Video: Citizens of Earth Recruitment is All About Favours

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Being Vice President of the World isn't enough

Citizens of Earth has had an interesting history, with the charming RPG struggling and missing the mark on Kickstarter before Atlus stepped in to publish. Coming to Wii U and 3DS, among other platforms, it's been described — stylistically — as having similarities to Super NES classic EarthBound, which adds a little extra pressure.

The concept, in which you're Vice President of the World and recruit civilians to help you save the planet, certainly sounds suitable for a quirky adventure; the cartoony visuals also do it no harm. Atlus is gradually building up some interest in the title with trailers to show how this RPG will shape up, and over the weekend published the video below — it shows how locating citizens isn't enough for recruitment, but you also have to complete some favours to keep them sweet.

This title is due later this year — the September window from earlier this year seems to have been dropped — so let us know what you think.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I don't like the VA, and hope I could turn it off, that is, if I even purchase this.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Just read that most of the world is optional to explore, which makes the story seem like it will be short unless you want to 100 % the game, PASS!

ekreig

ekreig said:

Do we know if this is still coming to 3DS? I sure would love to play it.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

said it once ill say it again, this demands some big shoes to fill. this will be an interesting review on nl thats for sure.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I've been quite interested in this one since I first saw Earthbound mentioned by the devs, but the graphics scream "generic flash game" for me. I wish it had a bit more personality.

Either way, I'll definitely give it a go when it hits.

Wouwter

Wouwter said:

"it's been described — stylistically — as having similarities to Super NES classic EarthBound"

Can someone point out these similarities to me? I really don't see them and it's strange to me how every article about this game mentions Earthbound.

S3OL

S3OL said:

Can't wait for this! Depending on this price, this'll be a day one purchase for me.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Wouwter The battle scenes really remind me of Earthbound, and the top-down overworld with your party walking behind you. If they did that on purpose -which I hardly doubt they did- they may very well have taken other clues from that wonderful title. And Atlus often means 'good' in my book, so I have high hopes for this game.

Cainenghis

Cainenghis said:

I might actually get this game after watching the video, this could turn out really well.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I really dislike the VP and it seems he is an unchangeable main character, think i'll skip this unless it turns out amazing.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Skeptical, and it does have a bit of that Earthbound feel, even if it feels like a flash game more.

To be honest, I hate those text bubbles crowding out the middle of the screen. And it seems like the took out the rolling HP bars that made the Mother series so gripping to me.

Picking this up for 3DS because Atlus.