Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 761 to 780 of 6,555

Rezalack

Miss_Dark wrote:

I watched grave of the fireflies today. I'm still crying every now and then and normally I like.. never cry when watching movies.

You should check out "The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weiss.. the soundtrack and atmosphere of that movie fits so well and it's really sad. I say that like it's a good thing, because I think it is. There aren't a lot of movies that make me feel like this one and it makes me tear up everytime I watch it. It's Hugh Jackmans best performance that I've seen.. (I heard he was amazing in prisoners but I've yet to see it.) If you like movies to make you tear up, watch this one. Who knows though, it might not be for you. It's pretty weird. Maybe watch a trailer and decide for yourself. It's from the same guy who did Requiem for a Dream which is a very intense movie in it's own right.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

RR529

Most of the movies I've seen recently, I've seen on Netflix Instant (Laura Croft: Tomb Raider, Laura Croft: Tomb Raider: the Cradle of Life, Hissatsu: Sure Death!, the Sorcerer & White Snake, Walt Disney's the Sword in the Stone, & the King of Fighters), and I've went into more detail in that thread.

Other than that, I've watched Akira, Summer Wars, Fullmetal Alchemist: the Conqueror of Shamballa, & Trigun: Badlands Rumble on Toonami's month of movies (can't believe I forgot to mention these in my last update), and more recently, I've caught Gung Ho & Stripes on IFC (a couple of great 80's comedies).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HawkeyeWii

@Kawaii_Neko Never seen it all the way, but would really like to. Isn't that the movie that spawned all the TV shows?
Oh and check out the latest Godzilla trailer.

Edited on by HawkeyeWii

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

RR529

Watched Star Trek: Into Darkness (DVD) for the first time the other day, which was actually pretty cool (the special effects in that one were really awesome). Also caught Iron Man 2 & Captain America: the First Avenger once each on FX these past few weeks.

Other than that, I've been watching a ton on Netflix Streaming, which I give all the details on the Netflix thread we have here.

I will say that there is a lot coming out in theaters this past month or so that look really good:

• Hercules 3D
  • The LEGO Movie
  • Pompeii
  • 300: Rise of an Empire
  • Son of God

...Too bad I don't have the money to see any of them.

@HawkeyeWii, yeah, the new Godzilla is looking awesome. If I can only watch one movie this year (in theaters), it's going to be that one.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HawkeyeWii

The 300 sequel is looking pretty impressive!
@RR529 LEGO Movie was great!

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

RR529

I saw the new Godzilla last night, and man that was an awesome film. (Big Godzilla fan here, so this'll probably take awhile, lol)

First off, this ISN'T a "Fun" film, so don't go into it thinking this'll be a big budget version of a 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's Godzilla VS [insert monster] film.

Instead, I felt like the film was going back to Godzilla's true roots as a humbling metaphor of the potential danger that comes with trying to harness the power of nuclear energy. In a particularly early scene, the film echoes back to the Fukushima tragedy of 2011, and it effectively sets the tone of what this film is about.

One complaint that I've heard is that there isn't enough of the monsters, or that the big fight doesn't last too long, but I don't think that's an issue, and here's why. The reason being, that's actually not unlike the original '54 film. Just like the original, you constantly get glimpses of Godzilla (& the other monsters, in this case), but instead of the spectacle of the monsters, the film is more about the devastating effects Godzilla (or rather, a nuclear power out of control) has on society. Again, that may not be the Godzilla some people wanted (which is why I think a lot of critics were disappointed), but it's actually much more Godzilla than many realize, and going into it with the right mindset will go a long way I think.

With all that said, there were a couple moments near the end that truly did bring a big grin to my face as a fan of seeing the big guy kick butt, and despite the best of the monster appearances being towards the end, they were never as absent as complaints made them out to be, and you got to see all the monsters in full scale at least once before the big final showdown (admittedly, the other monsters a bit moreso than Godzilla himself, but you always save the best for last). Also, saving the best parts for last just made it all the more meaningful than a lot of other big fights in modern blockbusters, IMO, and I feel the complaining comes off the mentality of today's "instant gratification" generation.

While there was a LOT from the perspective of the human/military side of things as well (since this film is largely about the destruction of yada yada yada, as I've said before), I felt it struck a nice balance as to where it felt like what they were doing was important & effective just enough to be interesting/relevant, while making it clear they didn't really have the power to lay a critical blow on the monsters.

As to the design of Godzilla himself, yeah he's a bit meatier than usual, but I don't think it's an issue. Godzilla has gone through many slight design changes even throughout the Japanese films. Different enough that the different designs were treated as different characters in the Godzilla: Save the Earth video game on PS2. Godzilla, Godzilla 90's, and Godzilla 2000 (not to be confused with the giant iguana from the '98 travesty) were all different playable monsters, and I don't think this Godzilla is any more of a departure than any of those designs.

