Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,401 to 33,420 of 69,991

diwdiws

@EvilLucario i think the perception of difficulty is precisely because of those windows pf opportunity since you will definitely die a lot first before you memorise those moments. So those playing souls games for the first time may be frustrated that they are going to a meat grinder multiple times until they give up or it clicks and suddenly the whole game is the greatest ever

Edited on by diwdiws

diwdiws

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish Nice, I might need to pucker down some cash for Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate or World then. But at the moment I'm afraid of having a big time sink game because I have such a big backlog of games I want to finish first before I get into Monster Hunter. I'm sure it's a series I'll enjoy immensely though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@Cobalt
I have an Analogy for you.
I played Portal Knights at the FIRST Time on PS4 version on June 2017.
It was 60 fps.
I played Portal Knights AGAIN on Nintendo Switch on 25 December 2017.
It was 30 fps and some downgrades.
But, i still like the Nintendo Switch version than PS4 version despite of weaker performance.
Who said people cannot enjoy the games on Switch version when the PS4 / PC version was actually stronger than Switch ?
Who the heck cares if the Switch version is weaker but still playable ??

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

From what I've played so far it really depends on what you wanted out of DOOM 2016 whether @Cobalt's comments about Switch being unplayable if you play any of the other versions.

I bought it because it seemed like a fun fast paced FPS game and it delivers that even on Switch. If you were getting it for horror/gore reasons then sure Switch doesn't deliver because the graphics downgrade reduces the tone, I felt the tone has been very tame compared to the Simon Belmont reveal for Smash Ultimate.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

@Grumblevolcano Personally I think Doom on Switch is perfectly playable, and I have the best version with the best framerate (144fps is indeed noticeably better than 60fps) and controls! But gyro controls and portability are very compelling reasons to pick the Switch version over the PS4/Xbox versions. On the flip side, higher resolutions and framerate are more compelling reasons to get them... but in which case if you wanted that, you should go with PC.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@EvilLucario Like I said it comes down to what you want out of it, I bought it for the fast paced FPS action and I was not disappointed (also glad I picked Switch over XB1 for portability and gyro reasons). People wanting it for other reasons may be disappointed with the Switch version.

Though I do hope one of these days Microsoft and Sony support gyro more. I'd still pick the Switch version of DOOM because portability but I think Halo, Gears, etc. would benefit from gyro as an option.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

@Grumblevolcano Microsoft and Sony officially pitching in and allowing gyro controls for FPS games would be a major leap forward and would finally help legitimize motion controls with much more people, allowing motion controls to be much more enhanced than it is now as more people would come around to motion controls, leading to more funding and R&D for improving it. Splatoon was a great start for that, but if Microsoft and Sony jumped in, that would be fantastic.

Gyro controls should be a standard tbh. Although there are other standards Nintendo should also copy like dedicated control configurations. It would be fantastic if I could customize my Joy-Con/Pro Controller's firmware directly to remap buttons to wherever I want. If I could move something like Y to X for BotW (so jump is easier to press and attacking is just like in Bayonetta), that would make the game even better for me.

MeatSauce

I’ve noticed in the last week or so a bunch of my games are randomly crashing which has never happened before on my Switch but I noticed this on Dead Cells,Lumines,Sega Ages Sonic and others.

Edited on by MeatSauce

MeatSauce

Haruki_NLI

Yeah live on stream Use Your Words not only crashed but later flat out glitched out.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@FragRed i really don't get this current "hard for the sake of hard" fad. Regular life is stressful enough with enough stupid repeating of things you've already done. I don't need my video games to emulate government bureaucracies (unless I'm playing Tropico ). I'm not sure who has the time to put into repeating the same level over and over until they perfect it. Back in the day there was no choice. We owned a dozen games and they had to last us years. But now with so many games to pick from I'm not sure why sadism isa popular genre suddenly. Not at all.

Though I'll gladly give mm a pass on that since it really is one of the originals that had no choice but to be like that due to storage and memory...... So it has a right to do it the way it always did it. Forms make it great for newcomers though.

@JaxonH yeah, I gathered that, and i somehow never played mm before and didn't know it was famous for difficulty at all. Maybe copying nes design wasnt wise fora new audience, but i at least understand why they did.

@EvilLucario anything involving memorizing anything will never work for me..... Memorizing is not how my brain functions, unfortunately. I thrive on analysis and deductive reasoning..... Memorizing, i could stare at it fora month and still not know it an hour late. But yeah, being familiar with block mans level made it much easier. Interesting I'm finding the game significantly easier on the tv with pro controller. I was doing handheld before. It's not just the real dpad. Everything on screen seems clearer.

NEStalgia

FaeKnight

@NEStalgia the "hard for the sake of being hard" thing I believe is a general backlash from how games for years had been getting progressively easier until they became impossible to fail. I don't know about you, but if a game is 100% impossible to fail I tend to lose interest in it after a while. Lego games are fun for a while, but become boring due to the lack of a real challenge. Meanwhile Dark Souls is punishingly hard to the point I get frustrated, but at the same time I'm actually enjoying my time playing it because I have to work for victory. Yeah I cuss at the TV every time I die with a large amount of Souls then die again while trying to recover my souls. But it feels good to have to work for my progress.

Sure any given boss in Hollow Knight (and some rooms) can get me howling in frustration. Been struggling against the Hornet rematch for several days now, for example. But I keep going back to the game precisely because the game is hard and makes me work for every little advance I make.

Meanwhile Prey (original, not the more recent game) is a good game, but I haven't gone back to it in years because death isn't even an inconvenience. And while I love the Bioshock games, I feel no inclination to buy Bioshock 2 and Infinite since I've already beaten each with every ending. And while they're fun games, there's no real challenge since if you die you start back almost (if not exactly) where you were before you died.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

darkfenrir

Tbh I wish the difficulty will just be easier than what we got (or at least, give us options to make it easier or harder... idk)

I enjoy game that isn't too braindead easy but not crazy hard? Like just give me something enjoyable rather than frustration or boredom it's hard to balance though

darkfenrir

gcunit

Just depends on the gameplay for me. I've not got much interest in learning Mega Man, but trying over and over to get 100 golds in each Runner 3 level really turns me on.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

1UP_MARIO

Anti-Matter wrote:

@Cobalt
I have an Analogy for you.
I played Portal Knights at the FIRST Time on PS4 version on June 2017.
It was 60 fps.
I played Portal Knights AGAIN on Nintendo Switch on 25 December 2017.
It was 30 fps and some downgrades.
But, i still like the Nintendo Switch version than PS4 version despite of weaker performance.
Who said people cannot enjoy the games on Switch version when the PS4 / PC version was actually stronger than Switch ?
Who the heck cares if the Switch version is weaker but still playable ??

@Anti-Matter do you like the switch version of portal knights because it’s 30 fps and portable or because Sony is 60 fps and is evil company. Nintendo is angel company, they can do no wrong

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Steam supporting full gyro on any compatible controllers (like Switch Pro and DS4, for example) is one of the big reasons I'll never play a non-exclusive shooter on consoles again. With gyro aiming in addition to the resolution and FPS boost, the PC version of DOOM (via Steam) is far and away the best version of the game.

Switch is second, since it's fully portable and also supports gyro.

And I hate how the term "unplayable" is used for sub-optimal gaming experiences. If someone can't get past the limitations of DOOM on Switch, then I... don't agree, but can accept that. But it's far from unplayable.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

link3710

Cobalt wrote:

@JaxonH

It's insane how you transform things into something else...

I repeat : " IF you have previously play DOOM at 1080p/60FPS constant THEN you cannot enjoy the Switch version, impossible but really the difference in terms of feeling, reativity and even visually, it's just night and day..."

Now, about Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Monster Hunter World etc... runs perfectly at 60FPS on PC ? So, what's the problem for the player who wants to experience these games at their best ? There is no problem, they just buy the PC version... And don't forget that the next generation of consoles are ready to be launched next year, they're gonna run games at minimum 1080p/60fps... ^^

I've played DOOM at 1440p / 120 fps, and I still prefer the portability to the graphics. That's why I'm finishing the game on Switch.

link3710

FragRed

I have come to realise that as I’m getting older, and I’m only 33, I just can’t play hard games like I used to be able to. That also goes for retro games which once upon a time I’d have no trouble completing, but not so much nowadays. I have to be careful about what I spend my money on as I’ve bought a few games thinking they’d be something I could play through, like Hollow Knight, only to find they’re too hard for me.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Can you send a configuration for fine-tuning gyro on Steam? With my Pro Controller, it never feels right and the gyro just goes out of sync CONSTANTLY.

@subpopz

> not as memory intensive as Mario 3

Shame about the sprite flickering in Mega Man 2 and 3 though :^]

But yeah I agree with the hard difficulty part myself. But personally I also love easy games too. I'll play pretty much anything as long as it's not a RTS.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic