Poptropica: Forgotten Islands is One for the 3DS Kids This October

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ubisoft pushes the boat out

We know that Ubisoft is happy to support Nintendo with anything but "mature" games, and it's fulfilling that brief with the announcement that it's publishing a learning game for 3DS - Poptropica: Forgotten Islands.

Poptropica is an online 'virtual world' for children that includes games to improve literacy and provide other aspects of learning. There's a browser-based experience that allows some stages to be accessed for free, though there's also a paid monthly membership. This 3DS retail title is an adaptation of that online setup, promising a sizeable world and a lot of activities; there was also a Poptropica game on DS, too.

This looks like it could be fun for young gamers when it lands in North America on 14th October, especially as it allows plenty of character customisation. Perhaps us older gamers will have to make do with being a little more forgotten, though there are a handful of Ubisoft games coming to Wii U and 3DS, such as Tetris Ultimate, Just Dance 2015 and the in-all-likelihood-doomed Watch Dogs.

Musterd

Musterd said:

Poptropica is awesome! I used to play it all the time. Never really thought of it as a learning game, though.

Donutman

Donutman said:

Day 1 purchase, thanks ubisoft. Why would I want to play watch dogs or assassins creed when I can play a game that teaches me to write. Even my kids won't be interested in this.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I saw Poptropica DS at GameStop & decided to pass on it because not sure of the game series what it was about at the time. Maybe I'll try 3ds version! ;) Look's awesome from the video! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Look, I don't want games like this. I want mature games, especially on my 3DS. I suppose I'll just have to cut my consumer ties with Ubisoft, that's how this works.

FishieFish

FishieFish said:

I remember playing this in 2008-2009 with my friends in school before it became a paid membership game.
It's actually a really fun game.
I wonder what the 3DS version is like

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

Dude, Poptropica is great! I haven't played it in years though, i've moved on. But kids love this game!

Hotfusion

Hotfusion said:

Pretty much what UbiSoft is saying is that Nintendo is for kids. Adults play on the PS and Xbox.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

I remember playing this on a computer in school in like third grade, it was fun... Back then. Cmon, give gamers what they want ubisoft

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

What I never understand with 3rd parties is why is it always this either/or thing? Why does a game have to be distinctly "kiddie" instead of just kid-friendly? I've had this problem last-gen with all the stuff EA released on Wii before deciding nothing sells on the platform.

Nintendo absolutely nails the whole kids-love-it-but-adults-love-it-too-vibe, Why can't anyone else get this right? It's either all blood and gore or all sugar and rainbows with 3rd parties.

The only thing good I can say about Ubisoft's Nintendo support these days is that they steadily improved the Just Dance franchise by putting more effort and resources to it, and I'm not that big a fan of Just Dance. :(

accc

accc said:

It's amazing how bad Ubisoft is at making games. If I was this bad at my job, I would quit out of embarrassment and try to find a new line of work.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Ubisoft is actually good at making games the real thing they actually need to work on is customer service area like when you call & are genuinely curious how to fix a problem in a game & the manager rings you out over the phone for simply asking how to fix a problem in a game they create & refuse to answer or help to resolve the issue in a game. Like Baby Life - DS my one save slot is still coroded in the game with no way of how to fix the issue...

Almost stopped buying games made by ubisoft because of that issue with the manager of ubisoft being rude in 2008.

I forgive i do not forget though.
Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

Omg that artstyle is ugly. This is my issue with modern cartoons and edutainment. Who voted on these art styles?

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

@brandonbwii I suspect because they can't beat Nintendo at their knack for making games literally for everyone. So they hope for the parent that wants something that they feel is age appropriate or the really young kid with the impulse buy syndrome. Then again I heard a 10 year old in a gamestop dismissing W101 because the box was "too colorful" so perhaps they want a defined niche rather than Nintendo's across the board buy it because its fun approach.