Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,221 to 26,240 of 70,032

darkfenrir

@EvilLucario Same, the retail release for me will be Octopath Traveler, then Shinine Resonance: Refrain... And then whenever The World Ends With You Final Remix is out, I'll be there I'm hoping they'll ninja release it sometime soon, but with the 0 words I have doubts :/

For indie, I'm not sure if I want to double dip on West of Loathing, and then still waiting for Hollow Knight as well... Not sure about Bloodstained, it looks interesting and the music's great, but I'm not... exactly good in platformers kind of game lol.

(Also Okami is Summer too!! Golly, why is 3 games Summer >:[ )

darkfenrir

Grumblevolcano

Well with Wii U vs. Switch, it's essentially VC vs. 3rd parties. The 3rd party support on Wii U was poor but you had access to lots of classic Nintendo games, for Switch it's basically the complete opposite.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Amazingly enough, that's less true than you'd think. Mostly mentioning this cause I crunched WAY too many numbers for my earlier post, but the Wii U received 311 VC titles in NA, 300 in EU. So far, we've received 50 ACA titles so far, about a sixth of the output of the Wii U over the course of the past five to six years. So we're actually surprisingly on track, who'd have thunk?

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 By VC I'm not talking about NEOGEO, I'm talking Nintendo consoles and Nintendo Arcade so currently for Switch there's only 3 (Mario Bros., VS Super Mario Bros. and Punch Out!!) with 8 more confirmed for the future.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

@shadow-wolf
As you admitted, you didn't own a Wii U until 2015. For those of us that had it from launch in 2012... it was painful, dude. Painful.

The Switch's release schedule, even during these recent few months, is a gazillion times better. No, take gazillion and times it by gazillion.

Seriously, though. It's night and day, and you seem like a nice and intelligent guy, so you know it's bonkers to compare console release schedules at entirely different points in their life cycles. You can do a fair comparison of 2015 Wii U schedule vs. Switch 2020.

See you in two years!

(Wii U was an awesome system, but nowhere near SNES or PS2 or even 360, in my opinion.)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

shadow-wolf

@ieatdragonz I understand. And I agree about the droughts - taking everything into account, for sure there hasn't been a drought as severe as on the Wii U in its early years on the Switch. And I also honestly think that the Switch will become my favorite console ever as well. We'll see when it comes, but it certainly seems on track to surpass the Wii U in my opinion.

@rallydefault I was actually comparing this last few months of Switch to roughly around 2013 for Wii U. But again, I misjudged just how spaced out the games were in 2013, although it seemed many fairly good games did come out that year (Rayman, Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3). But regardless, I think it's safe to say all things considered that Nintendo is doing a much better job of managing the Switch than they did with Wii U in terms of avoiding droughts.

@Grumblevolcano You make a good point. Many people don't seem to count VC titles since they're old, whereas indies are counted because they are fairly new. That being said, I think I heard Nintendo drip-fed the VC on Wii U, and having most of the VC already on Wii meant that the VC wasn't exactly a bargaining chip for the Wii U.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

OorWullie

@link3710 I think there are around 70 ACA titles by now,61 Neo Geo and 10 Arcade Archives. Plus there are the 7 Psikyo games with another due next week.

By next week there will be 81 classic titles on Switch, of which the vast majority of folk have never played before . We have

1v1 fighters
Beat-em-ups
Shoot-em-ups
Puzzlers
Platformers
Sports games

The vast majority of which all have better graphics than any game from the 8/16bit era. There are online leaderboards, various customisation options,the ability to Switch between English and Japanese versions of the game. TATE mode for games that support it. The only thing they're missing is online play.

I understand why folk want VC, I do too but for me there's very little Nintendo could do that will top what we already have. If Sega, Capcom, Konami and Taito get on board and start releasing some of their arcade classics then along with the Classic Game Collection that will be part of the online service the Switch will have the best selection of retro games of any console bar none.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Peek-a-boo

@OorWullie On the subject of Neo Geo games, I have got £6.01 worth of wallet up and 28p worth of gold coins, which is - rather pleasingly - exactly £6.29!

Which of the 61 Neo Geo games would you recommend? I am willing to buy anything, whether it is a puzzle game, a beat ‘em up or an old fashioned 2D platformer.

Peek-a-boo

OorWullie

@Peek-a-boo Hmmm that's a tricky one, let me break it down.

For Beat-em-ups the best one is Sengoku 3 which just released this week. It has very nice graphics and smooth animation and there are quite a few moves, more than usual for this kind of game . It's challenging and lots of fun to play but if I have one criticism, it's the lack of variety in enemies.

For 1v1 fighters, I only have 2 at the moment,Garou and KoF98, both are great. I intend to buy Last Blade and Samurai Shodown II, the latter I had on Wii VC and it's an amazing fighter with a lot of depth.

For puzzle games, I think there are only 3,Puzzled and Magical Drop 2&3. MD3 is definitely the best of the bunch but it's not really my thing.

For platformers there are only 3 as well, Blues Journey is the only one that can really be classed as a traditional platformer. Spinmaster and Top Hunter are more action platformers but both are very fun and look great. My pick would be Top Hunter, it has the most variety.

There are a few ports games and without a doubt Neo Turf Masters is the best of the bunch.

For shoot-em-ups you're spoiled for choice. This is one of my favourite genres and I own every one of them on Switch. It's hard to pick a favourite from the Neo Geo ones, Pulstar is amazing if you're willing to spend some time with it and learn the enemy patterns and scoring, Aero Fighters 2 is great fun and definitely the most accessible, Blazing Star is also amazing.

Of the shoot-em-ups though I definitely prefer the Psikyo ones. These are priced the same as the Hamster releases. Tengai which released this week is my new favourite of the bunch. It's got everything, brilliant graphics, amazing soundtrack, fair challenge that can be customised, great selection of characters, superb looking bosses and wide screen mode. Incredible game and worth every penny and more. Psikyo have also released several vertical (TATE) shooters, they're all brilliant but Strikers 1945 is my favourite of the bunch. Their best vertical shooter according to many, Dragon Blaze releases next week. Zero Gunner 2 is also really good, it plays different from the rest and isn't too challenging,looks very nice too.

If I was to make just 1 recommendation on which you should spend your £6.29 though, it has to be Tengai aka Sengoku Blade 2.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Grumblevolcano

For me the only way Switch will have a better retro collection than Wii U is if Nintendo properly delves into the N64, GC and Wii library in addition to releasing what they already released on Wii U. Given how strong the indie support is on Switch, I don't expect that to happen anytime soon if at all.

Grumblevolcano

Spoony_Tech

@Grumblevolcano I would be happy with only 2 games, Sunshine and if Microsoft somehow allowed Blast Corps to come out. That would be all I need from VC. I would also say Luigi's Mansion but I'm not even going there.....

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

-Green-

So any guesses as to what this site will do for its April Fools prank. Smash? Metroid perhaps?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

ieatdragonz

@Grumblevolcano I always thought it would be very smart for Nintendo to make two whole separate tabs for their Switch "virtual console". One for the actual selection and one for the best sellers. The search should also be different to the main eshop's, with console selection first then a search.

Knowing Nintendo, this isn't going to happen and the best sellers will be crowded with old titles (I mean just look at Vs Super Mario Bros). But they have said they want to improve visibilty, so hopefully they have the sense to improve it then not immediately ruin it.

Edited on by ieatdragonz

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Anti-Matter

@-Green-
Psst...
ARMS for 3DS, Splatoon 2 for 3DS, Mario Kart 7 Deluxe for Switch, Miitopia 2 for Switch, Animal Crossing Builder for Switch.
100% LOL Fake.

Anti-Matter

Luna_110

I want Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in the VC so badly... It was a brilliant game, but I never defeated the final boss since I was underleveled, and she beat me every single time.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Grumblevolcano

For me the main ones I'd want for VC from N64, GC and Wii on Switch are Ike's Fire Emblem games, Xenoblade Chronicles (X will almost certainly get a Switch port so getting the whole series on Switch would be nice), F-Zero GX and Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Grumblevolcano

JaxonH

Wii U has the most appealing VC library of any Nintendo console to date. And even Switch will never rival it. That's one thing the U will always have over the Switch. Buuuut... my perception is also skewed by the fact I can play GameCube on Wii U thanks to a 20 min vWii softmod. Which means NES, SNES, N64, GBA, GC, Wii and Wii U games all accessible on one system. All in HD. With full wireless Pro controller.

Wii actually had a lot of VC titles, but they were SD and had to be played with a controller tethered to a Wiimote with a 3ft wire. I balk every time I hear someone say Wii had a better VC lineup because, what good are the games if the quality of enjoying them is handicapped?

This is why GPD Win 2 is such a Godsend. Get that portable N64, GameCube and Wii. It's time. It's been time.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Late

@JaxonH The games look nicer on Wii U for sure but I'd still say Wii had a better selection. Wii U never got Master System, Genesis/Mega Drive, Neo Geo, Commodore 64 and arcade games. GBA, DS and Wii (not technically VC but whatever) games were great additions, though. It's easy to say Wii versions look worse but I think that's besides the point. Would you rather play a game and enjoy it or not play it at all? And I don't see why Switch would never be able to get better VC.

I'm personally not even that interested in the VC right now. I mostly skipped VC on Wii U because I had most of the games I wanted on Wii or other consoles already. I loved 3DS VC because you couldn't get GB/GBC games on Wii VC. If they want me to buy a lot of VC games again, they need to bring back Sega consoles and add Saturn and Dreamcast. And maybe some other consoles like GameCube, Neo-Geo Pocket and WonderSwan. I'd buy Virtual Boy and N-Gage games as well.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic