Forums

Topic: Controversal Opinion: Was Super Mario 3D Land the worst Mario?

Posts 101 to 120 of 127

SparkOfSpirit

Yellowtails wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

If you want a real controversial opinion, try thinking that NSMB DS is the worst NSMB game. You'd be surprised how rare a sentiment it is.

@SparkOfSpirit Yeah, I doubt any one who knows their Mario games would think that.
I think that NSMB2 3DS is the worst NSMB game. The DS one blows the rest of the NSMB games out the window.

See, I've been playing SMB games from the first one and thought, and still think, the first NSMB is the most disappointing. Way too easy, few items, and boring level design. NSMBWii and U blow it away.

NSMB2 at least has that coin gimmick and DLC to stand out. NSMBDS has nothing.

Edited on by SparkOfSpirit

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Dezzy

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

If you want a real controversial opinion, try thinking that NSMB DS is the worst NSMB game. You'd be surprised how rare a sentiment it is.

I'd definitely agree with that. I only played it after I'd played the others and I thought it was the worst by far. I think people's opinions were just heightened because it was a welcome revisiting of an old formula.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TuVictus

Yeah nsmb DS was by far the worst of all of them. Boring, easy, and no extras.

TuVictus

Eel

The first NSMB was original and new when it came out.

Now it's older. So naturally the games that kept expanding on its formula are better than it.

You wouldn't find it fair if I said " Super Mario Bros sucks and it's the worst of the series because it's not as fun as Super Mario World", would you?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

unrandomsam

Dezzy wrote:

SparkOfSpirit wrote:

I'd definitely agree with that. I only played it after I'd played the others and I thought it was the worst by far. I think people's opinions were just heightened because it was a welcome revisiting of an old formula.

I played it after Wii and 2 and preferred it to those two. The level design is good. The Star Coins are not in totally stupid places (Rather not have them). The difficulty is more reasonable. And it introduces wall jumps and presumes people will bother using them.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Eel

NSMB for the DS is kind of my favorite 2D Mario. It is fun, not too hard- I can take my time, and very enjoyable. (And I can play as Luigi as much as I want from the very beginning).

The minigames are great too, they were a huge hit with my friends at the time. Too bad no other NSMB games kept that as a tradition.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

TuVictus

Morphbug wrote:

Now it's older. So naturally the games that kept expanding on its formula are better than it.

You wouldn't find it fair if I said " Super Mario Bros sucks and it's the worst of the series because it's not as fun as Super Mario World", would you?

Yes I would find it fair. And even for when it came out nsmb DS was disappointing from a gameplay prospective. It was just too easy.

And super Mario Bros. Original does suck and it is the worst in the series. There's nothing wrong with that.

TuVictus

J-Manix98

My reply to this thread:

Absolutely not.

"Oh, Gimme that fun-ky milk!"

3DS FC: 1349 - 7754 - 5401

3DS Friend Code: 1349-7754-5401

Bolt_Strike

Morphbug wrote:

The lack of originality in later installments overshadows the minor improvements that each of those games got.

Morphbug wrote:

They wouldn't frame it so negatively, they'd say that the game was good for its time, but that future games are better.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

unrandomsam

I like all the original ones (Including the first and Lost Levels and even 2 USA which I hated until the last year or so). And the DS one / NSLU and the challenges from NSBMU. (And the Newer Mod for NSMBW which probably has the best level design of any of them - the New Super Mario Bros ones anyway).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

SkywardLink98

Morphbug wrote:

I find that fair, and I make comparable arguments all the time.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

SparkOfSpirit

Yellowtails wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Morphbug wrote:

The lack of originality in later installments overshadows the minor improvements that each of those games got.

Exactly this.

Fine if you think so, but I by far prefer the better level design and power-ups of the later games.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

LaserdiscGal

Excuse me, the worst mario by far has to be Mario's Hotel (Or Hotel Mario?)

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LuigiTheGreenFire

Super Mario 3D Land is undeniably the worst 3D Mario game (and even then I reluctantly call it a 3D Mario game), but I think there are worse Mario games for sure.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

TuVictus

3D Land is a 3D mario game in the same way 3D World is. That is to say, not much of one at all

TuVictus

irken004

After making it through to special world 6 on it, I can say that this is by far one of the worst-controlled mario games I've ever played. Everything about mario's movements seem slightly off enough to throw my enjoyment of the game out of the window. Shame really, some of the levels are really neat.

Whydoievenbother

No. Super Mario 3D Land was great! Super Mario 3D World is more deserving because all it did was build off of 3D Land's success.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

DaveReyezzz

WHAT?! This is the Mario game that I can actually go back into along with the original galaxy. By far one of the better Mario's for me. I do understand that the first half of the game was pretty easy but the second half does get brutal.

I love fighting games soccer edm and Kanye
Currently playing:
The Legend of Zelda: a link between worlds
Fire Emblem Awakening
Dead or Alive Dimensions

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1413 | Nintendo Network ID: Davidreyes98

Bolt_Strike

DaveReyezzz wrote:

WHAT?! This is the Mario game that I can actually go back into along with the original galaxy. By far one of the better Mario's for me. I do understand that the first half of the game was pretty easy but the second half does get brutal.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the difficulty of this game (although it is one of the easiest ones I've played).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.