Forums

Topic: 3DS to Cost $200!

Posts 41 to 60 of 133

Saviour

ipods pfft, i hate iPods. plus, kids dont really like iPods much, they like nintendo.

Saviour

the_shpydar

NintyFan wrote:

Don't get me wrong, having the 3DS released this year would've been great, but if they were going to do that they would have built up the marketing and information on games such as Kid Icarus would be coming out steadily in magazines and at least be advertised. Right now there's hardly been any new information on any 3DS game right now, and that tells me something. I wouldn't want Nintendo to rush a game and put advertising up right before putting it stores. The games need to be as developed and improved as much as possible.

I agree, though if they announce on the 29th, and then release it in say, the 2nd week of December, that'd give them about 2 and 1/2 months for some aggressive marketing. I think you're probably right though. A March/April 2011 window would actually make sense, as it would allow 5-6 months to really build the anticipation for the general public.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

SpentAllMyTokens

lz2010 wrote:

The title is very misleading. How often does Nintendo directly convert currencies to determine their price?

This is crucial. On the off chance this is accurate, generally consoles/games cost more in the EU than they do in the US. Which would mean, if this is the true Dutch price (doubt it), the 3DS would sell in the US for less than $200.

I was thinking it would run at $180, which would be about right. However, the newest iTouch is now $230. While I'm guessing the processor, memory, functionality, camera, and pixel ratio will all still be better on the iTouch than the 3DS, it does give Ninty some more wiggle room to be the "cheap" option. I could see it retailing for up to $200 in the US now (which will suck for Europe, cuz it will be more). I guess we'll just have to wait until the end of the month. It's all pretty meaningless speculation though, because aside from the 3D and the graphics processor brand we still don't know all that much about the true specs the machine will have.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Peznaze

Ah, yes. If it does retail for only $200, it will likely not have enough silicon in it to compete with Apple, but then I don't think Nintendo thinks of Apple as competition. Considering the statements about costing more to make than a DSi, Nintendo not wanting to lose money on hardware, and the fact that the 3D has pretty much made everyone who's seen it wet their pants sadly means Nintendo could really charge whatever they want and people will still buy it. I don't think $200 is very likely, myself. $225-250 I could see. At least, I hope it costs that much and has enough silicon in it to justify that pricetag, because then it will be a true successor to the DS, and not just a hopped-up DSi with an extra camera.

Peznaze

LzWinky

Peznaze wrote:

Ah, yes. If it does retail for only $200, it will likely not have enough silicon in it to compete with Apple, but then I don't think Nintendo thinks of Apple as competition. Considering the statements about costing more to make than a DSi, Nintendo not wanting to lose money on hardware, and the fact that the 3D has pretty much made everyone who's seen it wet their pants sadly means Nintendo could really charge whatever they want and people will still buy it. I don't think $200 is very likely, myself. $225-250 I could see. At least, I hope it costs that much and has enough silicon in it to justify that pricetag, because then it will be a true successor to the DS, and not just a hopped-up DSi with an extra camera.

In some ways Apple is competition, but not really at the same time.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tails

When ever it comes out I'll be happy. Don't know if i will get it Day 1. But still will be an epic day when it finally arrives.

Edited on by Tails

Check out Wii-kly Review's on http://www.videogameheat.com PSN ID: TailsPrower86 3DS FC: 3695 0027 1349 Tails XBL GamerTag: BioReaver86

Kaeobais

lz2010 wrote:

In some ways Apple is competition, but not really at the same time.

Basically, they could be competition ... if they weren't pants on head silly

Why must you ruin everything TBD?

Edited on by Kaeobais

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

ToastyYogurt

Like Nintendo would build up the date for announcement of something, only for someone else to leak the information and let everybody know when it's coming before they announce it.

I'm pretty okay.
Formerly Destroyer360, Destroyer64, DestroyerInsertYourFavoriteRandomNumbersHere.
"Purple is a color." - Waluigi
Wait, quotes should be meaningful? Ugh, fine.
"I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on." - Gorillaz

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4642-6622 | Nintendo Network ID: ToastyYogurtTime

metakirbyknight

Apple IS competition.

I spent more on games for my freakin' phone than I did for my DSi, Wii, or any other Nintendo product combined so far this year. That is not good for them.

Stalk me on my Twitter.
Proud Homebrewer.

JadeGirl

I figured it would come around 200$ dollars its just to good to go for 180$. I better start saving. It shows Nintendo rules and Sony can go down the toilet drain. Sony is saleing the PSPGo! for 250$ Dollars and look what Nintendo brings us hungry fans a AWESOME 3DS for 200$ dollars that surpasses the PSPGo! a thousand TIMES and in PRICE!

Edited on by JadeGirl

Love is the Answer!
My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord. Psalm 104:34
So many Awesome video games coming out this year! So many games so little money! Crap!

Twitter:

Objection

$200 is a very fair price IMO, I'd like if it came with a demo cart of launch titles, kind of like how DS did with Prime Hunters: First Hunt and Wii did with Wii Sports. Christmas does seem soon, but I'm really okay with them launching it whenever. We'll hear more soon, possibly during TGS 2010, which is this week.

[21:14] pixelman: I blame fheblackdragon
[21:15] pixelman: That's not an f by the way, it's a fancy t.
[21:15] Objection: Tales of Graces "fancy t"
[21:15] Objection: Tinal Tantasy
[21:15] theblackdragon: lol OB
[21:15] pixelman: OB knows what he's asking about.

3DS Friend Code: 1934-0835-3789

chadthegamer

Yeah, $200 is a good price, especially with all the features the 3DS has been said to have. I've already got money on the side for it and I hope the release date is true, too.

Judge games by what they have and not what they could have had
Wii Number: 3670 7978 6538 8640
PSN ID ~ chadthegamer
Currently Awaiting: Skyward Sword, Dead Space 2, 3DS, Kirby, Vanquish, AC2 Brotherhood, DK

IAmNotWill

metakirbyknight wrote:

irken004 wrote:

metakirbyknight wrote:

meh.

They'd have to beat the new iPod touch in price to be successful.

Just think, a mom is in the store. The 3DS and the iPod cost the same, and being a mom, she asks the people for help. She asks them which one does more. "The iPod does more" they respond. Then she looks at the games for the 3DS and sees them retailing for $30-50, and she knows that games for her iPhone cost $1. She picks up the iPod.

Face it, it's how it works. We'd still buy them as hardcore fans of Nintendo, BUT WE DONT MATTER. We are like 0.0002% of Nintendo's total market. Even if every single person on every gaming site ever bought one, it'd still flop.

You obviously never seen a kid ranting to his/her parent's for something they would REALLY want, like a 3DS. By the time the parent's get to the store, the thoughts of their kid repeatedly saying "3DS 3DS 3DS etc." would scar them xD

And you have obviously never seen how much kids love the iPod touch.

Newer handheld with 3D capabilities and the newest Pokemon. Don't
worry, kids are gonna get the 3DS.

@Topic: 2 years ago Nintendo announced the DSi around the same week of the 29th. Then they didn't launch the DSi in the West until April of last year. This is going to be the same with the 3DS, and as long as it sells for less than the new iPod Touch, it can be successful, like the DSi.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

ASDFGHJKL

You people do know that the introductory price to an iPod Touch is over 200 dollars.

ASDFGHJKL

IAmNotWill

thelawyer wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I don't want the 3DS to be rushed but it'd be stupid to release this after Christmas. Everyone will buy it at Christmas. At March everyone won't be bothered to spend that much money after their crazy Christmas spending spree. I garantuee that it'll be released this Christmas.

March is 3 whole months after Christmas. People will still buy the 3DS. Launching the 3DS on Christmas will rush the launch games.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

JadeGirl

Everything will come at its apointed time. Nintendo knows what they have to do so everything will be perfect. I know from the fans point of view because I myself am a fan were or are saying whats taking Nintendo so long to release the 3DS? I guess some of us say this because we really don't no how much effort goes into creating these systems and games and the marketing process, because it takes a lot of time to do certain types of things that we no nothing about. I have decided I've been to greedy, ever sense the E3 I've thought when is going to be realeased, and then I thought if they wait till next year I will be so mad, I want it now! But I thought about what I said and said to myself hey you know I'm being greedy.

Now that I think about I can totally wait for the 3DS. It's not like I'm going to die because the 3DS has not come yet. I'm proud of all those those who are waiting without complaining

JadeGirl.

Edited on by JadeGirl

Love is the Answer!
My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord. Psalm 104:34
So many Awesome video games coming out this year! So many games so little money! Crap!

Twitter:

SuperMarioFan96

metakirbyknight wrote:

Apple IS competition.

I spent more on games for my freakin' phone than I did for my DSi, Wii, or any other Nintendo product combined so far this year. That is not good for them.

I agree with this mostly, although I don't think I've spent more money on iTouch games than Wii games, although it may be more than on DS games this particular year since I don't play Pokemon games and there hasn't really been much else that has come out (understandably with 3DS coming soon). All I know is that when developers create original games built specifically for the iPhone/Touch we get brilliant and addictive games like Doodle Jump, Angry Birds, Tilt To Live, Pocket God, Rolando (and its sequel), Sway, Parachute Ninja, Fruit Ninja, Slice It, and Flight Control..... just to name a few. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT:

GabeGreens wrote:

You people do know the introductory price for the iTouch is over $200.

Edited on by SuperMarioFan96

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

Robo-goose

Back to topic:
Lets take a look at the facts. The DS phat was released at a retail of 150$ (149.99$ If you want to be a wise-guy), which was 50$ more than the retail for the SP (which added the backlight). The Dsi was released with a retail price of 169.99$ (170$ if you want to be a wise-guy, wait a second...) and added multiple featchures, e. g., cameras, a virtual store, SD card compatability,etc... Now the 3DS is having major upgrades to graphics (which costs a lot of money) and obviously plays games in perfect 3D. The graphics update from the DS to the 3DS, when compard to that of the GBA to the DS, is a much farther leap. This will make the price jump even farther. So instead of the 200$ retail price speculated by the Dutchman, we will most likely have to pay 250$ at launch.

"I'm a heartbreaker...
My name... Charles." -The Greatest Man In Driftveil City

armoredghor

I understand what you mean by the updates but nintendo kept the price down on the wii for sake of availability and $250 will be very high for a handheld; 200 is already high! As far as the iphone/itouch doing more-the 3ds has movies, music, skype (?), and its own app store. They are giving apple a run for their money considering most developers won't make games of this definition for a dollar.

armoredghor

xAlias

I want to try it out first to make sure it's all they say it is.
Back on topic, THAT'S AWESOME! 200 bucks seems just right for a handheld of this quality.

xAlias

Nintendo Network ID: xAlias

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.