Forums

Topic: The All-Encompassing E3 2014 Thread

Posts 921 to 940 of 2,161

iKhan

This E3 is Iwata's last chance. If we just get previously announced titles+Zelda+Miyamoto's new IP (both expected). I'm done defending him. The Wii would have officially been his happy accident.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

UGXwolf

iKhan wrote:

This E3 is Iwata's last chance. If we just get previously announced titles+Zelda+Miyamoto's new IP (both expected). I'm done defending him. The Wii would have officially been his happy accident.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The lead up to E3 has been rather promising, and at the very least, we may finally get two gamepads. That'll be nice.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

jariw

iKhan wrote:

Since I'm not a voting shareholder, I just enjoy playing the games.

jariw

iKhan

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The lead up to E3 has been rather promising, and at the very least, we may finally get two gamepads. That'll be nice.

I think I'm getting cold feet. I've had such high expectations going in, as there is so little information we know. But Nintendo has had such a nasty habit of disappointing as of late.

@WaveBoy. I know. The Wii's my favorite console of all time.
@jariw I'm a shareholder, a fan of their hardware, and a fan of their software.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

iKhan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

I think I'm getting cold feet. I've had such high expectations going in, as there is so little information we know. But Nintendo has had such a nasty habit of disappointing as of late.

That's why you should never expect much to begin with. High expectations will always be followed by some sort of disappointment.

Octane

iKhan

Octane wrote:

iKhan wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

iKhan wrote:

That's why you should never expect much to begin with. High expectations will always be followed by some sort of disappointment.

Yes, and for most Nintendo Directs, that's been my policy. But I've never experienced a Nintendo event with this number of strong rumors and known games in development. It's very hard not to get hyped in the face of that list cookiex posts.

UGXwolf

@Octane I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only thing better than finding out I'm wrong and loving it is finding out I'm right and loving it. When I build up that much hype and love the announcements, I wind up walking away with a big grin, as opposed to the goofy smile I have when I get surprised by something I was expecting very little of. I feel more people should think this way. I assure you, it's quite fun. ^w^

On that note, pre-E3 would be boring as all heck, if there wasn't any hype, and even if they don't deliver exactly what I was hoping for, I'm always aware that's possible, so it doesn't get to me. Does the term "high hopes, low expectations" ring a bell?

@iKhan Don't let the rumors get to you. Those are always floating around and most of them are based on what will get the most people disappointed when it doesn't happen. Instead, use your head and look into what people with actual info are saying and implying, then you'll find things to be hyped for, in one way or another.

For instance, I got the Wii U, and as talk of a new Retro game started circulating before E3 2013, do you know what my thought process was? "Everyone thinks it'll be another Metroid Prime, but... weren't they finished with that series? I suppose a new Metroid is still possible, but let me check... Ah ha! They DID say they were done with Prime. Aren't these the guys that made that new Donkey Kong game that I never got around to playing? Oooh, I really hope they reveal a new Donkey Kong game in the vein of the last one."

My hype was through the roof when they announced Tropical Freeze, and it may still be my most treasured Wii U game, thus far.

Go in with an idea of what to expect, rather than an expectation of their ideas and you'll find yourself coming out a lot happier than you would've, before.

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

I'm a shareholder, a fan of their hardware, and a fan of their software.

It's unwise to mix business and pleasure.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

jariw

To me, it seems like the Animal Crossing for Wii U rumor is the one with the most substance. (Why are they bringing those people in from Japan just prior to E3 otherwise?) But none of the 4 "main" rumor lists mention an Animal Crossing for the Wii U.

jariw

Datasun_7

This years E3 is gonna be good really looking forward to Sony/Nintendo. Nintendo have a lot riding on this, perception wise anyway. I hope Sony announces some end of year stuff too seeing as I just bought a PS4. One thing I think we are going to see is lots of delays

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

shingi_70

Happy E3 everybody!

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

UGXwolf

So, I went back and watched last year's E3 conference, and I suddenly get why people don't like her. It seems like she's trying to be Reggie, and it comes off as fake and insincere. Not saying that Reggie feels entirely genuine, but it always feels like Reggie stumbles into a meme while it's clear that Ubi's spokeswoman is trying really hard to make #girlwood a thing.

I mean, I don't care that she's a girl. I even find some of her one-liners funny, on rare occasions. She just tries too hard.

shingi_70

UGXwolf wrote:

So, I went back and watched last year's E3 conference, and I suddenly get why people don't like her. It seems like she's trying to be Reggie, and it comes off as fake and insincere. Not saying that Reggie feels entirely genuine, but it always feels like Reggie stumbles into a meme while it's clear that Ubi's spokeswoman is trying really hard to make #girlwood a thing.

I mean, I don't care that she's a girl. I even find some of her one-liners funny, on rare occasions. She just tries too hard.

really Reggie and half of nintendo's marketing in general seems pandering to the their core fanbase. Nintendo of America has become shockingly self aware which is why we get regurgitated My body is ready, as well as terrible stuff like Cranky KOng and the slightly less terrible bad day goomba.

#Girlwood was funny in a pretty painful way that she was really trying to make it happen, while both making nearly every man in their uncomfortable with a female erection and the fact that #girlwood is a terrible descriptor in an effort to make penis jokes.

As much as I love Mega64 the digital event video is probably they're most meme focused video of them all.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

cookiex

iKhan wrote:

Yes, and for most Nintendo Directs, that's been my policy. But I've never experienced a Nintendo event with this number of strong rumors and known games in development. It's very hard not to get hyped in the face of that list cookiex posts.

Well anything outside of "confirmed/gauranteed" I'm not saying would actually happen, but rather that a few of them 'might' happen. And IMO only three items in my 'rumored' list has actual credibility to them (Pokkén Fighters, S.T.E.A.M, Mario Maker), the former two for already being trademarked worldwide and the latter for being seen in a photo nobody has been able to prove fake yet.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

UGXwolf

shingi_70 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

really Reggie and half of nintendo's marketing in general seems pandering to the their core fanbase. Nintendo of America has become shockingly self aware which is why we get regurgitated My body is ready, as well as terrible stuff like Cranky KOng and the slightly less terrible bad day goomba.

#Girlwood was funny in a pretty painful way that she was really trying to make it happen, while both making nearly every man in their uncomfortable with a female erection and the fact that #girlwood is a terrible descriptor in an effort to make penis jokes.

As much as I love Mega64 the digital event video is probably they're most meme focused video of them all.

See, I can tell that they're trying to keep their core fanbase through jokes, but I don't really see harm in it, as I find most of the jokes either funny or easy to ignore. I thought the Cranky Kong thing was hilarious. "My body is ready" was such a meme hit that not repeating it would just prove how oblivious they are. And I've only seen one bad day goomba meme. It seemed ok, but enough of those and I'd get pretty sick, pretty quick.

As for #girlwood... eh... It's obvious she's trying to make it a thing. It doesn't make me uncomfortable, it just gets on my nerves. There's a lot of other things they could've stuck in there and it would've been funny, but whatever. The French and US senses of humor don't really mesh, nor do those of the US and Japan. I suppose the people writing the jokes find them hilarious or think that we will. I'm not in the least bit shocked that neither a French company nor a Japanese one knows how to make someone look funny and exciting.

Even so, I liked the girl better than anyone else on stage, so there's that. And Reggie is always a highlight of any Nintendo presentation.

As for the Mega64 video... was that really meme-y? I didn't feel like they were sitting there rattling off memes like they were at a stand-up comedy bar and forgot that transitions kept the jokes fresh. I mean, sure, the over-use of Reggie was there, but from everything I watched and heard, it didn't sound like they even had time to consider how funny the audience would find it, which means they probably enjoyed the script, themselves. The literally wrote and filmed the whole thing in about a week, as I recall, and a lot of that was travel time.

That's beside the point. I loved the video. I love the memes. I'm a big fan of the spokespeople. I just think Ubi's spokeswoman (whose actual name I can't remember to save my life) was just trying way too hard and came off as really insincere.

Jazzer94

Hmm I don't know Reggie has been getting stale imo I think Nintendo need some new blood on stage who's a bit younger and has less of a one note personality.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

shingi_70

Jazzer94 wrote:

Hmm I don't know Reggie has been getting stale imo I think Nintendo need some new blood on stage who's a bit younger and has less of a one note personality.

Its his time to shine.
Untitled

Best presenter of any E3 is Mr.Caffine.

WAT!

cookiex

shingi_70 wrote:

Best presenter of any E3 is Mr.Caffine.

Tom Calancy's Ghost Recon

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

vonboy89

I'd rather keep off of E3 stuff untill after my workweek, wich ends wednesday morning. Anyone have a link to the Nintendo Live Event (well, recording of it) I can look at after I get home wednesday? I rather not have to try to look around for it, and catch glimpses of new games before I even see the presentation. That make any sense?

Thanks to anybody that can help!

my friend code is 1306-7465-1022 and my nickname is Vonboy.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.