Forums

Topic: Kirby: Star Allies

Posts 41 to 60 of 244

Octane

@Late That's a bummer. We got a unique looking Kirby game on the Wii U for €40, this one looks as generic as it can get, and it's €60...

I was hoping for €30/€40, but I think I'll wait for a price drop.

Octane

Beedrill4Smash

@Octane I think a lot of people are in the same boat as your hope for $30/$40 price tag. I was expecting it to be full price, and I had a feeling a good chunk of people would be put off by this. After 3 Kirby games (maybe 4, can't remember how much Return to Dreamland cost day 1) costing $40, I don't blame anyone for not liking the $60 price.

That said, I've got the game on pre-order. It might be same old Kirby, but that's a good thing to me. I believe Kirby is the most consistently enjoyable franchise Nintendo has.

Beedrill4Smash

Agriculture

Octane wrote:

@Late That's a bummer. We got a unique looking Kirby game on the Wii U for €40, this one looks as generic as it can get, and it's €60...

I was hoping for €30/€40, but I think I'll wait for a price drop.

It's good news for people than haven't played Kirby since NES. 60 usd means it will have to be a big game, and I'm glad it doesn't use a new experimental art style.

Agriculture

Octane

@Agriculture I don't think the price is an indication for the game's length at all.

Octane

Agriculture

Octane wrote:

@Agriculture I don't think the price is an indication for the game's length at all.

I see. I got the Switch, but haven't had Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube, so I don't know how they price their games.

Agriculture

Late

Just a random thought I had today. It's funny how New Super Mario Bros. series gets so much hate because it always uses the same art style while Kirby has been doing the same for the last 4 traditional platformers and no one questions it. To me it seems that Nintendo thinks their current styles are as good as they can get so they don't spend resources in making them look different. It gives them time to make something else instead.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Octane

@Late I've been saying that ever since they announced the game. At least Kirby got a unique looking game relatively recently on the Wii U. But most of the new games look like carbon copies of Return to Dreamland. They all use the same generic Kirby-equivalent of the NSMB art style.

Octane

Bolt_Strike

Late wrote:

Just a random thought I had today. It's funny how New Super Mario Bros. series gets so much hate because it always uses the same art style while Kirby has been doing the same for the last 4 traditional platformers and no one questions it. To me it seems that Nintendo thinks their current styles are as good as they can get so they don't spend resources in making them look different. It gives them time to make something else instead.

Art style isn't the only thing wrong with NSMB though, pretty much everything about those games is recycled from game to game except levels and powerups. The games remain stagnant in multiple aspects of the game, not just graphics. Whereas with Kirby, the art style remains the same but they change up a little more. The new games introduce actual new mechanics like Hypernova, the Robobot Armor, and now the Ally system from game to game. They have different plots with different characters. Things like that are what keep Kirby from feeling as rehashy as NSMB even though the art style has never really evolved.

And frankly, I'm not sure the art style really needs to change anytime soon. Kirby games look about as good as I could possibly imagine them, IDK what else you could possibly want out of the graphics.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Late

@Bolt_Strike Yes, I'm aware art style is just one of its problems but it's the one that I hear the most. If it looks the same, it must play the same, right? They do add new stuff with each game (multiplayer, DLC, challenge mode, etc.) and I've enjoyed each game (NSMBU > SMB3 & World) but there's still room to improve.

I do think Kirby takes the cake (and probably eats it while he's at it) when it comes to "which feels more different".

I had way more fun with New Super Mario Bros. Wii than Kirby's Adventure Wii (Return to Dreamland) but I absolutely adored Planet Robobot. It's my new favorite Kirby game.

Also, Mega Man. Did it get criticized for looking the same for 6 games when it came out? (This is an actual question I'd like an answer to as I wasn't old enough back then to know.)

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Bolt_Strike

Late wrote:

@Bolt_Strike Yes, I'm aware art style is just one of its problems but it's the one that I hear the most. If it looks the same, it must play the same, right? They do add new stuff with each game (multiplayer, DLC, challenge mode, etc.) and I've enjoyed each game (NSMBU > SMB3 & World) but there's still room to improve.

I do think Kirby takes the cake (and probably eats it while he's at it) when it comes to "which feels more different".

I had way more fun with New Super Mario Bros. Wii than Kirby's Adventure Wii (Return to Dreamland) but I absolutely adored Planet Robobot. It's my new favorite Kirby game.

Also, Mega Man. Did it get criticized for looking the same for 6 games when it came out? (This is an actual question I'd like an answer to as I wasn't old enough back then to know.)

Never heard a lot of people complaining about the artstyle, just that it's generally repetitive and oversaturated. Also, aside from DLC, all of those things are things that Kirby's done as well, so that's not really anything major. And DLC just amounts to more levels, not new gameplay mechanics. NSMB has done nothing equivalent to the gameplay features I mentioned earlier.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

OorWullie

I would have loved to play a full game with the clay style they used in Rainbow Curse.I never bothered buying that game as I wasn't interested in the game play but a traditional Kirby in that style I'd been all over.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

meleebrawler

Those clips are really making it look as if you'll be able to play as helpers with no Kirby around... a separate mode?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

SLIGEACH_EIRE

As well as the new video that Nintendo released this morning, the Japanese Kirby site put up a couple of new Tweets.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

TuVictus

My god, the game is gorgeous. Can't believe how pretty it looks. My favorite Kirby game is Crystal Shards, but if this does the combo abilities as good as that game, this might be my new favorite

TuVictus

FragRed

There's a 10 minute gameplay video on GameXplain for Kirby Star Allies. Looks like a nice game which I have already pre-ordered.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

I swear it looks identical to Return to Dreamland...

It's on my 'get it when it's below €30' list.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I feel the same with Yoshi and Mario Tennis Aces. It's a game I'll play after getting frustrated with Bayonetta 1 & 2 to relax me and stop me destroying the Switch.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic