Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,141 to 20,160 of 22,228

KirbyTheVampire

I don't see why Nintendo has to develop mature games. Don't we get more than enough of that from third parties?

KirbyTheVampire

Spoony_Tech

I would like another Eternal Darkness. It was mature but not overly mature. To me Metroid Prime is mature enough from Nintendo.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Caldorosso-E

@Scrummer Checking now, yes. I forgot it was rated so low... Violence, Gore, Language, Sexual Themes, Alcohol.

But Mature does not a good game make. I still enjoy Kirby games and I'm a freakin' adult.

Edited on by Caldorosso-E

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM
-Verified Cheese Aficionado and Abecedarian Author-

Scrummer

@Hieronymus-E Yes. I also hate when people think that, in order to be mature, a game must have a mature rating.

Scrummer

DarthNocturnal

Phhhht. Many Mature rated games are the most immature around. It's about what YOUR mind should be, not the game's world.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

3DS Friend Code: 0430-8422-1116

Inertiacreep

@BLP_Software your opinion on the switch is like you're trying to decide you buy one but you already did... either you like it or you don't stop complaining about the power.. I'm a pc gamer, haven't bought a console since ps2 because of "power"
... the switch is going to have amazing games and is beyond impressive for it's size.. i bought it to play docked and do you hear me crying about graphics? If i want graphics ill play pc... the switch has awesome graphics but this thing is about the GAMES... the switch is huge in Japan and will have amazing jrpgs ..... stop crying.

Inertiacreep

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Moonlighter - Nintendo Switch Announcement Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1yrVPSvl1s

Moonlighter is an Action RPG with rogue-lite elements that demonstrates two sides of the coin – revealing everyday routines of Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that secretly dreams of becoming a hero.

Moonlighter is developed by Digital Sun Games and published by 11 bit studios.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo UK put out a trailer earlier for Vostok Inc. It doesn't show anything new that wasn't already revealed here. I thought the 80's cheesy trailer was good.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/vostok_inc_a_twin-st...

Vostok Inc. - Trailer (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OES7_wkjWOs

I guess the only thing new is the release date, Holiday 2017 according to the developer and Winter 2017 according to Nintendo.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

YummyHappyPills

@Inertiacreep I dont insult you for your opinion do I?

It will have great games. I do enjoy the Switch. But as it stands my opinion is conglicted because a lot of the wow and enjoyment for me came from concept not the actual games. If I take a fair amount of the games just as the software they isolated from the portable bubble, its...there. its ok.

And I dont care about graphics. But some people do. Those considerations are for this thing called "Other peoples needs". But sadly, as a system right now Im not getting the full experience.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

NEStalgia

@BLP_Software There's plenty of value in it if you're interested only in portable but want types of games that previously weren't available portable. Less value if you only want a home console, assuming the fact that the majority of its games are exclusive, and the exclusive games don't interest you is true.

But lets be fair. For months you were kind of negative on Playstation, Playstation games, "The Naughty Dog Camera(TM)" and seemed like you were all into Switch and its games. Now you're down on Switch and its games and that it's not valuable if you're not using both home and portable.

It sounds to me like you're just getting kind of bored and jaded with gaming in general and probably need a break from it.

NEStalgia

link3710

@KirbyTheVampire I think the main reason people want M rated games from Nintendo is that it's very rare to see an M rated game that lives up to the standards Nintendo (typically) sets for it's games. As other people have mentioned, Geist and Eternal Darkness, the two M rated gamecube games they published, offer a very different experience compared to most M rated games, focusing on haunting experiences over raw blood and gore. I'd love to see another Geist personally, developed in-house if possible, considering the originally really needed some gameplay refinements as it was. (Although Super Mario Odyssey is basically the spiritual successor to the best parts of Geist's gameplay, pun fully intended.) Eternal Darkness on the other hand, I've never secured a copy of, but from what I hear it's quite different from most horror games on the market as well.

link3710

YummyHappyPills

@NEStalgia Hindsight is 20:20. And I appreciate, as stated, that people who like the portability or older games for portability, will be very, very happy. I would lie if I said DOOM is tempting and on my Xmas list.

The hang up is, I feel like I am buying games because of the hardware, not because they are inherently good games. That's my main hang up. I'm not buying DOOM again, because it's freaking DOOM, it's because it's portable. I didn't buy any 3D Zelda before BOTW, but I did because it looked mildly interesting for once, and it was portable.

It's weird, but I think FIFA is what really sold this issue to me: We can sell you a game just on the basis its portable, not on the merits of the game itself. And that's...yeah I'm not fond of that.

And I still am down on PlayStation, mostly ffor discarding most of the franchises they had that made the PS1 and PS2 such hits for me (That'll do it for anyone, if you lose what made you like it!).

Value is entirely subjective. Worth is not. The system is evidently £280 worth, as that's the price people are willing and able to pay. It's value however, is down to you. This is also true in reverse, an object can be very valuable to you but not be worth much in reality.

So it's value, to me, comes from being able to utilise the full product. The Switch's full product is that of both worlds. This isn't necessarily the fault of the Switch (Because after all it is myself who has no reason to you know, leave the house at all!), but it's also one of those things where "Anywhere, Anytime, with Anyone", is dependant entirely on you. As I am, no, it doesn't have that inherent value. It did, when I had friends around and went out a lot, but not now.

And buddy, I am jaded with gaming. I spent £9000 a year and 3 years of my life on a degree in Game Design. Know what it was? 3D Animation and Modelling, Making Websites, 12 page + design documentation covering story and visuals first with a paragraph on gameplay maybe 8 pages in, and advice on how to carve up your game for DLC and microtransactions. Oh, and we weren't allowed to work in 2D or make platformers.

Notice something? This is the Western approach to it. How to make a product. The EA way, the Sony way (The university is Sony partnered and gets all the dev stuff). Not making games, but products. And like Jordan Amaro said in his Splatoon 2 interview, there is no actual wrong way to make games, just the right way for you. The way I do it by instinct is how he described it in the interview.

How was that viewed at university? As wrong. Marked down. Told its wrong. My enthusiasm for this industry did pretty much melt over 3 years until I saw that interview and realised what a huge pile of BS it was. My enthusiasm for gaming is coming back, but through my mental illnesses and bad experiences brought on by that "Game Design" experience, it leaves you looking at everything like its just a product. Early on, I saw the passion in the games. It's why I was excited.

Now? It's depressing. It really is. My opinion on Switch will change over time, depending on games and how it evolves of course, but right now, while fun, it's not yet great. Just...good.

And remember, on a 10 point scale, good is 6-7.

Operative2-0

Let people have their opinions, good and bad! Switch is not nearly as perfect as people make it out to be, and that's okay. The criticisms need to be heard just as much as the praise. And if it the appeal wears off for someone after less than a year, I think it's important to look at why, and see if it can happen to others. Whether people agree or not is irrelevant.

Not directed at you, @BLP_Software, but rather the people who find it offensive that you (and others) aren't a walking billboard that sounds like you're paid a check by Nintendo for every positive word you use for it.

Edited on by Operative2-0

Operative2-0

Octane

BLP_Software wrote:

And I still am down on PlayStation, mostly ffor discarding most of the franchises they had that made the PS1 and PS2 such hits for me (That'll do it for anyone, if you lose what made you like it!).

Judge the system for what it is, not for what it isn't... wait, I've heard that before

Octane

YummyHappyPills

@Operative2-0 To be fair I'm working on keeping my interests and things I like on the low down. People in my Game Dev Network find my "Endless Nintendo Positivity" (Yes, really) irritating, and ask why I keep sharing and talking about games no one cares about.

No one from here should go there XD Ever.

Ralizah

A game console will rise or fall on its library. It can have the best library and concept in the world, but if the games don't resonate with you, then it doesn't even matter.

Let people have their opinions, and we can have ours. I certainly make it known when I'm not enjoying a game or system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

YummyHappyPills

@Octane What PS4 is: A game console that has none of what I loved about past systems.

Well let's be real. What it is, is not interesting to me. And part of that is in fact, because of what was discarded. If I view it in isolation like I do most things? Well...

It's a perfectly fine console. Capable, CPU aside, and crap controllers aside, and ignoring the online fee, but a lot of the games are...not in my line of taste. The wider library, while as large as other systems at this time, isn't aiming at me, at all. It's a perfectly fine system, hampered by the above issues, and by not being aimed at me, despite past consoles doing so.

And no, Knack doesn't count.

Operative2-0

@BLP_Software Haha, I get you. As someone that is often on an opposing viewpoint on many things on this forum, I know how it is to be seen as the negative nancy, the buzzkill or the killjoy. It sucks, but it also at least encourages discussion like your post above. Of course, your college doesn't seem to offer much discussion either way, but at least we know not everyone thinks like your university. Yet, at least.

Operative2-0

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 I mean, some people are relentlessly negative, and obnoxiously loud about it. That's not the same thing as sharing feelings of discontent or disappointment in something in a constructive manner.

I make it known when I don't like something, but I don't belabor the point constantly and try to drag other people down to my level of misery.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

YummyHappyPills

@Operative2-0 They were all very...anti-Nintendo there (They said the GBA should count towards GameBoy sales, and other quite asinine things!) and the other students were...well lets say all too willing to just roll with it.

Whereas I have this instinctive, not even learnt but natural approach to game design that falls exactly in line with how Japanese development goes.

My real worry is this is what the next generation of developers are being taught, by people funded by companies like EA and Sony.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic