Big Deez Productions Discusses Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn and Why It's a Beat 'em Up

Posted by Jake Shapiro

"I don't think anyone would have really cared about a Shaq shooter"

Matt Karch, CEO of Big Deez Productions, recently sat down for an interview with Red Bull to shed light on the potential Indiegogo-funded Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn. He discussed the direct involvement of basketball legend Shaquille O'Neal, and made sure to distance A Legend Reborn from its poorly-received predecessor, 1994's Shaq Fu.

When I met Shaq he told me he wanted to get back into games. I told him he couldn't do anything until we addressed the massively pulsing sore thumb called Shaq-Fu... We are dropping pretty much everything [from the first game] but that element of cheesy absurdity. Oh, and we are keeping Shaq of course. We might have a few cameos from new and improved versions of old characters, but that's about it.

It's curious that a game being marketed so heavily on its nostalgia factor would want to be "definitely-not-a-sequel," as Karch described it. A Legend Reborn is going for a beat 'em up style, while the original was a fighting game. "We discussed other options... but I don't think anyone would have really cared about a Shaq shooter."

With the Street Fighter and Devil May Cry influences on the game's aesthetics, A Legend Reborn has the potential for massive violence. However, Karch insisted the game will stay true to Shaq's kid-friendly appeal.

Shaq has a well-deserved reputation of being a good family-friendly guy and having him tote guns around doesn't really match his image. We will be going for more of an over-the-top thing than a gory thing. As much as I would love to see Shaq rip off a head and pitch it at a second enemy, I don't think it's in line with Shaq's image. Expect exaggerated physics and ragdolls galore, just not copious amounts of gore.

O'Neal seems to be heavily involved in the production of A Legend Reborn. Karch says Big Deez is even "planning on creating a live action sequence with Shaq that sets up the game." Big Deez promises a release on Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PS3, and Xbox 360 if its Indiegogo campaign reaches its $450,000 base goal. As of this writing, the campaign has raised just under $217,000 with 20 days to go — an extension after missing its previous deadline. Do you think this Shaq Fu non-sequel will be a slam dunk or an air ball? Let us know below.

[via redbull.com]

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Starting to feel like this is the closest we'll get to a Street Fighter game on Wii U.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I don't remember Shaq Fu particularly negatively. (Don't remember loving it or hating it only playing it).

(Normally remember more about the games I particularly liked or disliked).

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

The negative impression of the original makes it hard for many to take this project seriously, but I see a lot of potential and fun in there, so I might just go and back it at last.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Hahaha.... Oh I'm backing this game just for that last line they threw in there. He said, "Please back this game. If for nothing else, just so the French don't win". Wow. Ok, I can spare $20 lol

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Well, keeping a distance from the original game is a good start. A beat em up May not be so bad if they can get it right.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Sorry Devs and Shaq, but I'm calling an airball. And even if the game is makes its goal, it still has the same uphill battle that all licensed games do.

ToniK

ToniK said:

The art style is amazing but I haven't been into beat 'em ups since the mid-nineties :D

Champollion

Champollion said:

You mean there are actually people who remember there even was an original? The powers of nostalgia will never cease to amaze me.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I have a marketing tip for you... If you intend to distance yourself from one of the worst games ever made, don't have it's title in YOUR title.

Just the words Shaq-Fu strike fear and anger into the hearts of gamers everywhere from that era. Thus, call your game Shaq - A Legend Reborn. That Fu just killed your entire game because nobody wants another Shaq-Fu.