Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,281 to 36,300 of 96,524

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia Biodegradable cups are a good idea though. :/

But man, environmental science jobs pay figures? As in dollars?! Man, why did I take a teaching job?!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 Biodegradable cups (other than paper, or specifically, plant-based ones) sound like a good idea. But they have 2 dark sides the "earth friendly (or, ahem, 'millennial focused' )" marketing hides. First: The amount of (insanely toxic) plasticizer required to turn plant starch into polymer is a factor and hold there is of a magnitude several times more than that of petroleum. If you can hide the toxins at the factory they "don't exist and it's therefore green!" They may degrade better, but the product itself is actually more toxic. Second: They have a very short shelf life - they start degrading in storage if they sit even moderately long or are exposed to even moderately severe temperatures (which a plastic cup is going to be subjected to freezing and high temps often in storage/transit), as the starchest start breaking down and plasticizer starts leeching out in a fixed amount of time and the product becomes brittle. That means any unused inventory, where it could sit forever in traditional plastics, end up being discarded, re-manufactured, re-shipped, and re-sold. Meaning more energy, and yet more toxic plasticizer. And on top of it all they're more expensive to begin with due to the costly and resource intensive process to make them (plus some extra money for the prestige image associated with anything "green".) So they become one of those yuppie/'millennial' image things of "I'm so green with my sustainable, biodegradable cups." Not that I'm championing the microplastics traditional plastics break into, either. But I'm slamming the imaginary "solution" the smug like to flaunt as a status symbol.

I don't know how, but yeah, these kids are like 25 making well over six figures in "trendy" careers like that. And renting $2,000/mo apartments, while calling it "affordable housing."

NEStalgia

Eel

As far as I know, most of these just use regular plastic, with plant based fillers.

Edit: I got my 8bitdo lite, it's... Adorable.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

NEStalgia

@Eel Heh, yeah there's the P.T. Barnum approach too....which is what most "green"/"healthy" stuff is. Organic is also a complete joke for the rich to spend their money on. There's no such thing as an organic crop. Once the seeds from a nearby field blow in, the entire crop is tainted anyway, and you have no idea where the seeds actually came from and what mixed in. But the wealthy will plunk an extra 50% down for the promise....

Some of the cups really are real plant polymers. But they never tell you about the plasticizing of it. The amount of chemical in one cup could down an elephant. But we pretend that going into the water is better.

NEStalgia

Eel

I probably won't be using it with the switch lite itself, but gosh they are perfect together.

(I use the plastic stand only to charge the lite, with a cable coming out of the regular switch's dock. It's the one charging the controller at the moment)

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

MsJubilee

I'm gonna miss Morpheel. If I met him in the real world i'd party with him.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

NEStalgia

Morpheel was alright. Anyone know what happened to that StableInvadeel guy? He was here most of the time and then just vanished? Was he banned? Not surprising, I figured it was only a matter of time. Obvious troll.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Yeah, he was banned. I believe it was because of him being the main reason behind the disappearance/bullying of Meowpheel and Yosheel, which ultimately came to light when he pretended to be them...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Ohh, so that's what happened! I knew they left but I didn't know why. I wonder why the mods let him go on so long? He should have been banned ages ago!

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Eel But is that rEely how you fEel about it?

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@Eel Ah... I see what you squid there...

NEStalgia

This whole thing seems fishy. Are we shore this eel isn't an alt account of StableInvadeel? I can't kelp but think some more drama is coming schooner or later.

NEStalgia

NintendoByNature

@Eel so how are you liking that controller? @Zuljaras sweet amiibo my dude. Simon is My main in smash. I think the only amiibo I'd consider is Simon or toy link

NintendoByNature

Heavyarms55

@NEStalgia Eh, they are a good idea but the execution is clearly not there yet.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

bimmy-lee

Did you guys hear that StableInvadeel freaked out about Sw/Sh and got banned? I haven’t heard for sure, but I’m pretty sure it happened. Cool setup @Eel .

Last night, my kids were rummaging around a low shelf in the living room and found my copy of Wooly World with the Amiibo included. For some reason, I never opened the Yarn Yoshi Amiibo, and they wanted it oooouuuuttt immediately of course. It felt weird to open it up after sitting in the box for so long, but he’s on a higher shelf now, free from his clear plastic prison.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

TheFrenchiestFry

Sw/Sh can wait
It can wait for a long time given recent events

I just preloaded Jedi Fallen Order on Steam and that takes all priority for now

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic