Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 501 to 520 of 12,088

GuSolarFlare

ZB42 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

ZB42 wrote:

I've never seen any Let's Play videos, but here's my take on the situation. LPers have a market. People watch them. Advertisers want to tap into that market. The LPers essetially sell the ad space. Why shouldn't they get to keep the money as long as they are not breaking any laws? It's like the Pet Rock. It's stupid, but if someone's going to buy it, why not sell it?

I honestly have no counter to this

Okay okay, I shall be neutral about this.

But shouldn't the original creators get some of the revenue not all of it obviously but some at least seeing as its their work being shown off.

I agree with you. It's not that different than pirating a movie IMO. The question is, should the laws change to reflect that? I think they should.

well it's pretty complicated...
LPers "show" the game but you won't get the real full experience unless you play it so it can also be seen as some sort of demo....
even if LPs are really bad stuff(or even if they aren't, never seen one to the end to be honest I couldn't take watching more than 2 minutes of those things) it'd be way too complicated to make laws regarding those.
impossible? no.
really hard and probably not worth the effort? yes.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

ZB42

GuSilverFlame wrote:

ZB42 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

ZB42 wrote:

I've never seen any Let's Play videos, but here's my take on the situation. LPers have a market. People watch them. Advertisers want to tap into that market. The LPers essetially sell the ad space. Why shouldn't they get to keep the money as long as they are not breaking any laws? It's like the Pet Rock. It's stupid, but if someone's going to buy it, why not sell it?

I honestly have no counter to this

Okay okay, I shall be neutral about this.

But shouldn't the original creators get some of the revenue not all of it obviously but some at least seeing as its their work being shown off.

I agree with you. It's not that different than pirating a movie IMO. The question is, should the laws change to reflect that? I think they should.

well it's pretty complicated...
LPers "show" the game but you won't get the real full experience unless you play it so it can also be seen as some sort of demo....
even if LPs are really bad stuff(or even if they aren't, never seen one to the end to be honest I couldn't take watching more than 2 minutes of those things) it'd be way too complicated to make laws regarding those.
impossible? no.
really hard and probably not worth the effort? yes.

But the visuals are part of the experience. Out of fairness, shouldn't some of the ad revenue go to the designers?

I would agree that there is probably not enough money in the end for the game companies to push very hard for this. I think Nintendo put up a stink about this last year and then backed off.

NNID: Z.Beeblebrox

JamesCoote

Getting featured by a famous Let's Play youtuber can do wonders for indie game developers trying to get noticed. So it's absolutely worth its weight in gold. For bigger studios, who've already spent large amounts of money getting the game out there, that's less the case.

If you've spent years making a narrative based game, only to have people watch it on youtube rather than buying and playing it to find out the story, then I think you have a bit more justification for not wanting someone else to pick up the revenue for that work.

Game developer for Crystalline Green Ltd. Working on Totem Topple and Flight of Light for Wii U

Twitter:

CaviarMeths

ZB42 wrote:

Hmm, you have a point here. Interesting perspective.

It's still quite a shady area though, as LPers don't own the material that they base their commentary on. Like you said, it is similar to pirating a movie, and distributors and labels are starting to get savvy to its affect on the industry. Example, Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated pieces of entertainment of all time, but HBO doesn't particularly care, even with copyright laws on their side. Why? Because it drives DVD/BD sales through the roof. Many people who don't have a subscription to HBO will pirate the episodes as they come out, and then drop $50 on the box set. In the same way, many people are willing to go out and drop $50 on a game after watching a LP.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

unrandomsam

HBO is a weird one. There is only 5000 people or something worldwide who watch Game of Thrones live on HBO.

The way it is must be better for them or they wouldn't be doing it.

I would pay £50 a month or £5 an episode PPV off them if I had the option. (And remove all none streaming paid TV I have which could be the reason. But I am in the UK so don't see how it really affects them. I do see the way they are set up in the USA where you can only get them with everything else.)

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

ZB42

CaviarMeths wrote:

ZB42 wrote:

It's still quite a shady area though, as LPers don't own the material that they base their commentary on. Like you said, it is similar to pirating a movie, and distributors and labels are starting to get savvy to its affect on the industry. Example, Game of Thrones is one of the most pirated pieces of entertainment of all time, but HBO doesn't particularly care, even with copyright laws on their side. Why? Because it drives DVD/BD sales through the roof. Many people who don't have a subscription to HBO will pirate the episodes as they come out, and then drop $50 on the box set. In the same way, many people are willing to go out and drop $50 on a game after watching a LP.

Totally agree. It's such a murky area of copyright law. A sor t of unspoken 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' situation is going on. What may change the game is if a LP can be proven to have hurt sales of a game.

NNID: Z.Beeblebrox

SkywardLink98

ZB42 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

ZB42 wrote:

Totally agree. It's such a murky area of copyright law. A sor t of unspoken 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' situation is going on. What may change the game is if a LP can be proven to have hurt sales of a game.

It'll only hurt sales if the game isn't fun to play.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

CanisWolfred

Not every game is meant to be "fun" to play. Would you feel the need to buy King's Quest if you just watched a video where someone solved all the puzzles? What would you gain from watching that? I know I had to take Space Quest off my wishlist agft watching someone stream the supposed best entry in the series. I watched it for the commentary and because I had nothing better to do at the time, but once I was done, there was nothing left I had to experience. Same with RPGs. I don't watch streams of those because the games are long and usually boring to watch, but if I did it'd probably ruin the game for me because RPGs are only fun in figuring out what do, with the story being the reward. It's like having your cake and eating it, too.

I think skill-based games are the only ones where that applies, and even then, I personally find that the need to see what's beyond the next point is what motivates me to keep playing those kinds of games. I certaintly didn't need to play Gargoyle's Quest anymore after the Backloggery streamed it, since I got to see everything without having to put in the enormous amount of effort that game requires (thankfully I made sure not to watch the Backloggery Stream of Demon's Crest or I'd really be up a creek). I don't know if that's just me, but if its not, I could see more people not wanting to play the game just because it was available online at no cost to them and with no effort required on their part.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

unrandomsam

The only thing I ever use any gameplay videos for is when there are collectables (Which I really don't like in games - requires playing the game in a way I never find fun i.e slowly) that are mandatory to unlock an extra set of levels. I would prefer it if I could find just screenshots of the part of the level that I need to look out for but people seem to want to make these videos. (Its even worse if the part of the video needed is not listed with a time).

I don't like tutorials for anything even (Much rather just read a normal none digital manual or try and work it out). Even worse is games that are basically one long tutorial.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

LzWinky

Well it can also be seen as a violation of copyright law. Someone is essentially profiting off your work without your permission, which is illegal. However, the holder in question has the authority to express their rights. Now it seems that the companies have backed off on Youtube

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cheetahman91

Let's Plays are overrated. Also, I'm going to have to agree with people like @Unca_Lz and @CaviarMeths regarding making money from Lets Plays.

Super Mario 3D World is overrated. Good game, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming.

bezerker99 wrote:

Anyone who finds pleasure from Pokémon automatically makes me wonder if they suffered from a head wound at some point in their life.

Watching the grass grow is more entertaining than playing those games.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

CanisWolfred

Guitardude7 wrote:

Those people work hard enough as is.

I didn't know talking about random $#!+ while playing a game was hard work. Maybe my brother should get paid since he does that every freakin' day.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GuSolarFlare

more unpopular opinions:
I'm not interested in LPs. >.>
POKÉMON IS ALIVE!!!!!(or something, just wanted to say Pokémon)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SkywardLink98

CanisWolfred wrote:

Not every game is meant to be "fun" to play. Would you feel the need to buy King's Quest if you just watched a video where someone solved all the puzzles?

Let's plays of Portal 2 are what got me into the Portal games. Haven't heard of King's Quest so the same doesn't apply, but I'd guess from your post they're both puzzle games. I'll stop arguing with all you guys since this is supposed to be a safe-r place for people with less popular opinions. (Unless you guys would rather argue over this, I'm good for whatever lol.)

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.

CanisWolfred

King's Quest is a Point & Click game. The fun is supposed to be figuring out the puzzles for yourself, so watching a video where they solve the puzzles for you sucks out all the fun.

...but maybe that's for the best since I just remembered how stupidly hard King's Quest is. Maybe I should've used Myst as an example instead.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SkywardLink98

CanisWolfred wrote:

King's Quest is a Point & Click game. The fun is supposed to be figuring out the puzzles for yourself, so watching a video where they solve the puzzles for you sucks out all the fun.

...but maybe that's for the best since I just remembered how stupidly hard King's Quest is. Maybe I should've used Myst as an example instead.

If it sucks all the fun out why would you watch them?

Dreamz

Video games are an interactive medium. If I want to passively experience something, I'll watch a movie or read a book. Watching someone else play a video game sucks all the fun out of it for me.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Arminillo

The only LPs i'd watch are ones with high comedic value or mastery of a game i have played.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

Aviator

Gay marriage is a human right and deserves to be put in a life-simulation game.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic