Forums

Topic: Splatoon 2

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 5,014

yokokazuo

@meleebrawler If I recall correctly, Quick Super Jump does stack with sub power up + beakons.
Tested it with some friends when trying to figure out what sub power up does with some subs and I think it did make it faster, not by a whole lot though.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Nicolai

shani wrote:

Yeah it definitely speeds up running while shooting, so it's very useful for many or even all weapons.

I wouldn't use it with rollers. I did some more tests, and they don't visibly affect how fast you move while reeling back to slosh. I tested the distance you travel with the Dynamo whilst reeling back, and it was the same whether I was walking or in the air.

So if rolling speed and sloshing speed isn't improved, that just leaves plain running, and like @Sir_Anthony said, that hardly comes up.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

meleebrawler

@Nicolai Unless you're using the L-3 Nozzlenose. The quick burst fire allows you to easily settle into a proper, faster run in between each trigger pull. Handy for keeping your distance from approaching short-range weapons.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haywired

At the risk of poking the whole motion vs stick hornets nest, I often hear people say that the gyro aiming is "more intuitive", but it's funny because the other day I played Splatoon 2 with my older brother for the first time (who hasn't properly played games in about 20 years and has never played a dual-analog shooter). He loved the game and was fairly decent with the stick aiming, but with the motion aiming he was all over the place. Couldn't get a handle on it at all. I just thought it was an interesting observation (to see it with someone who had no pre-determined prejudice either way or experience either way). Now you may say "Yeah well you have to get used to it" and I wouldn't disagree, but that does somewhat contradict the whole "more intuitive" thing (that always seems to get bandied about with motion controls).

Edited on by Haywired

Haywired

Nicolai

@Haywired I guess it's intuitive for some and not for others? I took to it pretty quickly after fiddling with the sensitivity settings. The first time I ever tried gyro-based aiming was in OoT3D, and I did fine then.

Maybe not everyone develops the skill as a kid? I can thank my rubber band gun I had as a kid, and my sis says she got a lot of practice with Duck Hunt on the NES. I'd be curious to know what your brother's experience is aiming a gun or other shooting thing. It seems easy, but it's actually requires some tricky elbow movement.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

KirbyTheVampire

@Haywired I don't know about it being intuitive. I think it's definitely the superior way to play, but not everyone catches on quickly, if at all.

KirbyTheVampire

NaviAndMii

I have to admit, when I first played Splatoon 2 (the original Testfire event) I was all over the place with the motion controls too! Just couldn't get to grips with them at all! ..but now that I've had a little time with the game (and adjusted the sensitivity accordingly) they really do add to the precision. Much of the time, I don't have to use them in close combat scenarios - I just use my old Goldeneye strafing techniques and am usually precise enough - but if my aim is ever so slightly off, a little flick of the wrist or tilt of the controller helps to zero in on the target...it's pretty great actually now I've got to grips with it a little - and I'm sure I'll only get better the more I play

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

TuVictus

I still really don't like them. Mainly because it pretty much takes all control away from the right stick, leaving you to look up and down with only motion. If it was something more akin to how the 3DS Zeldas do motion controls (Majority of movement is the stick, with fine tuning being the motion controls), I'd probably be happier. It's just a shame I can't get into them. If there was a button press to activate them immediately when I come in contact with an enemy, I'd probably use them so much more. But for inking the floor, I hate it

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

@Nicolai @Spanjard @shani @Maxz im really trying to think of a good team name for us.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

GoldenGamer88

Having extensively played Splatoon 1 with the motion controls, I had no problem adjusting to them in Splatoon 2. Thinking about it, I don't think I needed a lot of adjustment time in Splat 1 either. It's prob because I am very bad at twin stick FPS games in a competitive environment where you have to adjust to enemy fire in less than a second. I also never felt my aim was as precise as other player's.

Join the NL Inklings Discord Server: https://discord.gg/5gf7xg3

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-8427-0621-0325, Username: Montillo
PSN: Montillo88

Nintendo Network ID: Montillo

shani

@Haywired Well I wouldn't necessarily call it more intuitive - even though motion controls did always feel more intuitive to me. I think the main point (regarding Splatoon) is that they're faster and more accurate. But that doesn't mean everyone has to use them - you can have fun without them as well.

Still, I believe after some training and getting used to it, (almost) everyone can master them. Some (like me) learned them really fast, while for others it took more time.

That's totally normal because of how our brains work. You first have to generate and strengthen the neuronal pathways by repeatedly executing any action in order to get better at it. That's why no one can ride a bicycle without practice. ^^
We humans got used to sum that process up with the term 'learning' but it's actually a lot more complex than how we use that term in everyday language.

@BLP_Software How about NL#1? Just kidding. ^^ If Nicolai was European we could've called our team NL Europe. Anyway, I believe we'll come up with a good name eventually.

Nicolai wrote:

I wouldn't use it with rollers. I did some more tests, and they don't visibly affect how fast you move while reeling back to slosh. I tested the distance you travel with the Dynamo whilst reeling back, and it was the same whether I was walking or in the air.

Oh good to know, I wasn't aware of that. I don't really play with rollers (tried it with the Dynamo in Splatoon 1, don't have any rollers in Splatoon 2), but I assumed it would affect them too.

And since you mentioned sloshing... has anyone thoroughly tested whether it affects Sloshers too? I think I did some tests in Splatoon 1, but the results were, well, inconclusive. Since you're running and sloshing alternately all the time, it's really hard to tell.
I did play a decent amount with the Sloshers in both games, but maybe someone with more Slosher experience and a more intuitive understanding of that weapon type can come to a definitive conclusion.

@meleebrawler The Nozzlenose is arguably the one weapon type (except for the SSP maybe) that benfits from Run Speed Up the most, because of how it works. You definitely strafe more with the NN than with any other weapon, at least from my experience. I also remember a guide on Squidboards that strongly recommended using the Nozzlenose with Run Speed Up.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Namco

shani wrote:

The Nozzlenose is arguably the one weapon type (except for the SSP maybe) that benfits from Run Speed Up the most, because of how it works. You definitely strafe more with the NN than with any other weapon, at least from my experience. I also remember a guide on Squidboards that strongly recommended using the Nozzlenose with Run Speed Up.

It also works very well with the Smoosh-o-matic and the Aerospray weapons. You cover wide areas a little faster. Today I did some conclusive testing regarding Run Speed Up. It really does make a noticable difference during battles (Although sadly my win rate didn't magically improve) When I have time I'll see if it affects sloshers. I regularly use the Tri-Slosher so I'm curious as well.

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> â–² Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Zyrac

I'm still not very used to the charge holding mechanic (it would be nice if there were a good visual indicator of how long it lasts), but I think the Squiffer benefits from it quite a bit. Possibly to the point of outclassing the Goo Tuber. Still haven't seen anyone accomplish much with that thing.

I also beat Hero Mode today, and oh look Octavio is speaking like he did in the NA version of the first game. No surprise, since Nintendo seem to have dropped the seperate localisations. They couldn't even be bothered to spell "Colour Splash" properly, despite having injected an arguably excessive level of Britishness into Sticker Star. It kinda makes me glad Cap'n Cuttlefish isn't around.

By the way, don't try to fight the final boss without having upgraded the Hero Shot at all. Not fun.

Zyrac

Twitter:

NickWba20

I have three games on my Switch i consider them to be the three main big hitters so far (Zelda,MK8 and Splatoon 2) and for me this is by far the best game out of the three. I think it takes a little to long to level up. I cant remember off the top of my head but im either level 14 or 15 and it takes 31000 XP to level up. Is there anything you can maybe pick up in the single player which may speed up the levelling up process in multiplayer?

NickWba20

Switch Friend Code: SW-4395-7798-6094 | My Nintendo: NickWba20

NickWba20

Hero mode the single player you access through the grate in the floor in the HUB? Are those tickets the equivalent to collectibles etc?

NickWba20

Switch Friend Code: SW-4395-7798-6094 | My Nintendo: NickWba20

veeflames

Currently looking for one player to play League Battles with me and some other friends.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Nicolai

Zyrac wrote:

By the way, don't try to fight the final boss without having upgraded the Hero Shot at all. Not fun.

Not sure what you mean, I had a blast! Lol. It's ultra hard, because you can barely output enough ink to do basic things, like hit his arm back even if you were shooting at it the whole time. It made an otherwise pushover a real challenge!

shani wrote:

And since you mentioned sloshing... has anyone thoroughly tested whether it affects Sloshers too?

It does, I've tested this. It turned a 14 second lap into 11.5 seconds.

And sorry, I sometimes refer to a roller's fling as a slosh, which is misleading.

Has anyone in America gotten to choose their Splatfest side yet? I haven't seen Pearl and Marina announce it yet.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Dogorilla

@NickWba20 Yep, that's Hero Mode. The tickets are not the only collectibles in Hero Mode but they work the same way in that they can be found hidden throughout the levels.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Zyrac

@Nicolai They usually announce it a week in advance, right? So it'll be a while yet.

I just had a Rainmaker match where we won in like 30 seconds because three members of the other team were too busy fighting me (and losing - my charger skill is improving!) to go after the guy with the Rainmaker. And this was in A rank. Pay attention to the map, folks!

Zyrac

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic