HullBreach Studios Bringing New RPG, Tomeling, Exclusively to Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

SDK Paint given rating and is close to arriving, too

Update:

HullBreach Studios has confirmed more details for SDK Paint. Unsurprisingly the GamePad will be the main interface, with support file formats including PNG, JPEG, GIF and MPO. It'll have its own dedicated servers and galleries, and there'll be free and paid DLC — some free DLC will also be offered as part of the app's ability to link with HullBreach: Uncloaked. Ship templates will be included, and the cross-game support will allow players to customise the latter game; another unnamed title will also have connectivity features with SDK paint next year.

Original Article:

HullBreach Studios is currently working on its ambitious space exploration title HullBreach: Uncloaked, though is continuing to develop other projects for Wii U. SDK Paint is a "layer-based paint studio with multiple brushes and filters" already available on smart devices, with illustrations given a pseudo-3D effect; it's now been rated for the Wii U eShop in North America and is due soon — during Q3 — for $1.99. HullBreach: Uncloaked does have a provisional rating, though is still a little further away.

The company has also given us the first details on two more titles it's developing, both of which will also be available on the Wii U. First up is Tomeling in Trouble, an action game that sounds like a non-stop runner that's coming to Android and iOS in Q3 / Q4 this year. It's relevant to Wii U gamers as it'll be bundled with a larger RPG project for that IP, simply called Tomeling, which will be an exclusive on Nintendo's system at a later date. This RPG will reportedly have both 2D and 3D elements.

Details are scarce beyond that as the company waits to reveal more, though it's certainly active in bringing its titles to the eShop.

Related Games

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

RPGs always have my attention, but I'm not a huge fan of the design for the character.

Tops

Tops said:

The character looks like an ice cream sandwich with eyes and legs. Too oblong.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

This needs to stop. Seriously. "Percy's Predicament" looks like garbage. "HullBreach Uncloaked" looks like the CG stuff we made in the lab when I was in high school... IN 1996. This tripe looks WORSE than shovelware. I'm all for Nintendo opening up the eShop to indie developers, but I mean come on already — it shouldn't be a freaking testing ground for mom's basement devs who just want to be able to put "game published on Wii U" on their resumes.

I have no idea what the gameplay is like, and I don't care. I know graphics aren't everything, but literally every screen shot I've seen from this studio looks bleeping awful. For crying out loud, there's more production value in "Funky Barn"!

MAB

MAB said:

The good news about SDK Paint is everybody can create their own Mad Men Football type games now ;)

Action51

Action51 said:

@JJtheTexan

Oh my god, your description "looks like the CG stuff we made in the lab when I was in high school... IN 1996." made me think of this abomination:
Untitled

LOL!

While the art application for $1.99 sounds cool and will be another good use for the gamepad, I agree the dumping of unpolished turds onto the E-shop should stop.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I like the idea of cross-game features, I'll probably pick up SDK Paint when it becomes available.

World

World said:

@Tops True, but I know I'D be listening if someone pitched a game by saying the main character really was an ice cream sandwich with legs.

Spectator

Spectator said:

I hope that character can actually do something, because it
feels like they aren't even trying.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

What happened to the Nintendo Seal of Quality like back in the NES days? Because they seriously need to bring that back. This crap along with Chubbins and a few other titles need to be turned away until they can actually find some decent artists. This stuff just looks sad.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Not excited until I see the actual game. When it comes to RPG I need to see the game first before getting all hype up.

element187

element187 said:

@ricklongo thankfully visuals in RPG's don't matter very much, so the designs don't phase me much.

Like you, any new RPG has my attention. My 3DS is overflowing with them, so it would be nice to get one on Wii U

Iggly

Iggly said:

These indies must be trying to appeal to me if the articles we're getting for new indie games are about food, please make better quality ice cream sandwiches if that's the case. ;)