Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 321 to 340 of 413

TAndvig

Probably every damn Final Fantasy game ever released, considering the amount of fandom and hype that comes with these games, it's not difficult to say it is overrated. Most of them just come across as cheesy to me, FF7 being the most overrated one of them, with a mediocre written story that is a lot more simple that people admit. Battle mechanics is always what have been the best part of those games for me.
Oh, and Horizon Zero Dawn, is really overrated, the story is bland, the characters aren't that interesting, and it makes the same mistake that most ubisoft games does, a map crowded with icons.

TAndvig

Krull

@TAndvig That's completely fair. Personally, I have a ton of fondness for the series, particularly those from FFVII to FFX, as I played them more or less around the time they came out (and nostalgia is a powerful lens), but I completely get why they would leave others cold.

I have to ask, though, do you like any JRPGs? The Final Fantasy games are very much classics of a particular type, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the wider genre. Dragon Quest? Phantasy Star? Lunar? Tales? Ys? Heroes?

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

TAndvig

@Krull I don't have a big fondness for JRPG's, but i did enjoy playing and finishing Xenoblade Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia, Project Octodad Traveler(demo), Eternal Sonata, Persona 4 and 5, one of the etrian odyssey games on 3ds.
Never played any of those you listed up except for Dragon Quest and some of the games in the Tales series, Tales of Symphonia is probably my biggest favorite, because of the nostalgic attachment i have to it.
The Dragon Quest series, I only played the first one on snes and one of the games that came to the DS.
I am more of a Western RPG guy, with a big love for cRPGs, so it has a lot to do with JRPG's not being 100% my thing, but i can fully enjoy them as any other fan, it's just that it's downsides is harder for me to ignore, it seems to me they copy a lot from anime culture, like melodramatic characters and gestures, some cheesy things you would find in any anime, dramatic haircuts and styles, and so on.
But i will get Xenoblade 2, because i love the first game.

TAndvig

vibet

Everyone loves GTA5 and I say nope that's an overrated game.
My favorite games get called overrated that they have to derail the thread into oblivion with their butthurt comments.

vibet

WhiskeyFlamingo

@AlienX Unleashed will forever be my favourite - loved the day time stages.

Overrated games?
Call of Duty - I'd like to see new settings, better writing.

Halo (4 and on)- I think 3 was the perfect end for the series, while I enjoyed 4 to an extent, 5 wasn't my cup of tea. Shame, as Buck was a favourite of mine from ODST.

Fallout 4 - NV has the better writing. 4 has great gunplay, but watered down mechanics and a plot that is similar to 3.

“To every man his little cross. Till he dies. And is forgotten.”― Samuel Beckett
“One day at a time, sweet Jesus. Whoever wrote that one hadn’t a clue. A day is a f**kin’ eternity”
― Roddy Doyle.

Nintendo Network ID: MunsterRugbyfan | Twitter:

-Green-

Fallout 4. I found it very uninteresting and boring. I played it for a while, but me being a person who loses interest quickly, the game just didn't offer enough to keep me intrigued in it. I also found it look very ehh as well.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

@Snaplocket Not Fallout 3, but I did play Skyrim a while ago. I have similar feelings to Skyrim that I do to Fallout 4. In that I lost interest in it after a bit of playing it with my sister, and for similar reasons to Fallout 4. I've been thinking about giving Skyrim another go, but I'm hesitant as I don't find it appealing.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

EvilLucario

Hollow Knight joined my list. I enjoyed it a great deal and the world is definitely great, but best Metroidvania? Well, it's definitely great, but I wouldn't say best. I feel like upgrades come far too slowly across the game, which makes progression seem relatively slow for a Metroidvania. I tried a new save file after The Radiance and I just couldn't do it because the speed was just too slow.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NinjaAceTrainer

Upon clearing Super Mario Odyssey some time ago, and 100%ing the game, I felt quite underwhelmed when comparing it to other 3D Mario games. It seemed insubstantial in content when compared to, say, Mario Galaxy. I also felt that many of Mario's maneuvers were designed for speedrunning, which conflicted with the collectathon nature of the game. I also felt that the bevvy of references to other games detracted from the overall experience, as it came across as nostalgia pandering. Looking back, the game, especially the early areas did not contain very much intricate platforming at all, and I felt that the game only really got started past New Donk City, which sadly was about where it ended, adding to my earlier statement about it being insubstantial in content. I would personally rate it at an 8/10, and do not think that Breath of the Wild, which I consider to be a 10/10, is comparable with Mario Odyssey. Does anyone else agree with me about Mario Odyssey being rated too highly?

Just your everday ninja, who may also be an ace trainer.

gcunit

@NinjaAceTrainer I do agree, but I should caveat that by saying I've only played 5-10 hours so far, and have only been to sand, forest and Lake kingdoms so far.

I don't love the way the camera works. I hate the use of half-tone transparency, it's so ugly and happens all the time.

It's a great game, but it hasn't wowed me. Though the lack of true multiplayer makes a big difference to me. SM3DW is still my favorite at this stage.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

KirbyTheVampire

@NinjaAceTrainer I'm only at the Luncheon Kingdom, but so far it hasn't surpassed Sunshine for me, and I don't think it ever will.

KirbyTheVampire

Ryllow

Does "overrated" exist at all? because you know the world don't spin around me.

Ryllow

EvilLucario

Do note that "overrated" simply means you think it gets too much credit. How much is too much is up to you, and it doesn't have to be a huge gap. You can still love games you consider "overrated". For example I love Undertale but I don't think it's worthy to be a GotY candidate.

Saying something is "overrated" is almost always a matter of opinion anyway.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Armbouncer

Oh boy, this is going to be hugely unpopular.

Breath of the Wild is way overrated in my opinion. Now, I get why people like it. It has a huge open world which you can get lost in for dozens, if not hundreds, of hours. It's just that most of it wasn't very fun to me. The biggest problems I have are the weapon system and the lack of proper dungeons. The way the weapons break so easily and the fact you have to scavenge for more all the time really put a damper on the fun. It doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me at all and I sincerely hope they go back to the way things were with the next game. BotW currently stands as my second least favorite "official" Zelda game ever.

Armbouncer

Ralizah

@Armbouncer There are a few users on this site that really dislike the game, so you're hardly alone. Zelda won't be going back to the old formula, though: Nintendo has pretty much said that, for the foreseeable future, new Zelda games are going to be "open air." That is, open world. With that said, it's very possible that Nintendo could include meatier dungeons and alter the durability system in future games.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Haru17

And that's how Zelda Wii U was a VR game with 1-to-1 sword motion controls. Because someone at Nintendo said so five years ago.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Armbouncer

Ralizah wrote:

@Armbouncer There are a few users on this site that really dislike the game, so you're hardly alone.

I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone on this. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy. That's what I love about the community on this website though. Respect for each other's opinions.

Armbouncer

skywake

Ryllow wrote:

Does "overrated" exist at all? because you know the world don't spin around me.

There was a needlessly long whine by me at the start of the thread about why this thread even exists. I'm sure it has probably come up multiple times since also. Because when you say something is "overrated" you're making a point of saying something that a lot of people like isn't that great. Which when you think about it is a bit of a crappy thing to do.

With that said, and in the tone of this thread in general. I went into my Steam Library today because there are too many games I haven't finished. Loaded DmC and... immediately wished I was playing Bayonetta instead.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CanisWolfred

Wait, I thought Fallout 4 was one of those games that everyone was really hyped for, but said hype immediately deflated when it turned out to be exactly the same as the last two Fallout games, except slightly worse and with some completely tacked-on mechanics? That was my take, at least. Sold it as soon as I could. Honestly, I think even Fallout 3 has lost its luster for me by now, but I think I already had a big write-up on that in this thread somewhere...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.