Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 721 to 740 of 6,579

RudysaurusRex

I just saw Strange Brew. Dumbest and funniest movie I've ever seen.

SPREAD THE JOY OF THE GREAT TURTLE
HE IS UPON US AND WILL TAKE US TO THE GREAT WAVE
JOIN THE COURT OF TURTLES AND BE REDEEMED
THE COURT OF TURTLES

3DS Friend Code: 0061-3403-4305 | Nintendo Network ID: AlexTheGrayt | Twitter:

the_shpydar

rudydog13 wrote:

I just saw Strange Brew. Dumbest and funniest movie I've ever seen.

Nice! Hilarious movie, right? If you like Bob & Doug McKenzie, check out some of the original "Great White North" sketches from SCTV, and also their supremely hilarious take on the 12 Days of Christmas ("On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ... a beer.")

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Magi

Scrooged is pretty nifty every few years or so.

Edited on by Magi

Magi

shingi_70

andyutd97 wrote:

So then guys ... Christmas is coming up any suggestions for my next christmas DVD ?
Currently have ELF, Deck the Halls, Polar Express, Fred Claus, Merry Madagascar - Shrek The Halls (Shorts but still count), The Santa Claus and Disney A Chritmas Carol

It's a wonderful life. best christmas movie ever.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Tasuki

shingi_70 wrote:

andyutd97 wrote:

So then guys ... Christmas is coming up any suggestions for my next christmas DVD ?
Currently have ELF, Deck the Halls, Polar Express, Fred Claus, Merry Madagascar - Shrek The Halls (Shorts but still count), The Santa Claus and Disney A Chritmas Carol

It's a wonderful life. best christmas movie ever.

Agree with It's a Wonderful Life. It is an old movie but its a classic. I also suggest A Christmas Story (A Christmas movie collection is not complete without this) National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, and Home Alone.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Platypus

andyutd97 wrote:

The 1984 Christmas Carol With George C. Scott, it is REALLY good!

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

Morgana

You know what a really good animated movie is? It's called Secret of the Kells. It has animation that looks sort of like stained glass.

YOU WILL NEVER RISE FROM THE ASHES OF YOUR SHAME AND HUMILIATION!

k8sMum

the best ever movie 'A Christmas Carol' is from 1951 and stars Alastair Sim; i believe it is actually titled 'Scrooge'. it captures the dickensian feeling perfectly.

'The Secret of Kells' is a lovely, excellent movie.

Edited on by k8sMum

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

Magi

Just saw the new Ghost Rider flick. It was completely and utterly horrible. Will add more info on Monday. Cliffhanger! Lol

edit: well, it's Monday and I don't have enough time or energy to properly convey all the horribleness of this movie. Here's two quick things:
1. Ever watch Evil Dead and Army of Darkness? Those were some zany and over-the-top movies, in a GOOD way. This movie tries to be zany and over the top while still trying to have some very serious themes. It just doesn't work. I'd love to nail down one or two examples, but there are just too many.
2. The end of the movie was one of the most horrible endings I've ever seen. [b]SPOILER![b] how in the world does the bad guy that MADE the main character get defeated in mere seconds? Geeze...

Edited on by Magi

Magi

HanuKwanzMasBif

Hey guys. Just saw Star Wars 3D. I wrote a review, you can find it here or here.

Jumbif wrote:

Star Wars is perhaps one of, if not the, most beloved sci-fi series in the world. The first movie's release in 1977 brought praise by the masses. Its sequels also captivated audiences and made them fans for years to come. When Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980, it was subtitled "Episode V" and the year afterwards the original Star Wars' name had "Episode IV - A New Hope" tacked on to the end. Fans were excited for the backstory to be explained.
And then, in 1999, Phantom Menace came out. People had mixed opinions, but a large amount of them were negative. The next two films were liked a bit more - emphasis on the word "bit." Currently on IMDB.com Episode II holds a rating of 6.8 and III a rating of 7.7 - mediocre to average stuff. Five years after the final prequel came out, director George Lucas announced that he would be re-releasing the films in 3D, in order of timeline. He then went on to create a Blu-Ray edition of all six films, butchering moments in the original trilogy and causing an uproar among fans. Then, eight days ago, Phantom Menace 3D was released. Has 3D made it better? Was it really that bad in the first place? Read on.
The film opens with the "A Long Time Ago..." opening text - but this time with it jutting out from the screen. Then you see the spectacular Star Wars logo - but as it floats off into the distance, it... doesn't. It just appears to get smaller. What? Doesn't that defeat the ENTIRE PURPOSE of 3D?! How could they possibly mess that up?! Was that intentional?! Apparently so, as the intro text does appear to go into the distance. So you open with the ship, and the viceroys, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and whatnot. So much talking... In fact, this is a problem throughout the whole film. There's more pointless blabbering than, well, anything else. But more on that later. Eventually they start slicing droids and awesome stuff happens - deflecting lasers, slicing doors, slicing more doors, usual Jedi stuff.
Phantom Menace looks fantastic, but the 3D doesn't actually help it that much. There's the depth and stuff, and there are some pretty amazing scenes which are made better by 3D - like the pod racing sequence. Oddly enough, I found the pod racing sequence looked best in the darker parts - literally darker, as in caverns and stuff. The 3D just looks the best when it's dark. Maybe that's just something wrong with me. Usually the 3D is consistent, but there were some weird parts. At a point relatively early on in the movie, it appears that shadows are at least half a foot off the ground - this is from a bird's eye view. Why? And in another scene later on, it appears that a hologram is inverted. Maybe that was intentional, as soon afterwards the hologram started glitching up. Without 3D, I think the movie looks mostly as good - because the movie wasn't made for 3D! The 3D is good - it certainly doesn't detriment from the experience - but it doesn't improve it either.
The dialogue, however, is simply horrible. The writing is astoundingly bad. What was Lucas thinking? The plot is complex, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the dialogue explaining said plot does a terrible job of it. The acting, while this may be because of bad writing, is pretty lousy too. Natalie Portman had been acting for 5 years prior this movies original release, yet her performance feels robotic. Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn and Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi are average, and they do complement each other nicely. Side characters are overall mediocre, but though they may not say much interesting stuff those aliens are sure cool. One side character who gave a great performance was Pernilla August as Shmi Skywalker. Jar Jar Binks, certainly the most hated character in all of Star Wars, I find not to be that bad - he just ruins the mood of a couple scenes. However his fellow Gungans are horribly annoying, definitely worse than Jar Jar himself. The worst character in the whole movie, in my opinion, is Anakin Skywalker. I feel sorry for Jake Lloyd for being associated with this horrible performance, although his horrible acting ability is definitely a factor. Lloyd's acting is the central reason why this movie is bad. His acting is so stunted that I wonder why they chose him to play the central character in the whole Star Wars hexalogy (yes that's a word). This isn't his first role; he was in 1996's Jingle All The Way, an Arnold Schwarzenegger Christmas "movie." Let's just say it wasn't good (maybe I'll review it). Lloyd delivers some painful one-liners, excruciating dramatic pieces and some equally awful lines in an alien language - although I wouldn't be surprised if it was gibberish Lloyd came up with on the spot. This is the worst child actor I've ever seen.
Though the writing is so bad, the rest of the movie is fantastic. John Williams' score is amazing, especially "Duel of the Fates", which also accompanies the scene that holds the best fighting choreography I've ever seen in any movie. The digital effects, as stated earlier, are great, despite the 3D not benefiting the film. All the action sequences are great, despite the Gungans' total annihilation of the quality of every scene they're in and Jake Lloyd's awful dialogue delivery.
In conclusion, this film has great visuals, music, and a good if not great plot. But the dialogue and delivery is so horrible it detracts from the movie enough to nearly ruin it. Keep this in mind though: while this is a bad movie, it is nonetheless entertaining to watch. This is lousy, but still worth watching - perhaps not though if you've already seen the original.
5/10

Tasuki

Magi wrote:

Just saw the new Ghost Rider flick. It was completely and utterly horrible. Will add more info on Monday. Cliffhanger! Lol

edit: well, it's Monday and I don't have enough time or energy to properly convey all the horribleness of this movie. Here's two quick things:
1. Ever watch Evil Dead and Army of Darkness? Those were some zany and over-the-top movies, in a GOOD way. This movie tries to be zany and over the top while still trying to have some very serious themes. It just doesn't work. I'd love to nail down one or two examples, but there are just too many.
2. The end of the movie was one of the most horrible endings I've ever seen. [b]SPOILER![b] how in the world does the bad guy that MADE the main character get defeated in mere seconds? Geeze...

I have to agree with you here. The first one I really enjoyed Spirit of Vengeance was just horrible. They didnt even do the flash backs right when they showed Johnny Blaze making the deal. Horrible horrible movie. Its pretty sad when the trailers before the movie were the best part.

My Backlog

Tasuki

Well I just saw Hunger Games and I have to say what a disappointment. For someone who has never read the book it would be a great movie but for someone who has it was a disappointment. Now I understand books are better than their movie counterparts but after the great job they did with the LoTR and Harry Potters series or heck even the Narnia series its hard to say that. The problem I had with Hunger Games is that they cut out alot of the important background stuff and even changed alot of key scenes for me it almost felt more like a video summary of the book. Hopefully with the second book getting a different director it will be closer to the book.

My Backlog

MikeDanger

Everyone go see Get the Gringo now on DVD & Blu-Ray NOW!!!!!!!!

Best movie that never hit theaters ever.

P.S.you guys have to show me how to add a video from youtube in my comments... As you can see I don't know how to do it.

Edited on by MikeDanger

Fan of: Shin Megami Tensei/ (Classic) Mega Man/ Pokemon/ Batman Arkham/ Metal Gear Solid/Peanuts/ DBZ/ Regular Show/ Power Rangers/The Walking Dead/ Invincible/ Detective Comics/ Secret Six/ Immortal Iron Fist/ Lobo/ Green Lantern
Colors 3D:

Dizzy_Boy

there`s a remake of robocop on the way, due out august next year.
they`ve changed robocop`s armour from silver snd black to just black.
personaly i wonder if they`ll bring back ED209, that mecha was actually pretty cool,
http://www.robocopmovie.net

Edited on by Dizzy_Boy

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Tasuki

Recently saw the movie Brave and I have to say for a Pixar movie I was disappointed. It seemed to me like the just took Brother Bear and changed the setting from Native American to Scotland, Pixar could have done way better.

My Backlog

Norfair

A movie thread? Time to share my favorites!

1. RoboCop
2. Dredd 3D (Don't let the name turn you off, this is probably the best movie that nearly no one saw)
3. Hobo with a Shotgun
4. Conan the Barbarian (With Arnold)
5. Commando

My body is ready, can you say the same? Is your body ready?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9601-9308

HawkeyeWii

I was very disappointed in Ironman 3.
Mandarin was a joke,
Nuff said.....

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic