #5, VC4 is #16, FIFA 19 is #18, and South Park Stick of Truth is #21.

Not bad at all. I think FighterZ will have some decent legs to it, better than some of the upcoming October releases like Warriors Orochi 4 or Lego DC Supervillains.

Edited on by IceClimbers

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TuVictus

So I'm very much enjoying super Mario party. It's seems to actively work against me at times, but I don't mind it. It's been a while since I'd had so much fun with a Mario party

TuVictus

EvilLucario

@link3710 When I first played Doom 2016 I played on Ultra Violence so I died a few times. Higher difficulties are indeed more challenging and you'll die more often there. Hurt Me Plenty is much more manageable though.

@NEStalgia Some games make for amazing streaming material that is very fun to watch. Dark Souls 1 is very funny to watch as you get to see how someone tackles a boss and which one they kill in one try or which one throws up a brick wall, or what type of playstyle they use. Games that use procedural generation are also mighty fine candidates.

And of course it's all about the personality too. Most people gravitate to these guys because the guy playing a game has a personality that ticks with the viewers.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Dark Souls, I find it annoying that the people that make walkthrough videos and guides keep going on about how "easy" this boss or that one is, when the bosses or enemies are not in fact very easy. On the other hand, it's hilarious when they are going on about how easy an enemy type is (such as black knights), only to get killed by that 'easy' enemy or enemy group sixteen times in a row.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic