Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,241 to 26,260 of 69,964

JaxonH

@Late
I'd rather take 50 HD VC games with a proper wireless controller than 100 SD VC games with the tethered Wii Pro Controller. So it's not that I'd rather play them than not, it's that I'd rather enjoy half as many with 100% enjoyment than twice as many with 50% enjoyment. Most of those consoles I don't care about anyways- only Genesis. But GBA is far more appealing to me than Genesis.

I don't think Switch is getting VC. It'll get a small selection of "Online Classics" from NES... nothing more. It'll be nearly two years into its lifespan before we even start getting those. By the time they trickle them out it'll be 4-5 years into its lifespan. VC is a relic of the past. They'll likely release compilation cartridges, if anything. It's clear with the NES and SNES Mini they're looking for alternate means of capitalizing on the back catalog without monopolizing the sales charts and snuffing out the indie and even middle market.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

Yeah people said I was paranoid when I told them VC isnt here yet because it would smother the market, indies and even bigger games alike.

Look at Vs. Super Mario Bros. Look at where it has been in the charts since launch.

Look at it's price.

Look at the 3DS charts.

You tell me that Mario World and ALTTP wont be sat on there for life.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

Seems to me they want to do something else with VC. VC is most likely dead in name, but that paid online service might show a different spin on things.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NaviAndMii

I've often wondered whether having separate charts for 'eShop' and 'Virtual Console' could help? ..I'm sure that raw sales of third-party games would be impacted by VC whatever they did, but at least the regular eShop titles could continue to get the same platform that they're currently getting - would be interested to hear peoples' thoughts

(..just theoretically - like @EvilLucario, I doubt we'll ever see Virtual Console return in its current form)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Late

@JaxonH I guess it's just different tastes. I can enjoy games just as much regardless of their resolution. I bought NES VC on 3DS instead of Wii U because I prefer handhelds. I also never bothered to get a Wii U Pro Controller since I had my perfectly functional Wiimotes. I'm not getting the Switch Pro Controller either.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

JaxonH

@Late
I can stomach it better on 3DS being a smaller screen but... I've been playing games for nearly 30 years and, I'm just to a point where I expect HD. I've spent enough decades in SD.

Actually prefer split joycons over the Pro controller, but it's still the fact it's 100% wireless, full button set, and way more ergonomic than Wiimote/Nunchuck which forces analog.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Syndrome

Digital Extreme's devs recently spoke of the possibility of a Warframe Switch port. Here's what they got to say: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/939200/Warfram...
Still the usual response(looking into it but no current plans) but the fact they discussed about it gives me some hope. Warframe on the Switch would be really huge, plus it fills a spot on a genre that is severely lacking( or doesn't exist at all) in the Switch library right now.

Edited on by Syndrome

Syndrome

bluemage1989

I really enjoy playing the classics on original hardware myself but I did buy most of my collection again on WiiU VC just for how easy it makes things. The WiiU still gets use in our home as a VC/Wii/party game console. I have said before and I will say again that Nintendo will go the route of themed compilation cartridges to keep the eshop more viable for indies while still offering retro gaming for those who want it. In fact I think this E3 will see the first announcements of this with Mother 1 2 3 compilation amongst others!!

bluemage1989

antster1983

The Chicken Wiggle Workshop Kickstarter has reached its target with days to spare! 🐣

antster1983

Switch Friend Code: SW-7169-0993-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: antster1983 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

So somebody purposely fed Marcus Sellars fake info on Smash Bros to try to expose him... and sure enough, Marcus posted it as his own leak.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

@IceClimbers Hahaha. Isn't that social media entrapment?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

Yeah people said I was paranoid when I told them VC isnt here yet because it would smother the market, indies and even bigger games alike. You tell me that Mario World and ALTTP wont be sat on there for life.

I don't think it's paranoia because VC games would definitely move. My question is more a question of why Nintendo would be even slightly concerned about it. Yes there is a visibility problem on the eShop and more games, VC or otherwise, is only going to make this worse. But no company is going to avoid doing something because it'll make them too much money.....

shadow-wolf wrote:

yeah there's no sugar-coating it - ignoring ports, the Switch lineup is not only terrible, but just as bad as (if not worse) than the Wii U droughts that everyone always brings up when disparaging the Wii U. Only difference is, Switch is relying on Wii U ports to fill in gaps, while Wii U only relied on its own games (besides Wind Waker HD).

I disagree. The period most people refer to with the Wii U is 2013 and in particular that space between January and August. As someone who owned the console at the time and brought 21 games? I got two full retail games for Wii U between January and August 2013 (Need for Speed & Pikmin). I've already got two on Switch so far this year (Bayonetta & Splatoon) and we're less than half way to August. New or otherwise there isn't the same struggle to find games worth getting on Switch as there was for Wii U.

To be a little bit less subjective, here is a list of retail Switch games releasing between January and the end of May. This is based on what is currently being advertised by one of my local retailers.

• Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
  • Dark Souls Remastered
  • Tennis World Tour
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive edition
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
  • Attack on Titan 2
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Scribblenauts Showdown
  • Payday 2
  • Monster Energy Supercross
  • Dragon Quest Builders

Now here is the same list from the same retailer for the same period of the year but in 2013 for Wii U. Found by using the internet archive. This is what most people would have seen when they walked through the Wii U section during the peak of the Wii U drought:

• Lego City Undercover
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted U
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us
  • Resident Evil: Revelations

I know which selection of games I'd rather see sitting on a shelf for a system.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@skywake Agreed, plus that Switch list is missing a few titles which only reinforces that point.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

Quick observation. During the Wii era Nintendo used to regularly advertise during the AFL (Australian rules footy). To the point where they had a Wii seven plays of the week thing with animated miis that ran during half time. During the Wii U era? Nothing, not even for 3DS. Same last year from memory. But the new season has just started and I'm seeing a lot of ads for Switch.

What a difference a few years can make

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

FragRed

I already have Okami HD on the Xbox One. Without a physical Switch release, I’m inclined to double dip. Maybe if it goes real cheap in a digital sale I’ll think about it.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

Okami HD does look good.

Capcom has been doing right with their Switch releases. Practically all of them have had motion controls or touch or HD Rumble or gesture controls. Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 and Okami HD are the real showcase games though.

Haruki_NLI

JaxonH wrote:

Capcom has been doing right with their Switch releases.

With regards to using features of the hardware yes.

Come talk to us when I can buy certain games on a cart here.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

EvilLucario

Don't know if this has been said multiple times in this thread, but if you want to always find ways to save money on your games, there's one good general place all wrapped up in one neat package:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitchDeals/

The downsides are that you don't get to take advantage of GCU all the time and it may not always work depending on what region you live in, but it's very useful to take a look at any discount you may find that can potentially beat out other options you normally rely on.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@YummyHappyPills
You can forever stay ticked off things aren't exactly how you want them...

Or you can move on and just accept it. I'm done caring about physical releases. There is nothing I can do in my power to change anything anyways, so I'll buy what comes to retail as a retail purchase and whatever doesn't I will buy as a digital purchase. No sense getting upset over something I have no control over.

Besides, at the end of the day I almost appreciate it when I game doesn't get a physical release now. Because then I don't have to buy the game twice. Buy once digitally and enjoy the benefits of having the game everywhere I go.

In fact, I've been thinking about selling my physical game collection. Would have less compulsion to buy so many games, and could instead just focus on buying the ones I really want to play... digitally.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic