Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 20,121 to 20,140 of 69,962

TuVictus

Splatoon 2 is the same situation, unless you happen to find 3 or 7 other Switch players with the game while out and about.

TuVictus

MFD

@DarthNocturnal True, but let's take Overwatch for example. While you can still play Splatoon 2 offline, Overwatch doesn't have such a mode. You literally can't play the game if you don't have connection.

MFD

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

Doesn't need to beat the Xbox One X. It needs parity

As I said, as soon as they went with a mobile architecture that wasn't going to happen. They can get close and as tech improves they might even get really close. But as of 2017 they're not going to reach parity. In terms of absolute raw horsepower the fastest commercial ARM based SoC has about 70-80% of the power of the XBOne. The Switch when docked is about half again (and less still undocked but that's not a factor given it's only driving a 720p display in that mode). In a nutshell, a device that's portable that's about half as good as the XBOne is impressive even to people who aren't into Nintendo. A home console that is even 90% as powerful as the original XBOne? Not so much.

UmniKnight wrote:

Plus, there's other means of achieving that parity I'm talking about, like with that supplemental computing device, for example.

Well when you start doing stuff like that you're just adding extra complexity. Which is precisely what they've tried to avoid by not splitting themselves between portables and home consoles. With the Switch they've got a single platform and a single architecture across both portable and home console. Which means all of their games are all in one spot rather. As soon as you add something like an add-on processor you've split the audience again.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NaviAndMii

The addition of video capture is pretty nice I use the Joy-Con + Grip and, admittedly, the capture button is in a bit of an awkward position (..is it placed any better on the Pro?) ..but it's still great for making little clips that make you look better than you actually are!

I hope that they roll out the video functionality to cover all games soon - particularly for third-parties and indies ..I assume that each game would have to individually patch the functionality in to their game? - just hope that Nintendo allow them to do so!

NOTE: Not looking to promote my Twitter (it's basically just a photo/video dump for my Switch) just couldn't figure out how to copy a link to the video directly (no right click?) :/

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

MFD

@skywake Then what of the "Switch lite" people are predicting? Is that muddying the waters too?

MFD

TuVictus

@NaviAndMii No worries about linking your twiiter, I think, since you're doing so to contribute to the conversation At least, I certainly hope that's not against the rules, given the context.

I agree, too, I'm excited for when more games support capture capabilities. It's so fun

TuVictus

gcunit

Some of you seem to be talking about 'architecture' in a puzzling way.

Nintendo could make a more powerful system and that system still be Backwards-Compatible with Switch.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

gcunit

NaviAndMii wrote:

I hope that they roll out the video functionality to cover all games soon

Yeh - I scored a beauty of a goal playing FIFA in an online match yesterday. Instinctively held the capture button... then remembered only a few games are ready for that

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NaviAndMii

@Operative2-0 Yeah, I've just been playing around with it a bit in the last couple of days and wanted to share my thoughts I wondered whether 30secs might be a little too limiting, but it's actually perfect - and the ease of which you can cut and post them is just so convenient! ..it's great that my PS4 can record up to an hour of footage and all - but the editing suite is so clunky that I often find it to be more hassle than it's worth! ..the Switch's functionality is refreshingly simple - it just does exactly what you need it to do: watch > cut > review > post ..the only thing I wish is that I could record little clips on Stardew Valley etc - but, for a starting point, this is pretty great!

@gcunit Aww man, I know what you mean...I had a little 30 second dash around my farm in Stardew Valley so I could show it off in all its glory - held down the capture button - then remembered ..it'd just be perfect for quickly recording epic goals etc - hope it gets a wider/full roll-out eventually!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

skywake

UmniKnight wrote:

Then what of the "Switch lite" people are predicting? Is that muddying the waters too?

Well a Switch Lite, Pro, XL or whatever it may be isn't really the same thing. Those sort of revisions are either about making the device more efficient with new tech or giving a little bit more power. The New 3DS is still at its core a 3DS, it could happily live alongside the 3DS on shelves. At the other end of the spectrum....
Untitled

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MFD

@DarthNocturnal I guess they're assuming you play your game when you're connected and set. With an Xbox One/PS4/stationary console w/e you can expect that. With a Switch, you can't. It's hybrid concept is bringing intriguing problems to solve for games.

@skywake So what, you think that a "Switch Lite" would have more power than a Switch? I mean, if they give such a lite more battery life and make it a smidge smaller for portability, I can see that. But one can also argue that, if they can make a lite version with more focus on handheld, why not make a box version with more focus on power? The PS4 and the PS4 pro exist in unison, same with the Xbox One and Xbox One X, so why can't the Switch follow that route? I doubt you can't upgrade a Switch's internals in such a way that it becomes stronger.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Agriculture

skywake wrote:

UmniKnight wrote:

Then what of the "Switch lite" people are predicting? Is that muddying the waters too?

Well a Switch Lite, Pro, XL or whatever it may be isn't really the same thing. Those sort of revisions are either about making the device more efficient with new tech or giving a little bit more power. The New 3DS is still at its core a 3DS, it could happily live alongside the 3DS on shelves. At the other end of the spectrum....
Untitled

Simply adding support for an external hard drive would be half way to that picture. My hope is that they stick to what the current Switch has, and then in a few years they can make a Switch 2 with the Tegra Xavier that was backwards compatible with Switch.

Agriculture

MFD

@DarthNocturnal Hey, I get your point, but I'm none of these developers I'm merely bringing up what I'd THINK would be a point of concern for them.

MFD

StuTwo

@Therad I'm not sure RT is a reliable resource for anything . Nintendo will have much better focus group data and their own interpretations of it.

In any case I wouldn't dispute that smart phones and tablets are dominant amongst younger children today. There are many reasons for that. The wide variety of apps, low hardware costs and free to play games are big ones but not the only ones.

I just don't think they're unassailable in their position. To do so requires a company like Nintendo to take a hard look at themselves though. Is it just price or is it more?

Minecraft has only just appeared on 3ds - it's a revolutionary game in the way it encourages emergent gameplay and imagination. It is also pretty arcane and obscure (still to an extent). In many ways it's game design that stands as the polar opposite to the games Nintendo was putting out until Mario Maker, BoTW and Mario.

It was also on tablets years before it was on 3ds.

Likewise smartphone games have emphasised cosmetic customisation for years. Nintendo's games before Splatoon have been well known for giving you a fixed avatar and telling you 'that's you'.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo's games - great though they may have been - have not always understood what kids want. I think this is something that they've recognised and started to react to but it's only one part of the process.

Understanding what drives parents buying behaviour (including the differences between - say for instance - me and you) is equally important. As is hitting price points and having the right hardware and the right budget software.

They're not ready just yet to make Switch the console for kids because they don't have all of that lined up. It will come with time however - I'm certain of that.

Edited on by StuTwo

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Haruki_NLI

@UmniKnight @SLIGEACH_EIRE

I'm gonna agree with Slig here. Look at the Xbox One version of the game. 720p with issues. No reason it cant be 1080p. Same with PS4 Pro - 1080p, no improvements whatsoever.

Its a case of the consoles COULD do more, all of them could. They just aren't.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Megal0maniac

Anyone also really enjoying Super Beat Sports on Switch yet? It's from Harmonix who made their name with Rock Band, so it doesn't come as a suprise to me they released an excellent rhythm game. Can't wait to try it out multiplayer 2 to 4 people!

Bit weird there hasn't been any attention for the game on this site though, but it's bound to be hectic with all those new releases.

Edited on by Megal0maniac

Megal0maniac

MFD

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Then the question is, how much of each? A case of Sega needing to get to grips with it, or is this the best they can get out of Switch? I mean look at Odyssey, that looks crisp and really damn good (I know that Nintendo, course, has first-class access) compared to Forces. I wonder what makes the difference there.

MFD

Late

@Megal0maniac I'm aware of the game and that it came out recently but the art style in addition to the word "sports", makes me a bit cautious. I'm waiting for NL's review and other people's opinions to gather more info about the game. I'm all about rhythm games but I have so many other games to play now that I don't really need it at the moment.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic