Dolphin Up is Joining the Sea of Wii U eShop Games Soon

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Is there an ecco in here?

The Wii U eShop is gradually building a collection of accessible, quickfire gaming fixes, particularly in North America. Some of these are ports of iOS and Android titles, and we can add Dolphin Up — from Rawkins Games — to that growing list.

The origins of this title appear to be in Dolphin Olympics and its sequel, which were originally released as free PC browser-based games. Dolphin Up is the smart device port from these titles, with the developer aiming for a September release — in North America at least — on Nintendo's system. The gameplay revolves around tricks and momentum, gradually building up to ever more fantastical leaps and combos; there also seem to be a variety of environments and hazards to take on.

Online leaderboards will be included, so this title is clearly trying to bring that "one more run" mentality to the Wii U eShop. Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

I really wouldn't compare this to Ecco The Dolphin since that game was more of a Metroidvania underwater platformer whereas this game is more of a trick-based game that focuses on its online leaderboard. :P

smikey

smikey said:

It's called dolphin up and 18 seconds into the video it's being played as a killer whale which is in no way a dolphin.
in any event I wouldn't remotely compare it to Ecco either (not that the subtitle did just the answer to that question was a resounding no ;)) it looks like a basic high score chaser which might do ok if it's got a cheap price but I love in the uk anyway and there seem to be plenty of low priced wii u e-shop games that haven't made it over here yet (not always a bad thing perhaps)

smikey

smikey said:

@ejvirzi

I stand corrected ;) that's the first time I've ever heard that (and quickly looked it up) in my entire life
Thanks for teaching me something new next time the wife to be says she wants to swim with dolphins I'll be sure to ask her if that's what she has in mind.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

This may appeal to the 'Blue Ocean' Nintendo are always chasing.I wonder if that's its porpoise?

AlexOlneyStaff

AlexOlney said:

@smikey The name 'killer whale' is actually originally from a bad translation, where the locals who lived near the creatures referred to them as 'whale killer'.

True story.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

Dolphin Olympics is one of my personal favorites. I look forward to finally playing this with real buttons.

peterdavid12345

peterdavid12345 said:

Coming in here from Wii U Daily and just wanna said that love THIS GAME!
I'm out, peace.
Please leave the profanity at the door next time — TBD

S3OL

S3OL said:

Looks like a generic "score as many points as you can" game that you can play on flash game websites for free.

Not interested. :/

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

The start of the video looks like what I used to do in Ecco 1 when I didn't want to leave the opening stage.

That said, it's not trippy enough. There's Always room for more to-be iconic music, and this also could use a fair amount more of rainbows, narwhals and/or unicorns - metallic or not.

derickw69

derickw69 said:

Surprisingly....I'm intrigued by this. Seriously, I was gonna leave after I read the article, but I watched the video, and it looks like something I could see myself playing for a couple minutes after a stressing day. Keep the price somewhere around the $2.99 - $4.99 range and you've got a sale from me.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I think I played the browser version of this, and it was surprisingly fun and addicting. If the price is right, I might get it on the Wii U.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Pahvi I know what you mean. The controls in the first Ecco made swimming around lots of fun, but I found the actual game to be a lot less fun than the opening bit. This could be a winner!