Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 781 to 800 of 6,559

OneeUpp

I love movies. So my list will be long.

Godzilla - 9/10 loved it but wish Godzilla had more screen time.
The Amazing Spiderman 2- 8/10 loved the effects and soundtrack. Didn't care too much for the final fight scene and how she died by smacking her head on the ground but he caught her too late?! The ending was cute, can we say Rhinoo!!!
Transformers Age of Extinction- 10!! I loved Mark in this. His roll was definitely up to par if not better than Shia's. I love how the people were essentially working together with the autobots. Must see!!
Bad Words- 9/10 full of laughs but concept of a man in a children's spelling bee is weird lol.
A Million Ways to Die in the West- 4/10 if ever. Why was this even made?? Such a waste of cast and lacking a story and point.
Heaven is Real- 9/10 such a touching movie, I was so into it. It's based on a true story which makes it even better. A must see.
Gravity- 7/10 it was good but not what I was expecting.. The movie's representation of space was amazing, but the constant spinning out of control got to be annoying a bit lol. More time spinning than anything else. Nice ending though.

I'll be seeing Into the storm and TMNT next, which I'm excited for.

OneeUp'd you. :)

Nintendo Network ID: iiAmTHAT_Girl | Twitter:

Drobotic

Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last week and absolutely adored it.Can't wait for a sequel to come out.Here's some other movies I've seen:
How To Train Your Dragon 2- 9/10 The film really stepped it up when it came to emotion and action.If you see it,see it in 3D.It's one of the rare movies that's an actual 3D movie and not one with 3D added in post-production or with 3D forced in.Definitely worth watching.
Two Can Play At That Game- 3/10 This film was absolute garbage.It had barely any plot,boring and uninteresting characters,an unreasonable cliche ending,stupid jokes,and the whole theme of it was that men are practically all the same and you should expect them to cheat.You know,because women can't cheat at all.I was forced to watch this,which made it worse.

Want to see Guardians of the Galaxy and TMNT soon.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

Ralizah

CanisWolfred wrote:

Also, I hear How To Train Your Dragon 2 is actually good? Am I hearing this right?

It's awesome. It builds off of and expands on the mythology of the original in a meaningful and significant way. It also has one of the gutsiest plot twists I've ever seen in an American animated movie, even if it did make the film as a whole feel a bit darker than expected. I'd go so far as to say that it was the best animated movie I've seen since Wreck It Ralph. It's the antithesis of the generic cartoon sequel. And the animation is just breathtaking!

I really enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. it had a lot more humor than I thought it would, and Tom Cruise actually didn't annoy me in this film. Not much to the plot, but it's nice to see a summer action movie that isn't entirely brainless.

Transformers: Age of Extinction was... bad. Not as bad as the second movie, but still pretty bad. I only got roped into seeing this one because I was already with the rest of the family and they were all going to see it.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is awesome. The special effects are incredible, the dark story never overwhelms thanks to a contemplative script steeped in humanism, and the action is often quite fierce. Definitely a step up from the first film in this reboot/prequel/whatever trilogy.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CanisWolfred

Ralizah wrote:

I'd go so far as to say that it was the best animated movie I've seen since Wreck It Ralph.

You had me until you said this. That's a pretty low bar to set, IMO. :/

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Went to the theater to watch Into the Storm last night!

Pros:

• It was more like Twister, and less like Day After Tomorrow & 2012, which I think is the right direction for the genre.
  • The two rednecks were easily the best part of the film (seriously, everyone in the theater bursted out laughing at everything they did)
  • Story wasn't fantastic, but it was good ole' family values stuff (realizing what's important in life)
  • Special effects were really good, and if you're in it for the devastation, you won't be disappointed.

Cons:

• Shaky Cam. Not nearly as bad as Cloverfield, but still noticeable. Other than a few select scenes, the whole movie was seen from the perspective of a variety of cameras. The two high school students in charge of filming graduation, the professional storm chasers, and the rednecks (who are YouTube stunt devils).
  • Really no big name stars in this one, if you're into that. I only recognized one guy, and he was more of a B or C list guy.

Neutral:

• They never really got into the science of what was going on. Good if you're in it only for the spectacle, but bad if you wanted something a little deeper.

Overall, it was a good film. Not one of the best I've seen over the past couple years, but not one of the worst, either.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Saw Battleship on FX today!

There's little in the way of story here, but when it comes to a film called Battleship, what do you expect? ;P (I mean, it didn't make much sense that a drunken slob somehow became a high ranking Navy official shortly after being FORCED to enlist, by his brother, but whatev)

If you're in a mood to watch an action/explosion heavy movie about the military kicking alien butt, this could be worth a shot.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

KarrotMan

Recently saw Three Idiots and it was really a fun romp all the way that really connected with me. I chuckled here and there but when the film became sentimental, I felt the character's turmoil. The only gripe I had was the music segments, most of which felt tacked on for my tastes, with the exception of "All is Well" which I genuinely liked. That aside, I was really happy to get a chance to watch this one, though it was a shame that this went under my radar for so long.

I also saw Prince of Egypt the other night, after watching it on it's release back in '99, and I have to say it really is one of the best animated fantasy dramas I've seen since the Miyazaki films. I like how it deviates from the Bible's book of Exodus and adds in certain character dynamics like focusing on the brother relationship of Moses and Ramses or how Moses feels a bit more flawed that the development of his character is given more weight through the course of the film. The animation itself is gorgeous and maybe even the best I've seen, Studio Ghibli movies aside. The music segments featured in the film also are the best I've seen in terms of animated musicals. And I say this after watching all the renaissance Disney movies. Really, I can't give the film enough praise, kinda bummed though that it isn't as highly regarded as the Disney movies. This one should be given a watch for any animation enthusiasts out there.

The last film I recently watched was The Triplets of Bellville which I watched with a friend. Remember when I said that Prince of Egypt had one of the best animation I've seen? This one comes close. It will be the first thing you notice when the film starts "officially". Think of a French caricature come to life, that's the best way I can describe it. It is a surreal adventure where an old lady must rescue her grandson from the mafia. I like how the story is told in action where there is little to no dialogue which is suiting for a relatively short film. The main problem I have with the movie is how it abruptly ends, a little more closure would have helped. But overall, the movie was a fun adventure that really gets creative with the use of animation, sure the narrative may seem basic, but the main point in watching is the spectacle.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

Drawdler

I've seen a fair amount of movies recently. Frozen was just meh (I didn't find it to be deep or particularly well-made, but it has some charm), and How To Train Your Dragon 2 was nice (it left some stuff unresolved, but it expanded some stuff in a way I think sequels should be doing), and I definitely want to rewatch Guardians of The Galaxy (it felt a bit rushed, though it was the most fun I've had watching a movie since Wreck-It Ralph- I don't really see many movies...).

I rewatched it when it was on TV, and Journey To The Center of The Earth was just as dumb as it was years ago.

Big Top Scooby Doo was on TV one morning. I looked at reviews for it and they said it wasn't direct-to-DVD schlock, so I watched the whole thing, and I liked it. It isn't particularly great, but certainly worth a watch if you stumble onto it.

Looney Tunes: Back In Action is on TV. I'm not going to bother watching it.

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Tasuki

I saw the Angry Video Game Nerd Movie last night and I have to say that man definitely has a talent. I really enjoyed it alot. If you are a fan of the webseries then you will enjoy this.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Drawdler

I saw Guardians of The Galaxy and it was great.

Hotel Transylvania was just on TV. I liked it much more than I was expecting.

Going to see The Book of Life eventually.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

CanisWolfred

I'm waiting for The Book of Life to be on demand. Not that I'll ever get to watch it, but I can at least buy it and say I did my part after I inevitably give up 30 minutes in...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dave24

Sharknado 2 and it was sadly meh. It had some awesome moments, but it had too much booooriiiiiing. And the big question I was asking was how can you make a boring movie from an idea as great as tornados with sharks slaughtering the cities.

Dave24

RR529

Just saw the new 2 minute long trailer for Jurassic World, and oh man does it look amazing!

We only see two or three movies (in the theater) a year, and I can already tell this is definitely going to be one of them.

EDIT: Some notable movies I've seen for the first time recently...

Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman - Absolutely brilliant samurai drama/action flick. Not quite as good as 13 Assassins or Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai, but it's still a must watch if you like these kinds of films.

Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow - An homage to the cult sci-fi flicks of the late 30's. It has a niche appeal, but if you'd like to see a 30's sci-fi flick with modern special effects (for 2003) behind it, it's a pretty fun time.

Frozen - I'm still not a big fan of CGI, but this is the best animated film Disney has put out in over a decade (and that includes Pixar). At times it made me feel like a kid again, watching The Lion King or Aladdin for the first time, which is something I haven't felt for a long time.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

DiscoDriver43

Anyone tired of this Part 1 of finales to movie series?

So anyway, how does Mockingjay part 1 fare? I heard the book was not too good.

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

RR529

I just finished watching Noah (DVD), and to be honest, I'm not sure who this movie is for.

It's definitely not for the people looking for an acurate portrayal of the story of how it was told in the Bible (which I knew going in), but it's so dark & heavy that I also can't see it being a good pick for those just looking for a fun special effects movie (not that there weren't a couple of awe inspiring scenes, like when God created the forest, but they were too few).

If you're looking for a good religious production, I'd advise you to look to The Bible miniseries, or The Ten Commandments. If you're looking for just a fun special effects movie... well, look anywhere but here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

the_shpydar

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

Anyone tired of this Part 1 of finales to movie series?

Meh, it's just a marketing thing — studios think audiences are idiots, and want to make sure that people know that, for example, the two Mockingjay movies are adapted from the same book — it doesn't bother me.

Though i would prefer if they just titled the films independently, rather than slapping the "Part 1" and "Part 2" moniker on them.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic