Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 51,641 to 51,660 of 52,552

bimmy-lee

@Tyranexx - I forget, do you have a cat currently? They can be better equipped for long stretches of alone time. Seems like maybe we’ve had the allergy talk though. Yes, puppies are like toddlers: Cute, funny, clumsy, a little dumb (but learning), bowel control issues, they won’t let you sleep, they destroy all your favorite stuff, and you’re constantly, even irrationally worried they’re going to get run over. Other than that, it’s really fun!

@ThanosReXXX - I ended up doing a bit of googling as well, and it’s a pretty interesting situation. Yeah, there’s an original ending and another, longer edit made shortly thereafter. Part of my problem recalling a lot of this stuff is that I was watching it on public television, which made their own edits for time and content. Even cable made edits. Either version is a good movie if you ask me, though I definitely remember thinking the mafia story felt a bit tacked on, so I must have seen the original, shorter cut first.

Man, that fight from TWotD you posted is a classic. I’ve watched that video before, love the super slow motion. You can actually see Bruce be too fast at points and arrive at a block multiple frames before Chuck throws a strike.

Some of the shots that connect are brutal. It reminded me of an old wrestling angle between two big, scary monsters I liked back in the day. They had a long television feud, and decided to stand out on a mostly kid centric program by actually beating the crap out of each other in really brutal and bloody fashion. I was listening to one of the guys involved talk about those matches in retrospect and he said the scariest thing was knowing he was going to get punched in the face. In wrestling, they accidentally get punched from time to time, but to plan it out and plan on getting punched is a very scary thing to know it’s going to happen and anticipate it. So you can imagine how nervous Chuck might have been anticipating a kick to the head and then nearly getting his head kicked off by Bruce in one of those sequences!

My favorite part is a combo near the end where Bruce hits a nerve strike in Chuck’s right armpit, and then seconds later he sells it when he’s on the ground and his right hand is limp and twitching. Good stuff man.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Fujimoto-San

@Heavyarms55 Exactly! That's what I've been saying. Some people just can't stand a character with good looks (either male or female) and just call it "fan service". I avoid associating myself with fandoms because of issues like that, besides the fact that they're also toxic most of the time. I don't think that separating the games' different routes was a wise choice but hey. I guess we got, what we got right?

@MarioLover92 Great news! My brother was browsing around in Target yesterday, and found Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury! We played it last night, and we had such a great time. As always I don't really expect a challenge from Mario games these days but its so fun to play. We already cleared and 100% World One and are in the middle of World Two. This morning we tried out Bowser's Fury and it was blast to play too. I'll be honest with you though, with all the metal in the background playing I thought that Fury Bowser was going to be.. more difficult. But we've barely started that mode so my hope is that the difficulty will increase, as we progress collecting Cat Shrines.

I wanted to ask you something. Are you familiar with Minecraft? I've heard that its a game that supports local co-op, but I'm rather confused to how the gameplay is. If you're not, then don't sweat it! I'll find out somehow, either that or I'll just buy the game, ha ha!

Edited on by Fujimoto-San

"Put your faith in what you most believe in."
"Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself."

MarioLover92

@Fujimoto-San That's awesome! I'm glad you got it and are having a good time with it. I know of Minecraft, but never played it.

Nintendo Life's (self-proclaimed) #1 Mario fan! Wahoo!

SMM2 ID: V1J-NRF-PWG
AC:NH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Let me know if you're gonna add my Switch FC. Thank you!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-8582-2999 | My Nintendo: MarioFan92 | Twitter:

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Glad you liked it.

And yeah, I remember having seen that TV edit as well. As I have probably mentioned several times before, the Netherlands is very USA-focused, where entertainment is concerned, so it's probably the very same edit as well. I also seem to remember that stand-in having some kind of unnatural hairdo, almost as if wearing a wig, but my memory could be fooling me, so I'm not completely sure. Either way, as I pointed out before, the fighting in the edit and in the sequel was definitely of a lesser quality, so even if they did manage to make the stand-in look alike, that most certainly still stood out.

As for Way of the Dragon, yeah, that is to this day still one of my most favorite martial arts fight scenes I've ever seen, and I can easily watch it over and over. The slo-mo bit was new to me as well, by the way, so that was a welcome and pleasant surprise, thanks to that specific YouTube user.

On a side note and for your info: even though the punches and kicks did really connect, they were still the result of a perfectly choreographed scene, done by two professionals and dear friends, so they did rehearse beforehand and besides that, professional, high ranking karateka's know how to roll with a punch, so even though it will still have hurt somewhat, Chuck would at least have been able to mitigate some of the impact and subsequent damage.

EDIT:

By the way, I know you sometimes chat with Anti. Have you got anything that you wish to or are able to share with us about his whereabouts or, in case of illness, condition? We may not always see eye to eye or like the same things, but I bear him no ill will, so if he's in a bit of a predicament or ill, be sure to send him some wishing wells from this grumpy old Titan...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Fujimoto-San Hi, I hope you don't mind me stepping in, but I've found this video, which might help you figure out how it all goes.

It's the first video in an entire series about Minecraft, so if you like it and/or find it useful, then there's more to be found on their channel.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Fujimoto-San

@ThanosReXXX Not at all. I've been thinking of buying Minecraft recently and these videos might be just be thing I need to clear up a few things before buying, so thanks! I appreciate it.

"Put your faith in what you most believe in."
"Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself."

Heavyarms55

@Fujimoto-San Yeah. It's the internet. No matter what the topic is, you'll find a large, loud, group of people who wont just tell you why the thing you like is terrible, but also that you're terrible for liking it. And that's a big part of why I quit all major social media. Not quite the biggest reason, but it's one of the reasons for sure.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

PSVR_lover

@NeonPizza

“YouTube was the final straw for me, at least when it came to actually responding to videos and other users. Aside from being incredibly addicting and constantly puncturing my other hobbies, it mostly feels like one giant cesspool of toxicity and an absolute overload of negative opinions, with people shouting obscenities left and right and acting completely out of line, or younger millennials spewing out try-hard clever one liners in order to gain multiple likes or attention from other users or the YouTube creator. It's not all bad obviously, but still.“

All true, and I hate the commercials too. However, I’ve seen some great videos on the site that I really love.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Heavyarms55

@NeonPizza Part of the problem is the way social media is designed. Be it Facebook or Twitter or YouTube comments - nearly all social media platforms put the most responded to/most liked comments toward the top. And the controversial, the offensive, the mean comments are the ones that get replies, which in turn pushes that negativity to the front.

Then you add in the trend that even this site is guilty of, of not having any form of meaningful dislike/downvote options... You see horrible comments that, although maybe it's like 30 likes and 150 dislikes, only the 30 likes and several dozen replies are visible.

Further add the protection of a username, computer screen and hundreds or thousands of miles of distance and that encourages people to be as mean and heartless as they want. And you're right, a lot of the time people would never behave like that in person.

It's not that social media companies are evil. There's no grand, evil plot or anything. They are just out to make money, and it just happens than encouraging drama and arguments is actually profitable.

Tyranexx

Taking a bit of an internet break tomorrow. I will resume interneting this weekend!

@MarioLover92 Unity is awesome, it can be quite a fun (and at the beginning, overwhelming) sandbox to mess around with. As for computer art, until college I didn't know about any decent editing programs besides PhotoShop, which had a paywall. I certainly messed around with computer art and worked at it...in MS Paint lol. I wasn't too bad at sprite recolors and creating Pokemon maps for a forum I used to be a part of, but all that used existing assets, mostly open source, out on the web. Shading, blending, and creating my own stuff, however...I was terrible at lol. I did take a mod class for PS and a couple other Adobe products in college, but that was a long time ago. I've forgotten pretty much all of it by now. XD

I'd kind of like to try real golf at some point, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'd have the patience for a full set of holes. I'm not a fan of sports in general, in real life or in video game form. I do loosely keep track of the MLB when their playoffs really start, but that's more for the standings than anything else.

Neat! Even I've heard of Sonic '06! That's one I'd like to try just because it's supposedly so bad, it's good! Honestly, the DS's library likely would have pulled me in more than anything the Xbox 360 had. Though I think the previous franchises I mentioned, plus other series like Uncharted and Fable, would have also kept me quite busy if I'd had normal access.

@BruceCM We'll see how the monastery stuff goes. At least I know it's skippable should the time come! I did actually enjoy some of the My Castle stuff in Fire Emblem Fates, though a lot of it felt like filler.

@bimmy-lee No felines currently. I'd love a couple of them, but I'm not overly fond of the idea of having a cat indoors due to previous foul experiences when cat sitting (Not at my place, at their places of residence; I was just checking on them, taking care of them, playing with them if they weren't stranger-hating recluses, etc.). Outdoors is out of the question where I live as the risk of coming home to a flat cat is extremely high. I've thought of getting something smaller that can be in its own enclosure, but some smaller animals like reptiles and rodents can come with their own fair share of issues.

Puppies are indeed a lot like toddlers! Not to mention they get into just about everything. And you should REALLY be worried when it's strangely quiet.

@HeavyArms55 I've played the two main routes of Fire Emblem Fates. I'd sort of understand the ire at the "Pokemon" approach if the games only had a few differences between them. However, past the first few chapters, the plot is completely different. They aren't the strongest FE games I've played, but there's certainly plenty to enjoy on both routes. The only thing that bothered me about the whole thing was how limited (and, therefore, scalped) the triple game cartridge was at the time. As it's purely DLC, I haven't played the Revelations path. Micro SD space issues aside, I've also heard that particular route is a bit of a mess, both mechanically and story-wise. Can't say I'm as eager to play it as the other two. Conquest is my favorite route of the two I did play thanks to its maps and more enjoyable characters (Effie, Arthur, Charlotte, Elise, Leo, and Keaton to name a few), though I agree that Birthright's story is better.

As for fan service in FE...I'm mixed on it all. I have no problem with attractive characters in games, as long as that isn't their only defining trait; a decent characterization in my eyes works wonders. Really, the only FE character I have an issue with in this department is (like I need to list her lol) Camilla. In either main route, even the Conquest route, there really doesn't seem to be much to her femme fatale personality besides "I dote on/love my siblings and retainers; everything else dies". Heck, I'd call her obsession with Corrin (on either route) borderline unhealthy. Granted, it's possible I've missed a vital support conversation. Not to mention there are a couple of moments where I feel that there's a little too much focus on her...assets in cutscenes. The fact that she has voluptuous features is fine; it's the dragging focus and waste of a character that bother me. With how decent some of the other characters are written on the Nohr side and how they progress - in the main story and especially with their supports - I feel like her character is a letdown.

Edit: I should mention that she isn't the only FE character whose characterization could be better; others like Kellam from Awakening and Setsuna from Fates come to mind.

Also can't speak to the Corrin in Smash thing other than the Fire Emblem character hate. But I'm not involved in the Smash community at all, so it doesn't concern me.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, The World Ends With You: Final Remix

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Tyranexx

@TheJGG They've started allowing minors ages 12 and up to get one of the three vaccines in circulation here (Pfizer). I still have some minor misgivings related to any potential long-term effects, but I also understand how critical it is to start building up herd immunity to this ever-changing bug. Some incentives for people to receive the vaccine, besides scenarios like those laid out in cough that mess of an article we both commented in, being allowed to travel to other countries and not having to quarantine (depending on destination) is also a huge motivator for some here. Contrary to the negative reactions of some Americans that hit the news waves and social media, the vast majority of the population is getting vaccinated.

Honestly, to an extent...I'll miss some of the isolation. I'm not a hermit by any means, but admittedly I'm perfectly happy spending several days in succession just to myself; I have more than enough things around the house in both the "Have to do" and hobby departments to keep me busy. Part of me will miss having less things to get dragged off to lol. Conversely, I've resolved to try to spend a little more time with the people in my life as, unsurprisingly, such interpersonal relationships have really suffered during the past while.

No prob! I can tell a lot of work has went into what I've listened to so far. Honestly, while the Link's Awakening remake played most things a little safe, the retooled soundtrack was one of my favorite aspects. They even kept in the nods to Totaka's Song! Hmm...I've just been listening on my laptop spearkers so far. I bet the tunes would be even better with headphones! I also need to get a decent sound bar at some point....

In coding, you're constantly learning. Moreso if you need to stay on top of more than one language! The field, like technology, is constantly changing. I've heard of Scratch and know of it as a decent learning tool, though I haven't tried it. As for Arduinos, I've seen those in action but haven't messed around with them; I keep meaning to experiment with those or a Raspberry Pi at some point. An acquaintance in the field likes messing around with robotics and has used both of those devices for small projects. It's been a bit since I've talked to him, but he was wanting to try to create an automatic watering and irrigation system for a small indoor garden. Tech is fun to dive into (most of it anyway), but I wouldn't say anyone is bad at it. Practice makes perfect!

Game Builder Garage looks like a fun tool, one of those sandbox creation games that has a TON of potential. If I didn't have plenty of other games to get around to, I could see myself sinking a lot of time into it. I'm pretty much the same way with games like Minecraft and Super Mario Maker. Excellent concepts where your imagination is the limit in most cases. If I were younger and had less disposable income and more time on my hands, I'd certainly go to town!

On FF VII: I'm curious to see in what direction SE takes the remaining two Remake games. There's a ton of potential there. Knowing how dear the original game is to so many, I imagine they're very careful about the changes they are making. They won't please everyone, but aiming for making the vast majority happy is a noble goal!

BotW didn't give me too much trouble at the very beginning until I encountered my first major Bokoblin camp. It's laughable to think about now, but the weapons I had the time were...not great, and those blue variants definitely had some meat on their bones. I think I finally one through some well-timed explosions and attrition lol. I'd probably join the broken controller crowd when it comes to any Souls game lol. I do agree that, outside of a few enemies, BotW became a lot easier even with scaling. Especially when one gets the max 27 (Maxed out the stamina meter) hearts. Though I don't think I ever tackled the strongest Lynel type.

I'm mixed on fan content, at least the content that isn't asking for a profit. A lot of it isn't as great as the real thing, but there are some fan pieces that are genuinely amazing. At the end of the day though, it technically isn't their property to do anything with. I do wish Nintendo would make a couple of exceptions, such as with AM2R, but the problem is, then I could see them coming under fire for being selective about what content they allow. On one hand, I understand not wanting to cheapen some of their brand recognition with cruddy knockoffs. But on the other...some of these fan projects are just crying for official acknowledgement.

Currently playing: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, The World Ends With You: Final Remix

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx I didn't personally mind the separate releases for Fates. But I know a LOT of people did and still do. I don't mind it, but I also don't care for it and I'm glad they did not continue that pattern with FE3H.

Though I am still kind of sad that we never got a 5th route in FE3H where the characters end up allied and fighting against "the things that lurk in the dark" and I think that no matter which route we take, that story element is never really properly resolved. It would be interesting to see a direct sequel to the game with different routes based on the different routes from the first.

Also, my headcanon is that the true route is Byleth(girl) siding with Edelgard against the church. I know they don't intend for there to be a true route, but still. For me anyway.

I haven't played all 3 routes of Fates completely yet, but I would set aside what you've heard about the 3rd route and judge for yourself. Fates is one of those games, kind of like SWSH, that has a lot of loud haters. It might be that you end up agreeing with the critiques, but I'd say this is one of those things you should judge for yourself because the general feeling online toward it seems... tainted.

I understand what you mean with Camilla, but I also know why she's in the game - being that that happens to be a fairly common and popular trope in Japanese fiction. The doting big sister mixed with the "yandere" violent jealousy personality. But that does seem to be where her character ends for the most part. So I'd call that a very fair critique.

TheJGG

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Though I am still kind of sad that we never got a 5th route in FE3H where the characters end up allied and fighting against "the things that lurk in the dark" and I think that no matter which route we take, that story element is never really properly resolved. It would be interesting to see a direct sequel to the game with different routes based on the different routes from the first.

@Heavyarms55 To start, you said some story sensitive points which aren't under spoiler bars so for people who haven't played the game they could get spoiled.

There's two sides of me with this argument. The inner fan and lore/story appreciator in me would want to have a true route where everyone unites against Those Who Slither in the Dark, but it would defeat the whole game's narrative if there was one. It would make all the other game endings feel "incorrect" and "non-canon", whereas they all are canon depending on your choices.

I think that the idea that the entire story can't be encapsulated and experienced in one playthrough is a strength of the game, because there's so much stuff going on in the background behind you during your monastery and war days. Plus, when you have the choice to side with Edelgard in the Holy Tomb, there's the opportunity to experience the story both ways, from the church's side and then Edelgard's.

One of the biggest takeaways from the story is that it it didn't paint every character as inherently good, or bad. Edelgard can be a protagonist you feel sorry for, or a heartless villain who you'll take pleasure in finally killing. I know I felt the latter when I completed Azure Moon. Dimitri similarly has duality, he's either a heartless monster or a broken, lost hero depending on how you play and look at the game. Some "villains" aren't evil and some "good guys" are actually evil. And so on...

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II

"I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours." - Cheshire Cat.

If you'd like to add me on Switch, tag me first!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

TheJGG

And carrying on from the YouTube comments @Vortexeo... I've stalled a bit in FFXII but I managed to clear Henne Mines quite easily. Then I celebrated by getting wiped out by the next boss, so I have some work to do. I had already put time into learning the Zodiac Job System and it's felt pretty good so far.

I've admittedly put more time into Final Fantasy X, I'm approaching the end of the game so it's starting to get really good! I'm almost at Mt. Gagazet, so I know there'll be a few challenging boss fights ahead!

Snatcher

I keep saying to myself "I will play FF7 tomorrow" The next day "Tomorrow for sure" I have been saying this for a month now LOL.

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

BruceCM

Well, there's some things there that are worth doing regularly, @Tyranexx.... Which I got pretty quick & efficient with! I'm sure there's guides around that'd cover the other bits if you want

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

TheJGG

So is everyone here just going to stop buying games until after E3’s over? I know @Snatcher will...

BruceCM

Nope, I'll still get the games I want that are coming up, @TheJGG.... Some of those are already paid for but there's some that didn't have the option to do that
The games that only get revealed at E3 probably won't be out for months, so you'd have awhile to wait....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

TheJGG

I’ve stuck to that rule for a month already @BruceCM, but with extreme discounts there’s simply no debate. Like last week when someone at Sony thought it was a good idea to put KH 1.5+2.5 on discount for £9.99. Couldn’t have bought it faster even if I tried.

Snatcher

@TheJGG Oh I did say that LOL, cool that you rememberd.

A sky with stars so bright the colors feel so right I nev, Uh I mean. I'm a Among us plus sonic fan. I have also been playing a unheathy amount of MHR (Don't try to stop me)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic