Forums

Topic: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Posts 681 to 700 of 2,144

Grumblevolcano

New update! Fixes lots of stuff:

• Players can use Pikmin-themed amiibo to unlock a Pikmin Suit for the Mii driver.
  • Race rules and course name are now displayed on loading screens for online and wireless play, as well as Mario Kart TV.
  • Players who are behind in online matches will receive items geared toward catching up more frequently.
  • In online matches, no more than two Piranha Plants will be granted as items at the same time.
  • Controls are no longer unresponsive when the timer runs out when choosing a Mii racing suit for online matches.
  • When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.
  • Item wheel no longer spins continuously in online matches.
  • Online matches now end as intended 30 seconds after the first place racer finishes.
  • The Boomerang now returns to the first slot, if possible, after a player catches it.
  • Items shown in a player’s item slots now display correctly when holding an item behind them.
  • No longer possible to use an item after it has been used to block an attack.
  • Communication errors no longer occur frequently while spectating or after spectating online matches.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

@Grumblevolcano Those are great changes, especially the back of the pack item selection, online item wheel fix, and boomerang change. Hopefully they'll allow swapping items like Double Dash and setting the number of laps in versus and tournament races on tracks besides Wario Mountain and Big Blue, but I feel like that won't come until a new Mario Kart does (for no good reason).

I also never understood why the fireball and especially piranha kept taking up an item slot while the star can just be expended.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

• When a player uses an item right after the Super Horn in online matches, that item will now remain available for other players.

What does that even mean though?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 I think it means that before the update if you used a Super Horn and then a shell/banana straight after, then the shell/banana would be destroyed by the Super Horn.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haru17

@Grumblevolcano Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Zyrac

@Haru17 The Fire Flower and Piranha Plant can both be "used" with L for as long as they remain active (it makes the plant chomp on command), whereas the star is no longer controllabe once it's used. It is rather aggravating in the plant's case, though (and it's a pretty hated item in general, which explains the change to it).

I don't think being able to swap items would necessarily be better, really. Burning one item to be able to use the next is a strategic decision itself.

Anyway, I'm really glad they fixed the spectating disconnects. Battle mode in particular had those way too often.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Finally got this game. I'm surprised that they have everything available from the start, that's a refreshing change from previous games where you had to beat certain Grand Prix cups to unlock more tracks or characters. And since this has the most content out of any Mario Kart game with the DLC thrown in, it's a lot to play around with. Having not played the original, I'm enjoying the new tracks and the anti-gravity system, it'll be really fun to play this with friends.

And yeah, I would love to have an update that allows you to switch items, that could be useful. I've had situations where I'm about to get hit by a Blue Shell and a Super Horn is my second item. It'd be easier to just switch items and use it to get rid of the Blue Shell.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

rallydefault

@Bolt_Strike
I get the switching item thing, but it's part of the strategy of the game right now that I think needs to be kept. Do you want to just burn the first item to get to the second item if it's better for your needs at the moment? Or is it worth it to hold onto the first, rely basically on good driving, and then have something really powerful like a red shell when you make it back to first place?

If you could just switch the items at will, it would eliminate that decision making (while lots of action is going on). BUT, I can see the argument for the switch itself being a decision, and the added button input another action the player has to take, further deepening the skill required.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Zyrac

@rallydefault That mention of having a good item in first is an important point. With item swapping, it would be a lot easier to carry even something like a star into first, since you could hold onto it while still using other stuff the whole time. I don't think we need that.

Zyrac

Twitter:

rallydefault

@Zyrac
That's very true. And I don't know about you guys, but I find it relatively easy to go from the back of the pack to the front in most of my online games. I actually prefer to keep myself a bit toward the back during the first couple waves of item boxes; things get so chaotic around that point, and if you just keep your cool you can usually zip through the carnage and find yourself near the front.

rallydefault

meleebrawler

It's also worth mentioning Double Dash balanced out it's item switching by making you unable to hold things behind you and being even more prone to losing them (triples get demoted to singles upon being hit by anything, items in the rear could be stolen by mushrooms and stars etc.).

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Zyrac

Five thousand? Eh, I'm saving my celebration for five digits! I'm somewhere around 7500 right now, I think.

On a related note, I've already spent significantly more hours on this game than the original! The changes may not be huge, but they're enough to make me love Mario Kart like never before. I really enjoy the double item system as it is - it makes holding a lead much less frustrating since you aren't constantly praying to not get coins, it considerably increases the game's strategic depth, and it helped me to realise that Mario Kart does in fact have a degree of strategic depth. Sure, there will always be a lot of luck involved, but it no longer feels like a complete crapshoot to me.

Zyrac

Twitter:

NaviAndMii

@Zyrac Yeah, I'm absolutely loving it! I never had a WiiU - or even a friend who owned one - so never got to play the original MK8...this has made me realise that I never want to be without a Mario Kart game in my life ever again! ..I'm having an absolute blast!

So far, I've gone through all of the 50cc, 100cc, 150cc and Mirror cups with a minimum ★ rating - I've done a bunch of time-trials to further hone my skills & I've played quite a bit of battle-mode online (rank: ≈2000ish) ..but I'm spending the majority of my time in online races now ..and I'm still learning & discovering new things - even after 70+ hours! I'm still finding shortcuts that I've never noticed before - and the (BRUTAL) 200cc mode is forcing me in to learning some of the more advanced techniques (brake drifting etc. ..who knew there was a brake button?! ) ..and, as you say, the double item slots add a whole new layer of strategy to the game that has perhaps been missing since Double Dash

I got this game for the replayability - and it hasn't disappointed - I can see this being a staple of my Switch library for years to come! (..or, at least until MK9! )

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Qwertyninty

Man this game is getting so much traction in my house. Me the wife and kids are playing random battle mode every day. It's amazing!

Qwertyninty

Blue_Blur

Beat all the 150cc and 200cc staff ghosts yesterday, and just finished getting 3 stars in every Grand Prix! Too bad you get nothing for beating all the 200cc time trials.

Some of the 200cc trials were very challenging! The Ribbon Road, Yoshi Valley, and GBA Mario Circuit races in particular were really close, and took many tries.

I'm glad I managed to complete everything before the 21st, since I know I won't be playing anything else for a long time once Splatoon 2 releases! XD

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Zyrac

@Blue_Blur I feel that beating the 200cc ghosts should have been the requirement for unlocking Gold Mario. If you ask me he's a bit too easy to get with how bad the 200cc AI is.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Blue_Blur

@Zyrac: Yeah, the Grand Prix's didn't give me any trouble at all. I agree!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

rallydefault

@Zyrac
Yea, getting at least 1 star on the GPs in 200cc isn't all that tough. I had a few resets, but overall it didn't take me long. Even though you have to learn how to brake drift appropriately, the AI still rubberbands horrendously and will "wait" for you to catch up even at 200cc. Even if you find yourself near the back of the pack on the last lap, all you need is one or two good item drops and you're back in the lead as long as you can drive somewhat consistently (not fly off the stage on every turn lol).

rallydefault

OorWullie

I'm struggling to find the motivation to go through all the tracks again in single player.I've always found the single player in Mario Kart a chore and it's the only thing that frustrates me about the series.Why can't it be more like Sonic Transformed where you have multiple types of challenges and the computer actually gives you a decent race where mistakes are punished.I've played 3 GP's so far in 150cc and every single race I was in front from start to finish except for a few seconds once or twice each when I was hit with a blue shell.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Zyrac

@OorWullie There's actually no real reason to play through 150cc GP. You only need to do Mirror and 200cc for the gold kart and Gold Mario respectively.

And yeah, it pales in comparison to multiplayer... but at least it's not as cheap as some of the earlier games.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic