Forums

Topic: 1990's: The last great decade?

Posts 21 to 40 of 52

Hokori

Yes! Beacause it was Mario VS Sonic Plus Because of this we got:
F-Zero, Yoshi, Pokémon, Mario RPG Games, Pilotwings, StarFox, and Kirby's ability to suck things up.

Now its Mario VS... ... ... ... wait whos sonys mascot Crash Bandicot, no that was in the late 90's, is it Sackboy or Ratchet.

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Rensch

Every decade has its ups and downs. I personally think the new, seemingly unlimited ways of communication of the past decade have also opened up amazing possibilities. The way I am, at this very moment, sharing thoughts with people from Sweden, the UK, the US, Germany, Australia and so on would not have been possible if it wasn't for the digital revolution.

And many people are simply blinded by nostalgia. The economy was almost as bad as it is now in the early 80's but from what I've heard from my mum it was also a lot tougher to get a job and earn a decent loan. That may differ in which country you live though.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Noire

This planet hasn't rocked since the Egyptians were the dominant world power.

We settled disputes with children's card games, people.

you've activated my trap card

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Macaronius

Roopa132 wrote:

No.

*Hunt the Hare and turn her down the rocky road
all the way to Dublin, Whack follol de rah!*

Funky_Gamer

ProtoZone wrote:

Roopa132 wrote:

No.

"Remember: when life rocks you, RAWK BACK!" ~Rawk Hawk
FNS: Y B L R R R B >

RowdyRodimus

Honestly I think the 90's were when things started going downhill as far as the stuff I really care about is concerned. Music began dying in the Grunge era. That led to the modern hipsters and goth cultures which helped bring in the apathy for the previous generations ideals, which gave us politicians who are more interested in being on MTV and E! News than what is going on in the world which resulted in the global economic problems because people worry more about what phone a candidate uses than their views on actual issues.

So in a way, I blame everything on Nirvana and I hope Cobain is enjoying burning in hell.

I am the one you despise. I am he who says what you really deep down know but are affraid to admit. I am the Anti-Fanboy, the crusader of truth in a world built on your lies.

StuffyStuff

To the people who disagree, what are your reasons for disagreeing? Rensch made a good point that worldwide communication wouldn't exist without the things we have today. I lived in a small town where any phone called made outside of town, even ten miles out, would be long distance and that was in the late 90's. Y2Josh also makes a valid point, however my "research" shows that it's not only people my age who feel this way, it's people that are much older than me as well.

Greed has caused a lot of the world's problems today. My father made a living in the drywall trade in the Bay Area making $22 bucks an hour in the late 80's-early 90's, which in today's money is like $33 an hour. Where I live now in the Southwest, the same position pays $15 an hour. Bosses are charging the inflated rate, yet paying less for labor. My hope is that the 10's (?) will be remembered as fondly as decades past.

StuffyStuff

Funky_Gamer

@StuffyStuff Because I have hope that the future has something good for us.

StuffyStuff

Funky+Gamer wrote:

Hmm, never thought of thinking in the future tense. I admire your optimism.

StuffyStuff

Raylax

I can't really comment. I mean, I /would/ say that I personally thought the 90's were better, but I was aged 1 to 10 at the time. The most important thing happening in the world was my Lv76 Nidoking and I wanted to be an aeroplane when I grew up. In other words, my view of the world at the time was thoroughly skewed, like all children.
So I have to argue that this decade is better because we live longer, are healthier, things are easier and we stay connected a lot better. And 2010-2020 will be better than this decade, and so on.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Funky_Gamer

StuffyStuff wrote:

Funky+Gamer wrote:

Hmm, never thought of thinking in the future tense. I admire your optimism.

Just dont think too far into the future. Someday, everything will be perfected, and there will be nothing good left.

Wildvine53

I loved the last decade, and I'm looking forward to many more.

Wildvine53

3DS Friend Code: 2878-9589-2016 | Nintendo Network ID: Wildvine53

The_Fox

RowdyRodimus wrote:

So in a way, I blame everything on Nirvana and I hope Cobain is enjoying burning in hell.

>: (
Ill words towards Kurt Cobain!? You and me at noon, sir. Dueling pistols are the only way to resolve this.

Edited on by The_Fox

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

KaiserGX

PunnyGuy wrote:

Sadly, I do tend to agree that the 90's were the last great decade. In the 90's, there were a lot of good shows on TV (like Animaniacs), the introduction of the Internet (like grenworthshero said already), and the greatest gaming war in history, Nintendo vs. Sega. The 00's, however, had 9/11, the war in Iraq, and worse TV shows. Do I even need to remind anyone about the conclusion to last decade last year, or as I like to call it, "the year of deaths" (Michael Jackson, Billy Mays, Farah Fawcett, Captain Lou Albano, etc.)? The 80's were great, but the 90's were the last great decade. Here's hoping the 10's will be better.

I love Animanicas, but we did have some great deaths... BILLY MAYS MAN HOW?! WHY SO YOUNG!!!

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

CanisWolfred

Nope. This last decade was pretty freakin' good, and I can think of hundreds of great games I've enjoyed. This coming decade might be a bit of a downer, though, depending on how big people get into this stupid Motion control and 3D frenzy.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ark

I personally think the 00's were great, at least music-wise, video game wise, and technology-wise. Sure, a few of the people in this topic hate the music of this generation but the radio is not the be all and end all.

There is plenty of music out there that I'm sure you'll find is phenomenal; you just have to search for it. That's MUCH easier in this generation where you can find practically anything (I guess you had access to a lot of stuff in the 90s, but more-so recently). There are even websites like Last.fm which can help you find artists similar to what you like or you can get samples of completely random stuff just for kicks. You don't have to rely on trendy radio music like Lady Gaga in this day and age... although admittedly it can be hard to avoid it being played in malls and such.

Video games are getting better as they go along, but again, you've just got to find the right ones. With the advent of demos becoming popularized, this is certainly a good direction for the industry (at least in the minds of most players). Even Nintendo is taking more jabs at it and will hopefully make use of it in the coming/current-y generation.

A lot of previous-gen people will complain about the length of a game. "Oh, I remember when I could spend a good 8 hours on an NES game, why is it that when I buy today's action games I still get that amount?!" Well, the oldie games (or on NES at least) weren't particularly long...at all. Most could be completed in an hour, but the games were generally so hard and required "learning" so that you could actually complete them This turned out to be quite a convenient mask for developers (I know, not ALL of them). These days you can get a relatively easy action game that generally lasts 8-20 hours of pure gameplay.

-
I can see your point with the whole anti-social thing of the 00's though, but I guess it's inevitable. As technology increases, there isn't that "need" to go and ring the doorbell anymore. Why invite your friends anymore when you can frag some [insert FPS or something else] up online? Saves you having to clean up after a pizza party or something. I'm not sure I like where we're heading in that regard.

Edited on by Ark

Big_A2

Give the 00's another 5 years and it'll seem like the best decade ever.

Carlos27

The problem is not the technology, think about a wife that today can communicate in several ways with her husband that works in china.
Society has not change by technology, it is the philosophy of life what is changing... we are SELFISH, we don't appreciate small things, we live to consume, etc, etc.. Economy always is worst an better.
You can unplug your pc and enjoy a book, or a good conversation with your beloved ones... and make this time better than past

Edited on by Carlos27

Carlos27

J_K

Ok I was totally mean on the 00's, I did get married in that period and I discovered my love of XM radio with no damn commercials (for most channels) both nearly 3 years ago. Oh and the GBA truly was the pinnacle of 2D gaming hands down and it is of this dying decade we're finishing up now too.

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.