You May Need This Super Famicom or SNES Game Boy Advance System in Your Life

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Deep breath...

Well constructed mods of retro systems are among our favourite things here at Nintendo Life, and we recently featured GameBoyMods.uk's Shaun Jones, who unsurprisingly specialises in modding the original 'brick' system. We also interviewed Matthew "Wiggy" Wiggins of Rose Colored Gaming last year, a company that specialises in gorgeous mods of retro consoles. That site also infamously caused a stir with a Luigi-themed 2DS that was so well constructed that it was initially 'leaked' as a Nintendo product.

Rose Colored Games is now getting ready to release two lovely new Game Boy Advance models, which are based on Super Famicom and Super NES controllers — they'll be backlit and are currently listed as "coming soon" on the company's official website. On Facebook, meanwhile, it's been confirmed that initial construction is already underway and that availability may begin as early as next week.

Check them out below, though they'll be pricey. Rose Colored Gaming has already confirmed they'll be "pricier" than the standard GBA mods, which are typically $165.

Will you be keeping an eye out for stock and paying out for one of these?

[via rosecoloredgaming.com, facebook.com, reddit.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

I always feel a bit bad for you guys in America when I see those purple buttons.
If I didn't own one and if I would still need to use it, I'd totally get one of the GBAs with the right colours :p

Falchion

Falchion said:

These are always really cool but are always way too expensive for me to ever buy one

Nabecoat

Nabecoat said:

Following the color codes, A and B keep their mapping, but X and Y become L and R? So what happens to the SNES/SFC shoulder buttons? Are we two buttons short here?

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

... I think I just might. The Super Famicom version of course, I could never love the american SNES colour scheme or X/Y buttons.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

I remember seeing Rose Colored Gaming at this year's SXSW Gaming Expo, and trying their "GBA Light"s. They were awesome, and came in different colors.

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

That SNES themed one looks fantastic! I know a lot of people don't like its color scheme, but having grown up with a SNES, it's what looks right to me. Too bad it's so expensive...

CaviarMeths

CaviarMeths said:

Hmm I just might...

Not anytime soon though. Still recovering from the Great Library Expansion of 2013.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@Tsurii897 See, that's the thing about experiencing one version first during your childhood - the purple buttons are the right ones. That's the colour scheme, or it's not immediately recognisable as a Super NES. Not to us, anyway, and I love it just as it is/was.

@Great_Gonzalez @Shiryu Sheesh, why's everyone got it against the classic purple? "PURPLE IS A COLOUR."

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I immediately fell in love with the purple buttons because that was my childhood and what I experienced in my tender gaming years.

SO LAY OFF MY PURPLE BUTTONS, GUYS. Sheesh.

HappilyCandied

HappilyCandied said:

In all seriousness, I still get that giddy, butterflies-in-my-stomach, feeling whenever I see those gorgeous purple buttons against the gray when it comes to gaming devices. SNES is my all-time favorite system (with my favorite RPGs). I feel the need to own these other handheld systems that resemble it.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

Odd, I had a SNES up until recently and it had the colourful buttons - were the purple & grey America only?

As for the GBA? Nope - you can get them second hand now for under £20. I'd rather consider buying a few second hand ones & try spray painting them. I can fail 7 times and STILL save money.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I think I would like an original GBA (With the best type of backlight) and the dpad and buttons like new. I have a DS Lite but I think I prefer the ergonomics of first GBA. Suppose I would want the battery pack as well.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I just looked at purple as Nintendo's colour for a long time. There was the SNES colour scheme, the GameCube and GBA were of course purple, and the N64 that we had was one of those translucent ones, and it was purple, too. Until the Wii, I just looked at it as Nintendo's trademark colour, despite their logo being red.