Forums

Topic: Deal-breaking Things That Would Prevent Switch Purchase?

Posts 121 to 140 of 153

Octane

@Therad Do we even know UE4 supports NX? Don't think we do.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad Do we even know UE4 supports NX? Don't think we do.

UE4 supports tegra x1, so nx is supports.

Therad

Octane

@Therad Doesn't it depend on what API the NX is using though and whether someone is willing to optimise UE4 for that system?

Octane

JohnGrey

I won't be purchasing the NX. This hybrid console rubbish isn't for me. The Wii U gamepad soured me on tableted peripherals, it's a foregone conclusion that Nintendo's construction standards will fall on the cheap side with the tablet, and I'm far too OCD about my media setup to have docking peripherals sitting out there unused for any length of time.

I'm also not doing the Nintendo two-step again, buying a queer little piece of gimmicky hardware just for their first-party titles on top of paying for another console to get my third-party support. It's been several generations since Nintendo's first-party content has been worth that, and neither Miitomo or Pokémon go have done anything to convince me that their upcoming offerings will be clean, efficient, powerful and having strong innate value.

Edited on by JohnGrey

JohnGrey

skywake

Peek-a-boo wrote:

And backwards compatibility is looking increasingly like a no-go due to a very different CPU/GPU set up

Native 3DS backwards compatibility is still a high possibility. Also given the amount of power the thing is rumoured to have (these aren't low end chips) the VC could be pretty decent. NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA and DS will be easy and not particularly surprising. GC and Wii is very possible. Wii U won't happen unless they port.

That ain't bad if you ask me.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

GrailUK

@AlternateButtons XB1 on a handheld is asking a lot I think. I mean, has there ever been a gen where the handhelds are as powerful as the home consoles? Mind you...I used to think home consoles would never catch up to arcade machines. It's amazing what happens when there is a market for something.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

GrailUK wrote:

XB1 on a handheld is asking a lot I think. I mean, has there ever been a gen where the handhelds are as powerful as the home consoles?

No.... typically they're a couple of generations behind

GB < GBC < NES
NES < GBA < SNES
N64 < DS < PSP < PS2
3DS < GC < XBox < Vita < 360
Wii U < NX (rumoured) < XBOne

The chip that's rumoured to be in the NX bucks the trend. At least for Nintendo portables

Edited on by skywake

GrailUK

@skywake Well...there's hype for anyone passionate about gaming right there! Are we on the cusp of a new era?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

skywake

@GrailUK
It's going to be pretty subjective. But if the 3DS was half a Wii and the Vita was 1/5th of a 360? Well the NX looks as though it's better than the Wii U and somewhere between 1/3rd and 3/4ths of the XBOne. What that means in terms of games depends on what content it gets and how hard they push it. What the various hardware quirks are. But it's still pretty impressive and I'm optimistic given that Capcom did this on the "half a Wii" 3DS....

Edited on by skywake

dtjive

For me it would be if the controller(s) are anything like the Wii. I hate the Wii controllers and just want a standard(ish) controller.

dtjive

dAvecaster

Tsurii wrote:

The thing that'd make me not get an NX already happened.

And that's a loss of faith that Nintendo will be able to properly support it and get a decent amount of games on the thing.
They could promise me the damned moon and I wouldn't buy it at this point. I'll sit the next generation out.

If they can get their s*** together, fine. And if not....meh.

I've sat this home generation out (I do have a n3ds) and watched from the sidelines as Nintendo has struggled to be relevant. It hasn't been pretty and I was wondering the other day if the wii U has actually done massive damage to Nintendo. Then it all got a bit depressing so I stopped thinking. Trouble is if I go by my normal instincts and buy a console for software, I really want to play Shenmue 3 which doesn't suggest Nintendo. There'll have to be some really inticing games and IP revivals for NX to appeal.

Edited on by dAvecaster

dAvecaster

CrazyOtto

The only thing that'd make me skip it completely is if it's digital only.

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

FragRed

@CrazyOtto Don't worry with Nintendo's recent purchase in Japan, I get the feeling they are far from being digital only with their consoles.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

isaiahhoyt

I will not buy the wii u if there are no first party games from Nintendo of no xenoblade x2

isaiahhoyt

BlueSkies

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Octane I'm pretty sure @BlueSkies is counting the Metroid Prime series as FPS.

Yes, but there is no way that they have put a Metroid into development in the past year and will have it readied for launch in the spring. Accept it. There is no Metroid in development as far as we know. The only hope for an exclusive fps is whatever original IP Retro is cooking up.

FragRed wrote:

@BlueSkies What are you referring to by only having 8 GB and less than 8 GB? Are you referring to RAM?

I am talking about RAM, and I'm saying that if it has equal or less memory than current (soon to be 4 year old) consoles, then the system's outlook for third party support... it wears a silver, metallic exo-armor and a green cape, and likes to be announced as Dr.

doom.jpg

BlueSkies

SuperPaperLuigi

If Nintendo have moved into the arboreal care market and the NX is some new kind of motorised hedge trimmer.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

spizzamarozzi

I don't know if it's reasonable, but I really expect that on NX they merged the WiiU and the 3DS eShops into one single digital store, so you can play all your WiiU purchases and all your 3DS purchases on the same system. Hopefully WiiWare too.
I'd be very disappointed if that doesn't happen - I certainly don't want them to start from square one again like they did on the WiiU eShop...

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

T-Dot1992

1) No Metroid

2) No backwards compatibility with 3DS. Why should I buy one when they are still 3DS games I want to play?

3) Not enough Japanese third party support.

4) The Mario is just a rehash of 3D World.

5) Detachable controllers.

T-Dot1992

R_Champ

@spizzamarozzi

This wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but it'd be dumb to start from scratch again.

Pay to play online might be a dealbreaker. It's why I won't touch Xbox One or PS4 (Nintendo+PC for me). They both have good exclusives, but I don't care what anyone else says: paying to play online on top of the console cost, game cost, and internet cost is a scam. The gross waves of DLC and unfinished, full-priced games they saved money on should be more than enough to pay for the servers

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

Nonno_Umby

-Paying for playing online
-No new Mario
-No new Smash Bros
-No new Mario Kart
-It is a smartphone, not a console

Nonno_Umby

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.