Everything about the film (and the monster himself) was true to the series, and as a fan I'll gladly say Hollywood has redeemed themselves and finally done the big guy justice he deserves. Despite the critical complaints, it's done well commercially, and hopefully that means they'll be able to make a sequel (heck, maybe they'll even be able to make the next one more "fun", now that they have it open). I'll definitely buy it when it hits store shelves.

There was only one thing I was a little disappointed with, but it'd be a spoiler, so I won't discuss it (it was small in the grand sceme of things).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Joeynator3000

Haven't watched many movies lately, last one was the Lego Movie, and now I'm just waiting on that to come out on DVD next month. x3

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

DiscoDriver43

Saw Godzilla last night. Disappointing. I can't believe how little screen time Godzilla had. The movie was too focused on Aaron Johnson's character, who is a bland boring character. The humans get too much focus. Walter White, the best actor in the movie, doesn't last long enough.

Oh and Need For Speed was just a 2 hour Mustang Commerical starring Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad.

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

ThePirateCaptain

I saw Godzilla the other night and I have to agree with what @RR529 said about it.

@Waveboy
I'd highly recommend watching Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. It easily surpasses the original for me, and was one of the funniest and most clever movies to come out in recent years.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

LyIa

I'm agreeing with @RR529 as well. Very well written post you have there, guy.
Any lighthearted fun movies you guys would recommend? Some Michael Cera, perhaps? :3 I'd love to see something like Juno or Scott Pilgrim.

all men are kings 👑

RR529

I finally got around to watching Gravity last night!

I enjoyed it enough, I suppose. As expected, the special effects didn't disappoint and were pretty awe inspiring at points. Other than that, it managed to keep me tense all the way through, and they nailed the feeling of isolation (I couldn't keep myself from wondering how frightening something like that would be). That said, it does get slow in parts, but that's understandable given the story.

Overall, it's not one I'd buy for myself, but I'll say it's worth the rental, and I'd watch it again if/when it's ever added to Netflix Streaming or shown on TV, if only to see it in HD (since we only rented the DVD version).

Also watched Thor: the Dark World (DVD) the night before that. I left my impressions in our Marvel thread.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

iKhan

Seen several movies in the past few weeks:

Highlights on my thoughts:

Million Dollar Arm- An enjoyable sports movie. But the story it tells is really something I found interesting, as I never knew they managed to get baseball players from India. The pacing is a bit off, and it's not super surprising anywhere, but it was still fun
Godzilla- Friggin loved it. Do I wish Bryan Cranston were in it more? Sure. Do I wish they quit cutting to TV? Sure. But I still think they managed the build up pretty well, I thought the story got the job done about as well as it did in Pacific Rim (and actually much better at the beginning). And good lord was that final monster fight badass
The Amazing Spider-man 2- I enjoyed it unlike the first, but despite this, I'd say it's one of the worst superhero films ever made. While I enjoyed most of the 800 billion stories, and the lack of coherence among so many plot threads kept us from seeing and punk/jerk Peter from TASM 1, that's just the movies masking its own flaws by mistake. Dear lord just kill the Spider-man movie franchise already. Give me a decent TV show and I'll be happy.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

CanisWolfred

Pacific Rim's problem weas that it had too much story and made convoluted a movie that should've been a fun romp.

Also, I hear How To Train Your Dragon 2 is actually good? Am I hearing this right?

Anyways, last movie I saw was X-Men: Days of Future Past. This movie was amazing. Easily one of my top 3 super Hero movies, after Iron Man and Captain America (not sure if I prefer Winter Soldier yet).

BTW, I know its not good to have high expectations, but I think Guardians of the Galaxy could end up on my top 5.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dave24

How to train your Dragon 2 - pretty fun movie. No masterpiece or anything, but I liked it, although it felt rushed in the 2/3 act. Some funny moments, some grim, some obvious, but how the movie looks is amazing.

Dave24

Electricmastro

Movies from the 2010's i'm planning to watch:

X-Men: FIrst Class, Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, Kung Fu Panda 2, How to Train Your Dragon, How to Train Your Dragon 2, From Up on Poppy Hill, The Wind Rises, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor: The Dark World, The Social Network, Life of Pi, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph, Monsters University, The Lego Movie, Moonrise Kingdom, Warm Bodies, Godzilla and Edge of Tomorrow.

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

Tasuki

Well saw Transformers Age of Extinction last night, and what can I say another Michael Bay flick. Lots of action plot very thin

Although I liked the idea behind Galvatron

I was disappointed how the Dinobots turned out. Nothing more then a mount for Optimus Prime, come on.

Well I guess the plus side was there was no Shia LaBouf in this one.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

rolLTheDice

Just watched The Intouchables. It's not often that you get to see a flick so moving yet so intelligent and well thought out. If anyone ever wants to talk about it, you know where to find me (here).

Edited on by rolLTheDice

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Electricmastro

Planet of the Apes (1967) is probably the most pop culturally significant movie ever made.

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

MikeLove

Electricmastro wrote:

Planet of the Apes (1967) is probably the most pop culturally significant movie ever made.

Uh, ya.......no.

Untitled

MikeLove

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic