Video: Puzzle Mashup Puyo Puyo Tetris Works Better Than You Might Think

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

Two puzzle giants collide, with interesting results

We've dished out info on Sega's curious Puyo Puyo and Tetris fusion before, but now the playable demo has finally hit the Japanese eShop we've been able to get our grubby mitts on it and give you a real look at how it all works.

It sounds quite jarring to play Puyo Puyo against someone else who's playing Tetris, but as it turns out the two go together like blonde-haired adventurers and green tunics. If you're playing Puyo-style, any "trash" blocks generated by your opponent land on top of your little blobby pile and if you prefer to stick to Tetris then your opponent's garbage becomes grey blocks that push your Tetriminos up from underneath. It's simple and it works - without compromising the way either of the two games play. Perfect.

Options are severely limited in the demo — you pick a character and a play style for yourself, do the same for your opponent and that's it — two rounds of Puyo-on-Tetrimino action. The good news is that even with a setup as slim as this it's still brilliant fun, and we're itching to get stuck in to the full suite of modes and options once Puyo Puyo Tetris releases in Japan on the 6th February.

In the meantime grab the demo from the Japanese eShop if you can, but beware — you only get five goes before you're locked out for good!

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

This looks pretty good :p I can see the steam coming out of my ears when a finishing move is thwarted by a grey brick :p I hope it supports online multiplayer, if so its a definite instabuy for me

N64ever

N64ever said:

Okay this game is awesome I hope we get a western release. By the way Nintendo life where do you get your news? Nintendo Everything had this post up hours ago. I wish you could get more exciting game content up quicker instead of all this company finance crap. I used to not give a crap about it till you started constantly posting it and I got sucked into it taking away the fun I was having. Well for now on I am sticking to gaming news and not letting you suck me into this world of financial doom and sales crap. I never cared about it before and I need to quit caring about it now and enjoy the games I have more and look forward to upcoming titles. Man do I ever wish we still had Nintendo power I miss the real game previews.

foxizard

foxizard said:

Awesome! I've been waiting for this for a while myself, curious how it would would work out.

After trying the demo, I was amazed at (as the article points out) how flawless the two games work together.

A bit miffed about only having 5 tries of the demo though as I've been spoiled with so many ones that have 30 tries ><.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Once again, SEGA: bring it worldwide! This would be the the first competitive online muktiplayer puzzle game on almost all platforms you release this for! DO IT!!!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

I never knew how Puyo Puyo played, but it looks like Magic Bubbles the other way round - definitely appealing to me. Plus I love Tetris. Would definitely get this!

Fierbird

Fierbird said:

Meh, it was ok. It depends on how much it costs, because tetris is old, and you can only play for so long before you go crazy.

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

The demo was neat! I just wish you could make the opponents more difficult! (I'm sure you can in the full version like in the other Puyo games though) I'm looking forward to the game now though. Looks like a lot of fun!

KimimiStaff

Kimimi said:

@Tsukun You can. Before you hit ゲームスタート after selecting you/your opponent's characters highlight the next option down - that's the difficulty select. Options are -

激甘 (very sweet)
甘口 (sweet/mild)
中辛 (slighty spicy - default setting)
辛口 (spicy)