Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,501 to 11,520 of 70,011

TuVictus

I guess technically can't people saw off the front panel and create a shorter version to hold it in place while still being able to display it on the TV? That thing is literally 90% plastic after all

TuVictus

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Ya, Rime and Puyo Puyo cost $10 more.

There's been a lot said about the reasoning behind this but let's be frank here- they said it's the cost that they look at when developing for each platform but what they failed to mention, more importantly, is the expected returns that they look at when developing for each platform. Nintendo has a history of third-party games selling less, even to the point of not making their investment back. If this is the price that must be paid for these games to come, then even though I don't like it (and I don't, trust me) I'll tolerate it.

When I got PSVR, I noticed all these 1-3 hour games selling for $20-40. And at first it felt like a rip off but then, I realized nobody wants to develop for a platform where they can't even make their money back. If everyone paid a little extra, more developers would be willing to bring their games because they could still make a profit if they simply made higher margins per sale. I'm sure PSVR owners would agree that it would be better to have games on the system that cost everyone a little more then to have absolutely nothing to play at all. And I think that kind of applies here as well.

I think what makes it easier to swallow, also, is the your value you're getting with a Switch game purchase. I remember back when Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate released on Wii U and 3DS. They had a launch offer where if you bought the console version for full price, you could buy the standard definition handheld version with no online for $20. Fast forward to Switch and $10 overpriced games. You're basically buying the console version for full price and getting a high definition, console-quality handheld version for $10. And you don't have to deal with that funky save sharing system they implemented that took 20 minutes to transfer a save file over.

Not to say that makes it OK because it doesn't, but when you're getting more value for your money than in the past, even considering cross-platform launch promotions like with MH3U, it's easier to look past it. As long as it's a physical release, GCU ensures a 20% discount so Rime becomes $31.99, Ultra Street Fighter II becomes $31.99, Binding of Isaac becomes $31.99, etc. and boxed versions to me are always worth $10 more than their digital counterparts... ,so it kind of makes it feel like these are all $20 games that are costing $30 at retail.

I was actually discussing this with someone else in an article today and like I told them, there's no excusing it- well I guess there kind of is if it's a matter of them needing to make a certain amount of profit in order for the port to be viable- I'd certainly rather have games cost a little extra in order to actually get those games than to just not get them at all- but I would say despite me being totally turned off from this recent trend it's not enough to make me boycott these games or penalize myself by forfeiting the most valuable version of the game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@JaxonH I guess that's one way to look at it. In Puyo Puyo's case the physical version has the keychains and is a special edition. The digital version is the same price as it is on PS4. It's a game I'd rather have digitally anyways. The demo for it that's on the Japanese eShop is really fun.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

OorWullie

Grab a bargain right now on Amazon. Switch for only $12 with free shipping.

Untitled

Edit : It's been removed now. Was up for at least a couple of hours though. Wonder if some poor sucker bought it or it was removed by Amazon. He had 7 negative reviews and no positive.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

FGPackers

After some days i started playing Zelda i have to say that i love how this console is smooth and speedy. While playing it you can press the home button and in an instant you can check friends online, what they are playing and things like that. And in a moment re-catching the game you are back there where you left. With Wii U you could not do any of this. It was so slow about it. On this i have to say that Nintendo really delivered! It's fantastic! I love this system more everyday!

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

@FGPackers
Yeah, it's a big improvement over the Wii U in terms of how long it takes to get in and out of games. And compared to the 3DS it's insane especially compared to the original 3DS. It's going to be the best platform games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros and Mario Kart just for that reason alone.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

@JaxonH
20-30 bucks for PSVR games that last you a couple hours? <puts on plastic smile> That sounds like a great deal! We must not insult our Sony overlords!

rallydefault

Honelith

3DS and Wii U are quite sluggish, it's not terrible, but once you learn how to navigate the menus and spend a few months with them, you start wishing it was faster and it's like the more you use them, the slower they seem as your impatience grows, heh. The Switch so far is very speedy, even logging into Nintendo eShop is amazingly fast on the Switch whereas on the 3DS and Wii U it took forever. Having that 4GB of ram really helps, wish it was 8 but you can't have everything!

Honelith

Switch Friend Code: SW-0658-7331-4900

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH @rallydefault VR is a difficult situation as these kind of games are rather necessary for VR to progress so that in the future VR is what you imagined it would be. I would not be surprised if sometime in the future, the way you experience gaming will be split into 2 sections, 1 being VR (i.e. the direction Sony and Microsoft seem to be going in with PSVR and Scorpio) and the other being the concept of playing all games anywhere seamlessly (i.e. the direction Nintendo is going in with the Switch).

The future I described does require a few things to happen that are far from guaranteed:

• Switch is a success and gets good 3rd party support
  • Sony actually creates a decent amount of PSVR stock
  • Microsoft doesn't screw over their fanbase with the "big changes to Xbox Live"

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FGPackers

Seems the activity log on Switch appears after one week of using it, in your profile page, and it says for how many hrs you played a particular game. By the way: when are we going (or supposed) to get the weekly eShop news? I'm really curious to see the first Switch one!

FGPackers

Luna_110

Yestedar, I saw the Switch in person for the first time (couldn't play it since it wasn't connected) but its so... so.... Tiny!! Its so cute!
When I heard the complaints I though it was really big, like Ipad big, but it definitively its a portable. I can't wait to get my own!

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Unfortunately I don't see VR ever being more than niche. Not until it becomes wireless, cheap and included with every unit (which will likely never happen, since it would drive costs up and MS or Sony would just counter with a cheaper alternative without VR).

All these years talking about the possibility of VR and now that it's here, people don't seem to care.

I do think Switch will be a success. Seems everyone at my job was talking about it which I haven't seen the likes of since Pokémon Go. Not that I think it'll be that popular or even close to the Wii, but it's more buzz I've seen for a console in a long time. People I didn't even know played games are talking about getting one. It's crazy.

But I don't think it'll get the kind of 3rd party games you're talking about. It'll have 3rd party support, for sure, but not alot of big AAA.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

FGPackers

I don't think an "only docked game" will ever come. With handheld mode it's quite different: it's kinf of the spirit of the console

FGPackers

KirbyTheVampire

I don't see any reason why a docked only game would ever happen. The only reason handheld only games exist is because of gameplay mechanics exclusive to the handheld, whereas anything you do on the TV can be done on the handheld.

KirbyTheVampire

NEStalgia

I can see the possibility of a game that's pushing the limits of the system at some point in the future that just doesn't run acceptably (or without eating way too much battery too fast) in handheld mode. Something that needs the fan at high power all the time due to it pushing the system too hard. I don't think it would come early in the console's life. I could see it at some point when "New Switch" inevitably hits the market that a game for "New Switch" would also work on Switch but only in docked mode.

NEStalgia

Ryu_Niiyama

Is anyone else not getting a shared wallet once linking the nintendo account and the NNID? I'm noticing this on both my NA and my JPN accounts.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

TuVictus

Probably after mk8 next month. So may

TuVictus

NEStalgia

Either E3 or a May Micro-direct, I'd bet. But the May Micro-direct really ruined some things that could have made the griping about E3 2015 less obnoxious, so they may save everything for E3 at this point. I suppose it depends on sales momentum.

NEStalgia

rallydefault

@Grumblevolcano
Yea, I see what you're saying, it's just dumb that Sony gets a pass and Nintendo doesn't. You can make the same argument for Nintendo breaking the wall between couch and portable gaming on a single system. It's just the same song and dance: Don't you dare insult Sony for charging big bucks for their VR tech, but go ahead and call the world's first major console/handheld hybrid overpriced at 300 bucks.

rallydefault

TuVictus

There was a post here, it's gone now. I deleted it. Not worth the effort lol.

Switch is doing pretty swell

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic