Forums

Topic: Deal-breaking Things That Would Prevent Switch Purchase?

Posts 101 to 120 of 153

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin when did I say they should release a cookie cutter system?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin every system is different in certain ways, whether it be software or hardware based, even Xbox 1 and PS4 have differences in features. So Nintendo will stand out in some way and I do expect some sort of "wow" feature, but they still need to provide what people expect in a system to some degree.

TheMisterManGuy

@Octane innovation requires both equally. Some of the most innovative games wouldn't have been possible the same way without innovative hardware.

TheMisterManGuy

TuVictus

The thing about Nintendo is that they don't really innovate anymore. They make something quirky, then the next generation make something completely different instead of building and refining the idea. Perhaps if they actually stuck to their ideas for more than one generation, they'd be considered innovative. But as it stands, I doubt the gamepad will be the main form of input in the NX.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

TheMisterManGuy

@Octane Star Fox for example, wouldn't have been possible without the Super FX for example. In terms of input, Super Mario 64 wouldn't have been the same way without the N64's dedicated camera buttons and analog stick.

TheMisterManGuy

DefHalan

Operative wrote:

The thing about Nintendo is that they don't really innovate anymore. They make something quirky, then the next generation make something completely different instead of building and refining the idea. Perhaps if they actually stuck to their ideas for more than one generation, they'd be considered innovative. But as it stands, I doubt the gamepad will be the main form of input in the NX.

I am hoping for a new Wii Remote Revision. The next stage of motion controls, with enough inputs to mimic a standard controller. Refine what made the Wii so appealing while advancing it and making it better for developers and consumers alike (GamePad could still be supported, for a few games at least for Off-TV play)

Edited on by DefHalan

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin Ok, what does that have to do with what I was saying? They don't need to have a cookie cutter console but they do need to have standard features that people expect. Better online services than Wii U is a big one.

Octane

@TheMisterManGuy Sure, but those approaches to development are a lot different than their recent approach. ''We've got this GamePad, what can it do and what franchise can it be used with?'' In the case of Zero. The problem is where the focus lies on. It feels as if some Wii U games had these ideas shoehorned into them to justify the hardware. Take the levels in 3D World that require the GamePad for example. Sure, they're neat, but completely unnecessary. Star Fox Zero could have worked just as well without the gimmicks, or could have at least supported an additional control scheme. There's this concept that everything has to be ''innovative'' and different when it doesn't always have to be that way. Look at the new Zelda game for example. It manages to be completely different from any of the previous entries and it doesn't even utilise the GamePad. In the end, the GamePad was an expensive idea that didn't pay off. I'm not against new buttons or whatever, as long as it's not holding back the hardware. Those rotary shoulder buttons Nintendo patented a while back? If they actually work, I'm all for it. The DS4 includes a touch pad and it has been used in some novel ways in a couple games; great! But these are not expensive ideas or completely different approaches to game controls.

Octane

DefHalan

Project_Dolphin wrote:

I'm saying don't be surprised if the NX has whatever basic features you're looking for but still gets panned by some gamers because of other console features.

It is possible

TheMisterManGuy

@Octane I agree with you on the Gamepad, it feels like that device was just slapped together to try and solve a problem that doesn't even exist. It has some great ideas behind it, but it's bloated with too much useless technology and is just way more complicated than it really should be. Whatever the NX's Gimmick is, it needs to address a problem that actually exists. The N64 analog stick solved a problem, the DS touchscreen solved a problem, the Wii Remote solved a problem, the Gamepad just creates more problems than it solves.

TheMisterManGuy

blaisedinsd

There is no deal to be broken for me.

They need to sell me on this thing and they haven't even tried at this point and the rumours all seem like trash to me.

SW-7087-5868-6390

skywake

From the start I said I wanted the NX to be a portable that was a significant upgrade from the 3DS. Specifically something that would be somewhere around 60-80% as powerful as the Wii U. I was fine with the idea of that. I argued with quite a few people on these forums about how the NX could be a portable. But then it became clear that the NX would be running BotW and I threw that wish out the window.

So I turned to the home console space where performance gains would be easy. 2-4x as powerful as the Wii U was what I expected. Possibly a bit more if they can take advantage of this new generation of GPUs. But then followed by a new portable within a year because the 3DS really is getting old.

Turns out it's both, kinda. It's a portable system that is going to replace the 3DS. Regardless of what anyone might say about this being a different thing. But it's also powerful enough that you can plug it into your TV and it's an upgrade from the Wii U. Put Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Pokemon and Zelda on it? I don't know why anyone wouldn't be hyped about it.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Luffymcduck

If the system memory is something like 32 GB as with Wii U, that might be a huge deal breaker for me. Games nowadays get so many updates and extra content that a large amount of system memory is a necessity.

But if it works like 3DS, I wouldn't have to buy an external harddrive (and something to power it up) but could instead use a large SD card. How much memory can those hold these days?

It would be great if David Wise made soundtracks to all future Nintendo games.

shaneoh

Luffymcduck wrote:

But if it works like 3DS, I wouldn't have to buy an external harddrive (and something to power it up) but could instead use a large SD card. How much memory can those hold these days?

Looking on ebay, there are some 128gb micro SD cards going for ~$70 Australian. You'd need an adaptor, but a portable harddrive might be better value, depending on game size and whether you're happy to lug one about. Or physical might be a better option than digital

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

FragRed

The NX as it currently stands after the leaks has too many problems for me to be excited. Though I do admit playing Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 on the go would be cool if there is good wi-fi services.

However the specs seem to lead to the conclusion that the NX isn't getting third party support, or at least not the games it needs to actually sell units outside a handful of Nintendo hardcore fans. That's what scares me the most. Doesn't matter how great the first party line up is, if there isn't that all important third party support then it's dead in the water as far as most people are concerned.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Peek-a-boo

And backwards compatibility is looking increasingly like a no-go due to a very different CPU/GPU set up (ARM-based and is using an uncommon Nvidia mobile chip).

Third party support is going to be up in the air too.

If Nintendo make us buy Virtual Console games, again, then they have lost me. I was rather annoyed about the whole SNES games on the new 3DS bobbins, when I already had them on my Wii and Wii U so, for me, a third time is an automatic strike out.

We will see!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

@Peek-a-boo Maybe they'll skip VC completely by letting the Nintendo Classic Mini line and already existing 3DS/Wii U VC be the source for older games while NX only focuses on Wii U ports, GC/Wii remasters and new games.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Peek-a-boo wrote:

And backwards compatibility is looking increasingly like a no-go due to a very different CPU/GPU set up (ARM-based and is using an uncommon Nvidia mobile chip).

Third party support is going to be up in the air too.

If Nintendo make us buy Virtual Console games, again, then they have lost me. I was rather annoyed about the whole SNES games on the new 3DS bobbins, when I already had them on my Wii and Wii U so, for me, a third time is an automatic strike out.

We will see!

I wouldn't be so concerned about it having a different architecture, it supports unity and unreal engine. It isn't like Nvidia is a small chipset maker, they are the market leader on PC.

Therad

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.